Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,588 times

Advertisements

My best friend moved to Myrtle Beach (we're from NJ) and I hope to follow her and her husband. I've always dreamed of owning an old Victorian type house and that doesn't seem to exist close to Myrtle Beach. So I've extended my look to Conway, Florence, Marion, Darlington and Georgetown. They seem to have the type of real estate I'm looking for and my dollar will go further. I've been reading here about the crime and drugs and I'm sort of getting scared off. I'm single so I don't want to be afraid to be alone in my house.

Any input about where to look for my 100 year old house, impressions of crime, etc. would be appreciated. I'd like to stay within an hour to hour and a half of MB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 07:11 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,195 times
Sometimes you have to be realistic. You live in NJ, and you don't want to move somewhere that has crime and drugs.

I live in SC, and if I moved to NJ, I would be afraid of crime and drugs.

It's all in how you see it. I guess I watch too much Sopranos. LOL!

Actually, as far as Florence is concerned, it is on the I-95 corridor from Miami to NY known as cocaine alley. I would not really recommend it as a particularly safe place to live.

Old Victorian homes. Yes, you can find them here of course, but usually at a fairly high price, unless it's falling down old. Georgetown has some beautiful old homes. Old Victorian home are some of your priciest real estate.

I truly think you would be better off to rent for a year, and look around, so that you can get a feel for where you want to live.

This state is like every other state - there are nice safe places to live with good schools, and there are places you don't want to be in, with bad schools. Just like NJ.

But come along down, and find the right spot for you. It definitely is a very friendly state.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 7,588 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for your input Nausikaa,

Unfortunately, renting is a problem - I have a dog and 3 cats (I told you I was single! LOL)

Old 03-27-2007, 08:57 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilleysmom View Post
Thanks for your input Nausikaa,

Unfortunately, renting is a problem - I have a dog and 3 cats (I told you I was single! LOL)
oops, I see what you mean. good luck though.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:45 PM

177 posts, read 971,322 times
Check Conway first and Marion second.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:09 PM

12 posts, read 47,213 times
I live in West Florence. You won't find any Victorians in my neighborhood but you won't find any drug dealers either. Drug dealers drive on 95 through Florence to Miami and NY. They don't actually live here.

A hundred year old house will defintely put you in a mediocre neighborhood. In a decent neighborhood they will be high priced. But, if you want a nice house built within the past twenty years in a nice neigborhood with a big fenced yard for your dogs, you will have no trouble finding something here.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:16 PM

177 posts, read 971,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deee View Post
I live in West Florence. Drug dealers drive on 95 through Florence to Miami and NY. They don't actually live here.
Since when? Drug dealers are everywhere, especially in larger towns...more people, more drugs.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:22 PM

12 posts, read 47,213 times
You're right. We all know that every town has drug problems. The post about the drug corridor implied that Florence is a hot bed of drug activity. My point is that the drug dealers that drive up and down 95 don't all live in Florence.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:37 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
I would recommend Georgetown... there are some really nice homes being restored there. The historic district is really nice with Front St really becoming trendy along the Riverwalk. Several art shops popping up and good restaurants.

The downside of Georgetown is the Steel Mill is dark & ugly and the Paper Mill, although far from the center of town, will send a nasty sulfer smell across the area when the wind is blowing the right way.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:24 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
I would just stay in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina