Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:25 PM

17 posts, read 38,572 times

Advertisements

Why is it that Dillon has come across as such a horrible area? Our family is looking to relocate to SC soon. I am interviewing for jobs in SC including Darlington. When I did a realtor.com search Dillon came up as a driveable area. When I started looking on here there are a lot of negative comments about the area. We are looking for a nice area, out in the country is not a problem. We would like somewhere were there are some neighbors near by but not on top of each other. We don't want the "cookie cutter" houses of the north. We are not looking for a lot of night life or a big metro area. And please no comments about how we northern transplants are ruining your south, get to know me first. I understand when southerners get tired of northerners that complain about how "this isn't what it's like in ______ insert name of northern city here" or when they try to change things about your land, culture and ways. We are not those people.
THanks for any comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 01:38 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,291,833 times
Robinsonzoo, I am writing this at the Dillon County Library and own a home across the street from it. The library is very nice and has an updated computer system. I am impressed with it. Dillon is like many small southern towns with high unemployment. There is little to do. However, if you want a slower pace of life with streets that you and your family can bike ride, take nice walks, and wave to the neighbors, then Dillon might be a good fit. We drove into Bennettsville last night and it has a large downtown area. Unfortunately for both towns, there is not much in the way of shopping. Dillon does have a Super Walmart, a very nice frame shop, and Merle Norman. There is a CVS, Walgreens, etc. and lots of car parts places. Few restaurants; our choices are Kings for pizza, Kintyre House, or the Country Buffet. I cannot speak for the schools, but I have a friend who works at one of the banks. He says they are probably the same as in Delaware (where I live), just not as large. I am truly an outsider but if I can answer any questions, please let me know.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 AM

163 posts, read 663,541 times
I was born and raised in Dillon, so I'll try to hit some of the positives. Dillon is not a suburb of some larger metro area, so it is not filled with cookie-cutter homes. It has lots of older, brick ranch houses. There are many residential streets with light traffic that are great for walking and biking. Dillon is a reasonable drive from most of the attractions in the Carolinas -- 1.5 hours to Myrtle Beach, 2/2.5 hours to Charleston, 1.5/2 hours to Columbia, 3/4 to the mountains. Florence is about a half hour away, and has a mall and most of the major shopping and restaurant chains. If you're interested in building, you can probably find some acreage outside of town for a good price.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:07 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,291,833 times
One of the interesting things that we have noticed this week is that new homes are being built using brick. In Delaware, you pay extra for that and most homes just have siding. We have done a good bit of driving during the past few days, and are finding restaurants in out of the way places. Good prices and good food. You can also drive anywhere in Dillon in 5 minutes. What we also see are lots of people who apparently are not working. I think the unemployment rate is over 14 percent. Lots of homes for sale. My local banker says that the larger homes are not selling as well as smaller homes. You can find 3 bedroom ranches selling in the 80's.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM

17 posts, read 38,572 times
Default Thanks

I appreciate all the input. As I guessed it beauty is all in the eyes of the beholder! I'm sure Dillon is a beautiful town. Perhaps when I'm in SC this weekend I'll get a chance to see it. Thanks again

Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 PM

37,027 posts, read 19,006,922 times
Dillon is a neat town but doesn't have alot of development. It gets bypassed by the traffic to the beaches and hasn't grown like some other places.

That said, it all depends on what you are hunting. There are a lot of terrific people living in Dillon County and a goodly number of screwballs running loose without collars or tags or anything to identify them, just like anywhere else.

Here is the link to the local board. The Dillon County subboard is one of the most active, and I'm certain you can find someone to answer any questions you may have.

Safe trip down and back and good luck. I hope you find what you are looking for.

South Carolina's Web Board - Powered by the People of South Carolina

Old 04-07-2009, 02:35 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,198,365 times
I grew up in Dillon. Most of my family still lives there. It is a small, peaceful, quiet town. A few years ago, it gain the infamous distinction of having one of the highest crime rates per capita in the nation. However, I haven't heard anything about that recently. In fact, the new sheriff married one of my best friends in high school. He is a no nonsense kind of guy. I know he will do well.

The schools in Dillon are not good. With the exception of the new high school built in the 70's, the schools there are the same ones my mother attended in the 50's. NO new public schools have been built since then. In fact, they have had meager remodeling.

Dillon County School District No. 2 has been featured on several national news programs recently - such as 20/20 as being one of the poorest in the country. The private schools are flourishing as most of the people who have the means take their children out of public school. NONE of my 6 nieces or nephews living in Dillon have EVER attended public school there. Again I know the person who is assistant to the school superintendent. They have the desire to make things better - but there is NO money.

There is a beautiful new library as the old one burned down a few years ago and a new Community Center, but my mom says there is a fee to join and most people can't afford it.

The roads are in terrible shape and there are few jobs. My niece has to commute back and forth to Florence to work - she couldn't find a job in Dillon. There is a large elderly population as most younger people have to leave to find work.

I love this little town. I remember it from my childhood as a charming, picturesque place. Everyone knew everyone else and we were all secure and happy - all our dads had jobs. It seems progress has passed Dillon by. It is dying and that saddens me.

I hope some day Dillon will find the right leadership to attract the business, etc. it needs to revitalize itself. I have always felt I could return home when I retire.....but the last time I visited, I wondered if there would be anything left to retire to.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,633 times
Default Relocating to dillon

I have lived on Long Island, Virginia Beach, Delaware and now Dillon SC. I am a realtor by trade and have responded previously to the negative thread. My husband and I have been here for two years now. We have invested money in various real estate and own a local business and as a matter of fact are looking into revamping several downtown areas. As a family wanting to relocate here and have some neighbours in charming areas, this is really a wonderful small town. It is close to almost everything and yet also removed and still very much a "leave it to beaver" type of area. Families are very involved in children's activities and sports, church is very active , and , if you choose not to be involved in those, you can always enjoy the quiet outdoors at the state park, or the wellness center. Of course we have our issues, but so does every town and city. The good thing here, is that is changing and with educated people coming to town, things are certainly looking up. One needs to look at the big picture, spend a little time here and then make an educated decision based on your own personal feelings. I firmly believe, that with all the "northerners" wanting to come here, we have been fortunate to get the best. People wanting a simple and affordable lifestyle yet close to the beach, mountains, charleston and bordered on either side by Florence and Lumberton. Don't be influenced by other people's negativity. Come see for yourself. Birds of a feather will usually flock together, look on the bright side and good things will come. Good Luck!!!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:41 PM

173 posts, read 679,186 times
Well, just like when you move to any place, it all depends on what you want and what you are willing to accept, and of course it's different for each individual.

Dillon is not the most horrible place in the US by far and whoever said that is exaggerating, but there really are certain points to be known. However, for the sake of keeping this positive, I will just say that it's best for you to see for yourself. Out of all of the comments you've read about Dillon (Good or bad), look for the ones that are the most consistent. Just take time to do some research.

One thing I am going to say is PLEASE do make sure you have a job or your own business lined up before you move here.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:22 AM

177 posts, read 968,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by positivee View Post
The good thing here, is that is changing and with educated people coming to town, things are certainly looking up.
Well, here comes the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina