Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 11:00 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times

Advertisements

I'll be honest, you couldn't pay me enough to want to raise my kids in Myrtle Beach. It would be like raising your kids in Las Vegas, or Panama City, FL, or Cancun, Mexico. I don't know anyone even quasi-normal that is from MB.

And this opinion is completely independent of the cost of living, hurricanes or the quality of schools in the area. I'd move to Mount Pleasant, send my kids to the Wando schools, and go to the beach at Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island, or Folly Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2006, 06:01 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,191 times
We are not looking at the beach area. I know someone from NJ that moved to Carolina Forest and they love it. It is my understanding that the beach area has some problem areas. Is this correct?

Old 06-27-2006, 07:54 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
Yes, Myrtle Beach has its problems. Not just high crime, but a really weird population. There aren't very many 'normal families' in Myrtle Beach. It's mostly wealthy retirees and waiter/waitress types. In the summertime it gets completely insane there, most native South Carolinians couldn't/wouldn't handle it as a year-round permenant location.

I would think that Carolina Forest would be better than living at the beach. lol, It's sort of like a self-contained Yankee unit, complete with elementary, middle, and high school.

If you didn't like South Carolina, but were fairly wealthy and wanted a warm climate near the beach, I would think that's a perfect fit.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:09 PM

14 posts, read 32,105 times
I have to agree that Myrtle Beach is a mixed bag of tourists, wandering tourist employed people and overall party-types. I spent many summers at Myrtle Beach and remember the amazingly warm Atlantic waters, the moon rising over the Atlantic and lots of good food everywhere. But I also remember this comraderie of locals during the winter months, where locals took care of locals since there is so much tourism. Keep in mind there is still less touristy areas, although you can't drive more than a mile in any direction without running into a place that sells hermit crabs;-) Check out the socastee area and further south towards Litchfield, it's pricey but may be what your looking for in the way of less craziness/weirdness.

I will be visiting soon, and plan to report my findings after not visiting for over 10 years.

Good luck.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:31 PM

146 posts, read 506,680 times
Lots of good advice here, thanks.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:14 AM

17 posts, read 42,819 times
I lived in Columbia and found it absolutely wonderful. It is driving distance to Charleston or the beach (which is also incredible) where you can catch incredible crabs! And it has a "young" vibe. Lots of great pub like places to eat. Since there is a college there, I found work at the college right away, and there is a great "mix" of people from all walks of life, which I think would be great for raising kids and having them exposed to different life styles and ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina