U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 8,894 times

Advertisements

We own a home in South Carolina. We are moving and have been unable to sell our home (go figure) and are considering renting it. We will be renting a home in the state that we move to. Since we will not be owning a home other than the one in South Carolina can we avoid changing our tax bracket from 4% to 6%? If so, how do you avoid letting the country treasurer's office from knowing that you are renting out that house? For example, we have our tax bill mailed to our home every year...do you just ask them to mail it to your rental home...wouldn't they start asking questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 7,956 times
I am going through the same thing. I am military and was relocated from SC to Louisiana. We tried to sell our house for over a year, but were unsuccessful. So, we decided to rent it to help with our mortgage payment. Well, our mortgage payment increased almost $400 a month because 1) We live out of state and 2) We are renting our house. If at all possible, keep your address the same or have it sent to a friends house.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:05 PM

148 posts, read 231,249 times
Default You need permit to rent out your house and

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon123 View Post
We own a home in South Carolina. We are moving and have been unable to sell our home (go figure) and are considering renting it. We will be renting a home in the state that we move to. Since we will not be owning a home other than the one in South Carolina can we avoid changing our tax bracket from 4% to 6%? If so, how do you avoid letting the country treasurer's office from knowing that you are renting out that house? For example, we have our tax bill mailed to our home every year...do you just ask them to mail it to your rental home...wouldn't they start asking questions?
You will have to pay the 6% because you do not live there. You want to chance going to jail for tax fraud Think about that. Just because you dont want to pay the taxes. Is it really worth the 2% more a year or do time in the slammer and then have a record. THINK LONG AND HARD
Just take your monthly rent save it to pay your taxes. Whats the big deal.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:25 PM

608 posts, read 714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofnorth View Post
You will have to pay the 6% because you do not live there. You want to chance going to jail for tax fraud Think about that. Just because you dont want to pay the taxes. Is it really worth the 2% more a year or do time in the slammer and then have a record. THINK LONG AND HARD
Just take your monthly rent save it to pay your taxes. Whats the big deal.
The big deal is called greed. But, I doubt if they would go to jail, the county or state would just assess some fine up to $100,000. We don't have room in the jails for these people. But they would have a felony on their records.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:18 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,080,919 times
Look at the bright side, at least you won't have to pay vehicle taxes once you move out of state!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 AM

70 posts, read 154,554 times
Your increase in property taxes will be higher than just the 6% vs. 4%. You will now be paying the Educational Operating expenses for the schools in your property taxes (primary homeowners are exempt from this cost in SC). My guess is that your new tax bill will be 3 times higher than when you were a resident.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,536 times
I went through the same thing and my taxes did triple. I now pay triple the taxes my neigbors do, but I use no more in services and my renters pay SC sales and income tax. It is not fair, but it is the law pay the higher rate - they will catch you and if they do - you may be facing UCMJ in addition to SC penalties

Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,294 times
There should be a provision about this perhaps in the soldiers and sailors civil relief act so that military members who move because of orders don't get penalized on their property taxes.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:52 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,415,591 times
Josh,
Don't buy.
Especially if you are military.
Owning a home isn't that great of an investment
anymore, if you need a mortgage.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 PM

8,569 posts, read 8,932,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon123 View Post
Just tell the Post Office to forward all your mail to the new address. Or you could get one of those private mail boxes at Mail Box etc or whatever and have them forward it to another SC address then have Mail Box etc forward it all to you for a fee of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina