U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,665 times
Default relocating from Ohio to South Carolina...need info on good towns.

Hello all. My husband, myself, and our 3 year old are planning on relocating from Ohio to South Carolina. I am sick of the hills and weather in Ohio. I would like to find a rural town about 30 minutes to an hour away from a big city so jobs are available. I am an administrative assistant so I can work anywhere.

We will need to be close to a prison, juvenile facility, or pre-release center because my husband is a corrections officer.

Also, we are looking to rent for awhile.

Does anyone know of any rural towns with good schools and close to work?

I was looking at Rock Hill or Fort Mill.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:54 PM

114 posts, read 251,056 times
The small town of Pickens in Pickens County and Walhalla in Oconee County both have good school systems, are right near the mountains (read: very pretty rural areas) and are within 30-45 minutes of Greenville, SC (which is a thriving larger city in South Carolina)

Old 03-19-2009, 02:01 PM

4,912 posts, read 8,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OconeeMountains View Post
The small town of Pickens in Pickens County and Walhalla in Oconee County both have good school systems, are right near the mountains (read: very pretty rural areas) and are within 30-45 minutes of Greenville, SC (which is a thriving larger city in South Carolina)
I thought they said they didn't like hills? The only non-hilly parts of SC would be in the lower state. Take a look at Camden - it is between Bishopville, where the state penitentiary is located and Columbia.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:37 PM

6,391 posts, read 8,706,833 times
There are two facilities in Ridgeville, SC, which is not far from Summerville/Charleston.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:12 PM

582 posts, read 1,774,280 times
Doesn't Edgefield,SC have a prison? You would be close to Augusta, GA & Aiken,SC. Edgefield is very rural in my opinion.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 AM

969 posts, read 1,849,488 times
Someone from Ohio who's not interested in Myrtle, Charleston or HHI? Wow!!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:13 AM

1,121 posts, read 2,205,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Someone from Ohio who's not interested in Myrtle, Charleston or HHI? Wow!!!!
what's even more shocking to me, is someone disliking lush green beautiful rolling hills (read never if rarely burned out light brown/dead ) ....not shocking is the winter weather they dislike.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM

267 posts, read 647,191 times
I would reccomend Summerville. A quick commute to 2 state prisons. The Housing is reasonable and it is a very nice town close to the benefits of Charleston.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,194 times
Default sc

I have read that the cost of living in Summerville is higher than normal for SC. Beautiful, beautiful town though. I agree with the recommendation of a suburb of Columbia such as Camden, which is very small however and not a lot of rentals there. There are suburbs closer to Columbia too. It might help for your husband to check out the state job online by googling "SC state jobs" and there are always jobs for the Dept of Corrections, etc. throughout the state. which could lead you to the job first before you choose the town. Rural towns in SC are a lot different from rural towns in Ohio. SC "rural" is RURAL!! That's why I'd suggest staying closer (15 min) to a bigger city like Columbia or Greenville. Best of luck!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:57 AM

843 posts, read 1,705,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlilley View Post
Rural towns in SC are a lot different from rural towns in Ohio. SC "rural" is RURAL!!
I'm guessing you've not been to a real rural town in Ohio. My wife, who grew up in the middle of nowhere in NC tobacco country, is actually scared to visit my hometown.

Ohio, the other Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina