U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 10,548 times

Advertisements

Yay! Another relocation Question!

(We know, this is Deja Vu!)

We are looking to relocate to the Southern North Carolina area or the Northern South Carolina area (We know, thats a mouthful)

We are looking for 20-40 rural acres with or without a home that we can start out in. A creek would be nice, but no swampland.

We are looking for a conservative area

We are a homeschooling family of six, with four boys, ages 8-15. Are there any homeschooling Co-Op areas there?

We do construction/excavation work, mostly private and residential homes, and the boys would like to start a public paintball field on a good location.

And, all of this at a reasonable cost.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 07:46 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,352,075 times
Since you don't mind rural, and you say you will be homeschooling...there will be a wide range of locations to choose from. But of course it will also depend on what price range you are thinking of (keep in mind the farther away from Charlotte, NC the cheaper it will become).

Just a few of the areas you may want to look at:
McConnells
York
Kershaw
Lancaster
Chester

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/...thCarolina.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlGrey View Post
Yay! Another relocation Question!

(We know, this is Deja Vu!)

We are looking to relocate to the Southern North Carolina area or the Northern South Carolina area (We know, thats a mouthful)

We are looking for 20-40 rural acres with or without a home that we can start out in. A creek would be nice, but no swampland.

We are looking for a conservative area

We are a homeschooling family of six, with four boys, ages 8-15. Are there any homeschooling Co-Op areas there?

We do construction/excavation work, mostly private and residential homes, and the boys would like to start a public paintball field on a good location.

And, all of this at a reasonable cost.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

Thank you!!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Dear LoveThe Carolinas

Thank you for your suggestions on possible locations We have been checking them all out.Also went to Homeschool site and found lots of good imfo there.What were the major factors in suggesting those particular areas?just curious ??thanks again.I think everyone else is tired of telling all the good places to go ,cant blame them ,things would get crowded there pretty quick. Does anyone know anything about Clarendonton county .I saw an ad there for 188 acres,but the realtor contract was up and they wouldnt tell who the owner is?

Old 03-21-2007, 08:17 PM

673 posts, read 2,028,077 times
Clarendon county is quite rural. I believe Manning is in that county. It's quite flat. They grow cotton, tobacco, soybeans, etc. It's very hot in the summer, quite a few mosquitoes to watch out for. Not many northern transplants, mostly southern country folk. Lots of churches, and small stores. You would be a long way from any major shopping or entertainment. Not too far from the lake though. I'm sure you could find some property, but it might be "hard to fit in" in such a rural area, in my opinion.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:27 PM

474 posts, read 2,025,315 times
Honestly, I believe you would have better luck over in eastern Tennessee to find that much rural acreage. Land near the NC/SC border is going to be quite expensive vs. eastern Tennessee. Any place within one hour of an airport is going to be pricey. You don't say, however, what you feel a reasonable cost is.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:37 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,352,075 times
Your very welcome EarlGrey

The reason I suggested those areas..was in your original post you stated Northern South Carolina. So in my mind...I thought of the areas around where I live (York County, SC). The only problem with that is...it is getting harder and harder to find that much land around these parts without paying an arm and a leg, and another arm and another leg. So since you also mentioned that schools did not need to enter into the equation either....I listed areas that I am aware of where you can still buy large chunks of land but you don't have to be a millionaire to do so (but heck if you do happen to be a millionaire...I'll gladly point you to some of those areas too...and then ask for a loan ).

Sorry I can't help you with the Clarendonton area (I am not familiar with the area...and it is well over 2 hours from where I am located).

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions on possible locations We have been checking them all out.Also went to Homeschool site and found lots of good imfo there.What were the major factors in suggesting those particular areas?just curious ??thanks again.I think everyone else is tired of telling all the good places to go ,cant blame them ,things would get crowded there pretty quick. Does anyone know anything about Clarendonton county .I saw an ad there for 188 acres,but the realtor contract was up and they wouldnt tell who the owner is?

Old 03-22-2007, 05:30 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,950 times
Quote:
Does anyone know anything about Clarendonton county .I saw an ad there for 188 acres,but the realtor contract was up and they wouldnt tell who the owner is?
Clarendon County is towards the middle of the state, where Manning, SC is. It's not bad - there's a large lake nearby. The area is going to have a lot of swamps, though. I'd look farther north and west, between Charlotte and Greenville or between Columbia and Greenville. It's hilly there, and I don't think you'd have as many snakes or gators.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:49 AM

28 posts, read 89,752 times
I can't tell you much about the western part of the state, but I know there is a rather large homeschooling community near the Triangle. Also near the Triangle, there are several paintball fields. There is Black River in Coats, Real McCoy in Princeton, Gotcha in Rolesville, and another field in Durham.

Did you sons want to start a field for them to play on, or to open to the public?

There is also a rather large field near Greensboro called Paintball Central.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:11 PM

We do thank you all for your generous input because we could be just as well moving to the moon as far as we know. Sorrry,LT Carolinas we are not millionaires in regards to $$$.My wife & I were both born Dumb and Poor but we do continue to try and improve on both of these inheritances as time goes on.Which is not easy on either.Both my wife and I have never been south of Virginia,seldom travel more than 50 miles from home and never been on vacation the 20 years we have been married.We have never bought a new car nor throttled away the money we earned.We have been blessed to have several thousand dollars equity in our property which we can use to purchase property in sc.This proposed move would be a MAJOR event in our lives and our 4 boys also, so we dont want to do something stupid.That is why we appreciate you alls input. SWamps ,no thanks I better reconsider clarenton.Though the gators would be good paintball target practice for the boys!!We are small town people major shopping consists of atrip to wal-mart,Lowes and FoodLIon all in one afternoon.Forgive us for being dumb but where is The triangle location you would be referring to?Our boys will be checking on those paint ball fields.Our boys want to start one .,open to the public.In coop they are doing amock business start up with names costs,advertising ect.right now it is pretty impressive I believe they could do the real thing.Of course then they would realize what real [work] is.WE also do construction ,backhoe ,track loader,electrical ,septic system,wellworks service.These I will have to probably continue in to earn a living down there.Are there a need for those services or do BIG companies snuff out the little guys?Speaking of which my lunch/dinner is over got to get back to work. thanks US Earls ,which by the way is not our real name but It is good tea.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:30 PM

745 posts, read 1,976,115 times
One thing about acreage is how much usable acreage do you want, and what do you consider reasonable? We bought 7 acres about 15 miles north of Greenville, SC, for $10K an acre. To us, that is pretty reasonable, considering it is all usable land (no cliffs or swamps). I would imagine in the upstate outside of Greenville, 20-40 acres might run $5K an acre, depending on how far out of town it was, how much of it is usable, and whether it has a view, creek, etc. I found land to be a lot cheaper south and east of Greenville towards Columbia (once you get away from the suburbs) but not as picturesque. Also, the lower you go in SC, the hotter it gets, which is why we stayed up near the mountains. I agree with the poster that suggested TN; it would be a lot cheaper, I think. We narrowed our search by looking at on-line real estate listings in the areas we were curious about. Although only marginally useful for actually buying a piece of land, you can start to get a feel for average prices, and what factors determine the price. Many parcels in our price range, for example, were simply too far from the city, which is where we will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina