Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 AM

93 posts, read 197,012 times

Advertisements

I posted a similar question on the Savannah forum and want to hear from the Carolina perspective, please.

We want to relocate back SE. While Jacksonville is quite a large town, I don't consider it too exciting as it lacks the cultural pulse I'd prefer. Bluffton seems to be a good location to enjoy both the beach and HH symphony, Savannah and still enjoy a relatively safe retirement. We don't golf or boat so want to be involved in other aspects of a community. We enjoy convivial friends, international perspectives and some nearby prospect of classical music and jazz entertainment, access to fresh seafood and hopefully able to grow organic veggies.

Previous posts on medical care in Bluffton aren't always answered. I take it some go over to HH doctors or to Savannah. What's the health care like in Bluffton? As the town is growing, has the need for good emergency services kept pace?

RE taxes seem better in SC for full-time residents than in FL or GA, but FL has no state income tax and GA supposedly exempts up to $90k retirement income (not that we'll have any after the last six months.) Can someone who has lived in either NE FL or Savannah area share their perspective, please? I know FL property and car insurance is high, gas is high, but any other thoughts on financial and other quality of life issues?

Are you pleased with your location or would you choose another now that you've lived in Bluffton? I read that some consider Bluffton second-rate to HH, but we'd prefer to live on the mainland and have access to beautiful HH. I know about the traffic already, so it would be helpful to not focus on that. We've visited your area, appreciate the current mantra is to rent first, but at our age we won't be able to move again so we need to be sure our new home will be a good fit. So, if given the option today, where would you move and why? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 23,221 times
Default Bluffton

I lived in Bluffton after being relocated for my husbands job from 2006-2008. We were alowed to visit before deciding to be transfered. We loved it and thought our children would as well. I grew up in San Diego, but were being relocated from Mississippi and while visiting and thinking about being relocated to such a beautiful place and coastal community of HHI. I was in love and "Convinced" this is where i wanted to live. We chose Bluffton. The reviews for the schools were great, crime rate was pretty much excellent. Well after a few months of living there i came to realized it was not as perfect as it seemed. The school, Bluffton element. was horrible. The principle did nothing but was to involved over getting her tax money.( i say this because the second day i took my children to school, she chased me down with an indian batton, and basically threatened to have me arrested if i did not change my tags over) (thought i had 30 days). After this i realized the sherriff there every day and YES he wrote tickets for people not having SC tags. Also please consider Bluffton and Beaufort are both military towns since Parris Island is extremely close. Anyway lived in a very prominant subdivision and was broken into 2x's. Crime and drug dealers, not to mention the tons of illegal aliens. I also worked at 2 Dr.'s Offices on Hilton Head. They were ok, but alot of people do travel to Beaufort memorial, Savannah or Charleston. I know you mentioned not to focus on traffic. There is one way on to the Island before you can spend 1.50 one way to cross a tiny bridge that takes less than 1 min to cross or take the even worse route. Bluffton has one main strip to everything and thats 278. you can get around the back way on 46 which is 2 lanes, but you have to end up on 278 to get to anything major. The crime at your local Kroger is outrageous just look up the many parking lot beatings and robberies that has happened. I witnessed a couple. Not that i am racial or a southern pride person, ( i did grow up in San Diego) but alot of the majority of people living in and around bluffton are Northerners. Mainly New York, but rude, impatientiance is there virtua. Taxes are higher, and the prices for groceries are a major difference between Bluffton's Publix, and the Lady's Island which is on the outskirts of Beaufort. Needless to say, after
a year, we relocated to Beaufort, in which i thought was a better cost of living. Rent in bluffton is outrageous, about 1100 for a decent apartment..Dont let them fool you...its not gated, anyone can get in, they leave open daily and they are Not Codo's. They are apartments. I worked in ladys island and lived near Lady's Island. For my recommendations, Lady's Island or Fripp Island is the better choice, alot of retirees live there and you have your own access to a much nicer beach, lots of deer you can walk up to, and feed on fripp. It is beautiful. I would just search for other options, other than to limit it to just Bluffton. Looks are deceiving. Read the online papers, you will see so many daily crimes. search the island packet, and beaufort gazette. You will see. I also just moved out of South Carolina, in december back home. But also take this into mind... Hilton Head became a town in the 60's... There is no true roots to that... Bluffton was nothing you can notice that by everything being extremely NEW. There is a couple of historical churches, but nothing else. It is MAN made and full of ILLEGAL Aliens TONS... all living in a 2 bedroom house with 10 other families. Sorry for the long response but bluffton has left a sour taste in mouth.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:17 PM

93 posts, read 197,012 times
Thanks for sharing your perspective. I'll check into the crime stats as we definitely hope to minimize the dangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina