Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,869 times

Advertisements

I live in SC and want to buy land in NC. Do I need a SC attorney to close the land since I'm a SC resident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times
Many places do have a higher tax rate on a not lived in residence as in when it is not ones primary residence. That having been said, a few % higher tax when property/real estate taxes are already low (like in SC) is quite a bit difference is actual dollars then a state where property/real estate taxes are very high like NH whom does not even have a sales tax.

I believe (and have the experience to say so) that property/real estate taxes on a 2nd (non-primary) home in SC will be way less then such in many other states.

Do not bite your nose off to spite your face, as many simple, no experience, and/or non-thinkers out here do.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 AM

71 posts, read 312,464 times
Obviously, you are trying to protect your state taxation (ripoff) policy for non-residents. I challenge you to post other states where NRs pay three times the taxes of the residents. In addition, having the residents pay ZERO in their property taxes to support educational operating expenses is egregious.
I know that the sales tax was increased 1% to support education but c'mon 1% on $20,000 of taxable purchases (which is a lot) equals $200. My levy for school operations is $2,500. How much do you pay in property taxes to educate YOUR children? NC is a far better investment. All taxpayers pay the same rate.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN5147 View Post
I know that the sales tax was increased 1% to support education but c'mon 1% on $20,000 of taxable purchases (which is a lot) equals $200. My levy for school operations is $2,500. How much do you pay in property taxes to educate YOUR children? NC is a far better investment. All taxpayers pay the same rate.

Actually, residents do pay for the schools. In my county, if you register a vehicle, then you pay a significant part of your personal property tax goes towards the county schools and state college. So yeah, I do help pay for our schools. A large portion of sales tax goes towards schools also.

Many places have a 1% tax and it's used by the counties and cities. It's not a tax for schools. Part of the state sales tax is used for schools.

Don't like the tax laws, don't buy property here! Many states have really screwy tax laws. I've yet to find one that's 100% tax free. You want roads, schools and services? Then you have to pay for them.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:33 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Actually, residents do pay for the schools. In my county, if you register a vehicle, then you pay a significant part of your personal property tax goes towards the county schools and state college. So yeah, I do help pay for our schools. A large portion of sales tax goes towards schools also.

Many places have a 1% tax and it's used by the counties and cities. It's not a tax for schools. Part of the state sales tax is used for schools.

Don't like the tax laws, don't buy property here! Many states have really screwy tax laws. I've yet to find one that's 100% tax free. You want roads, schools and services? Then you have to pay for them.
Have anything (property [car, real estate], income, etc.) some entity (federal, state, county town, etc.) is going to tax you one way or another. Some more then others, some less then others. Much will depend on the entity as well as your personal situation.

Want to avoid paying tax?

Do not own anything nor receive any income.....LOL

Old 11-09-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Have anything (property [car, real estate], income, etc.) some entity (federal, state, county town, etc.) is going to tax you one way or another. Some more then others, some less then others. Much will depend on the entity as well as your personal situation.

Want to avoid paying tax?

Do not own anything nor receive any income.....LOL
Pretty much! And don't complain about it either.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:32 PM

548 posts, read 1,979,783 times
Quote:
Third, this is the unbelievable part. SC residents pay ZERO in their property taxes for School Operations. The School Operating Expenses are paid by non-residents and commercial property owners. So your neighbor, who has 2.3 kids, pays nothing in property taxes to support school operations.

Not completely true. South Carolina moved the property tax for school operations expenses from resident homeowners to sales tax. Residents do pay for operations, just not on home property. They pay it on cars, boats, and other such property as well as in sales tax. Non-residents have always paid at a higher assessed rate than residents (6% of value vs. 4%). The tax is not 6%, the assessed value is 6% then the tax is a millage rate on that 6%.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 AM

Janrey - Big Deal! a 1% additional Sales Tax on $20,000 of taxable items amounts to a whopping $200. The portion of your car tax allocated to School Opertions is miniscule. We pay $2,500 in School Operations Tax in our Property Taxes. Not complaining about the 6% vs 4% because we knew that when we bought in SC. PA 388 was passed after we bought and saddled all non-residents with 95%of the School Operations cost to educate the resident's kids. Don't even mention the bonding costs because we pay that also. Also, we do pay the additional 1% Sales Tax when we are there. Sick of paying for the education of SC kids in our residential property taxes while the residents pay ZERO. Can't sell because the word is out. SC discriminates against non-residents in it's tax structure.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Janrey - Big Deal! a 1% additional Sales Tax on $20,000 of taxable items amounts to a whopping $200. The portion of your car tax allocated to School Opertions is miniscule. We pay $2,500 in School Operations Tax in our Property Taxes. Not complaining about the 6% vs 4% because we knew that when we bought in SC. PA 388 was passed after we bought and saddled all non-residents with 95%of the School Operations cost to educate the resident's kids. Don't even mention the bonding costs because we pay that also. Also, we do pay the additional 1% Sales Tax when we are there. Sick of paying for the education of SC kids in our residential property taxes while the residents pay ZERO. Can't sell because the word is out. SC discriminates against non-residents in it's tax structure.
Many states put a number of taxes on non-residents. Don't like it? Don't buy a second home in those states or become a resident! I pay several hundred dollars a year in school taxes on my personal property. I know other folks who pay a ton more than me because they have boats, motorhomes, campers, fancier cars/trucks/suvs.

Everyone pays sales taxes whether or not you're a resident so what's your argument there? When I visit family in NC, I pay sales tax on everything I buy. Should I be exempt since I don't live there?

You want cheap taxes? Move to TN. There's no income tax, low property taxes, and high sales tax. No matter what the tax man is gonna get ya! So either rent or have no income and then you won't be paying taxes directly. Oh and don't use a car or ever buy anything.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 PM

ss20ts - The point is that I am paying for the educational operating expenses of the schools in my property taxes and you pay ZERO. If I had toys in SC I would pay taxes on them just as you do. You, however, do NOT pay any property taxes to support the operating expenses of the schools for SC children and you are a resident. Shame on you. No wonder SC has a deficient public education system. The residents don't support it.
Back to the original question of this thread - SC treats non-residents very differently on property taxes. It's safe to say that NR's pay at least 3 times what residents pay for like properties. As I said in a previous post, the law was changed AFTER we made the decision to buy in SC. If that law was in effect when we were doing our research we never would have chosen SC for a second home.
I also challenge you to come up with another state that lays the cost of education of the resident's children on non-residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina