Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 11:22 AM

173 posts, read 680,650 times

Advertisements

bennetsville is like the other places in the upper-mid part of south carolina, poor and run-down. You would be surprised at how many places around here don't have a Wal-Mart and such. Alot of people from those other smaller areas come all the way to Dillon just to shop, although I doubt they do all of their shopping out of town...

Bennettsville is not an area anyone would want to move to unless you're just not looking for anything special and the people who are already there that want to move have a hard time doing so because there aren't really any supporting opprotunities or encouragement in the area or in the nearby areas.

Most of the northern inland parts of upper south carolina (can't speak for the lower middle parts) suffer from this. It's just really depressing. Very old-days like.

As far as opening businesses goes in these type of areas, well, each business that comes in helps, but they don't usually stay long because the areas are unattractive to them and there aren't enough supporters to keep them running.

South Carolina is a poor state that resists change, so the smaller, poorer areas suffer greater from this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,442 times
I left Benn. at the age of 13,I returned at age 42,many times I've asked myself why? I've met my loving wife here and feel most "blessed for that" BUT!!! nothing else has changed except the "GOOD OLE BOYS " died and left their yonguns in charge "and around that mountain we go agin.Ignorance has said if you don't like it leave,but if one day all that feels the same as I do, were to go? Then ignorance would have to prey on each other,so ignorance open your blinded eyes and treat others the way they deserve to be treated,and lets rise out of this hole together.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:54 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,686 times
I believe a large part of the problem is that we are socialized in the USA to think of progress as a community-wide event. That's not the norm is South Carolina, which traditionally, and presently, functions more like the Dominican Republic than it does Iowa. Succintly put: Why would the Good Ole Boys (and Gals) want to change? It's working real well for them, and for anyone not in their circle....well the Ag term in this vicinity is "Suck hind teat."

Point is, SC has never functioned as a democratic society. Don't let 'em vote, run 'em off. Don't want no change. Everyting's just fine in our big houses, and in our lilly-white schools and churches.

Poster child for this is Mark Sanford's "Competitiveness Iniative". Nice rhetoric, but what it's meant in the real world is that it's now imposssible for a SC worker who is injured on the job to collect Workman's Comp. That's thanks to a Dept Of Labor "waiver" from the Bush Admin. FYI, the original request to DC also included a waiver request for suspending the Fed. Minimum Wage (a whopping $5.15 at the time), but even the Bushies realized that wouldn't play too well in the national press with a presidential election coming.

Bottom line is to affect change you'll have to break the power of the elites.
Better pack a lunch.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 8,736 times
I know if you were born and raised here, you know you"ll never reach the "tiny brained" good ole boy\girls. But when the time comes, as with us all death calls, they WILL meet MANY just as they are and live eternally in misery together. That's no consolation," GOD LOVES THEM TOO". As I agree with your plight," Prayer is what will change what words cannot.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 8,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.edhorse View Post
I know if you were born and raised here, you know you"ll never reach the "tiny brained" good ole boy\girls. But when the time comes, as with us all death calls, they WILL meet MANY just as they are and live eternally in misery together. That's no consolation," GOD LOVES THEM TOO". As I agree with your plight," Prayer is what will change what words cannot.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 PM

15 posts, read 56,391 times
Question Possibly moving to Bennettsville

My dh may transfer here with the Federal Prison. We are on the West coast presently, but originally from Savannah, GA, he has family in SC, but not near Bennettsville. How far is the prison from the town?

So where is the closest shopping? And what does the town have to offer? Basics at least? We will continue to homeschool, so schools aren't an issue for us. We want to purchase a fairly large home, land would be even nicer.

Small town living doesn't bother us, where we live now, is in a desert, in the middle of nowhere, & the closest Wal Mart is an hour away. Though we were hoping for something closer this time.

Any advice or tips about the town????

Old 07-15-2009, 03:36 PM

163 posts, read 664,418 times
It's been a few years since we lived in Bennettsville, but as far as I know, they still do not have a Wal Mart of their own. When I lived there, the closest ones were in the relatively nearby towns of Cheraw, Dillon, or Laurinburg, NC (about a half hour away each, maybe?). I don't know where you are on the West Coast, but you will probably find that real estate is much cheaper in the Bennettsville area than where you are from. You should be able to find land out in the country without much of a problem. There's not much new construction going on, but if you want a large house, there are older, stately homes in Bennettsville and other small towns in Marlboro County (like McColl).

I would definitely advise you to continue to homeschool. I'm afraid I can't say many positive things about the school system there. Bennettsville has several chain grocery stores, a Dollar General, several of the fast food chains, and some nice local restaurants -- Landmark, Sub Depot, Dairy Dream, a Greek/Italian place I can't remember the name of right now. Florence is probably the closest town that has a mall, movie theaters, more restaurants, bowling, etc. It's about 45 min./1 hour away. Fayetteville, NC is not too far, either.

The prison is about 5-10 min. outside of town.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:57 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,303,331 times
we live about 10 minutes from the prison in a small town between bennetsville and cheraw. we do all of our shopping in rockingham or cheraw. realestate is very cheap here, we moved from up north and couldn't beleave how little you have to spend to get a big home. we have been here since march and we like it here very much.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:53 PM

15 posts, read 56,391 times
Thumbs up it's official, we're moving to the Bennettsville area!

Thank you both for your replies, both so helpful! It is now official, we are moving there, so any & all info would be great! Anyone can pm if they would like. Thank you again.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:04 AM

96 posts, read 130,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspoetic1 View Post
Thank you both for your replies, both so helpful! It is now official, we are moving there, so any & all info would be great! Anyone can pm if they would like. Thank you again.
I can't believe anyone would move TO bennettsville. How horrible a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina