U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2007, 05:41 PM

84 posts, read 241,838 times

Advertisements

But we might be missing a roof.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 PM

2,357 posts, read 374,102 times
I wouldn't let it stop me, if I were you. I would be most concerned about living in an area that I couldn't easily evacuate: a Carribean Island, the Outer Banks of NC, the Florida Keys, or Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. Not only do those places get hit far more often than South Carolina, but you have limited transportation getting out. Just my opinion.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:48 PM

yes, but Category 5's are rare. Between 1900 and 2000, there have only been 3 Atlantic hurricanes that made landfall as Category 5's: South Florida got hit in 1935 and 1992 (Andrew), and Mississippi was hit in 1969. It's important to understand the danger, but it's also important to understand that it's the worst-case scenario, and not a common occurance. Hurricane Hugo in 1989 was a 5, but was downgraded to a 4 before landfall. The eye went over McLellanville, north of Charleston.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:09 PM

7,133 posts, read 12,301,964 times
If you want more specific elevations for the area where you choose to buy a home, use topozone. The old town of Bluffton may be at 25 feet, but it is on a bluff, thus its name. Many of the developments north of there are three or four feet lower and on the edges of wetlands. If you want to know your real flood potential, get a copy of the county soil survey. It will tell you if your home is built on a former wetland.

My concern is the cost of homeowners insurance in the area. I imagine the SC government is not jumping to the rescue of coastal homeowners to the degree that Florida recently has. It's going to be ugly, I'm sure.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:39 PM

Anonymous, the more I read and discuss it with my husband, the more we are inclined to agree with you. This is something we really want to do . I'm glad I got to hear from you as it did help us tremendously in making an informed decison. I'm glad you'd mentioned the rarity of a cat 5. The points you have made are probably why our friends don't seem overly concerned about it. I'm sure they must think we're neurotic.

Ellie, thank you so much for recommending Topozone! Come to think of it, our friend's husband is a soil scientist--knows a lot about wetlands, so I'm certain he will be able to help us in that area too. I have to claim ignorance on the matter --didn't know we could get a copy of the county's soil survey!
We are definately going to utilize it . We're going out to visit again in October so we can do a bit more looking around and asking questions there too.
As far as the insurance costs, I agree it's not going to be pretty but we figure for what we're paying in property tax in NJ, it's a decent trade off to be in the warm weather. I have developed arthritis in my hands at age 54 and I'm not looking foward to more NJ winter.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:44 PM

9 posts, read 34,282 times
Debra: In all likelyhood I'd say that it would take an amazing hurricane to hit bluffton to make you come back to a pile of rubble for a house. But there really is no way to predict the damage done by a hurricane, and the only defense is not to be in an area that gets hit by them. Unfortunately, Bluffton is one of those areas, Fortunately, Bluffton is considerably well protected.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM

http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/

the USDA has a web soil survey, that should have the information you're looking for. it's rather difficult to use, but the information should be there somewhere.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:07 PM

Thanks Damargo. Points well taken.

Anonymous, thanks very much for the link.
Will search around on it tomorrow.

All of you have been extremely helpful.
Wonderful forum.
I

Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 AM

7,133 posts, read 12,301,964 times
Wow, the online soil survey is pretty cool if you can get to the final results, just as you said, Anon. I'm accustomed to using the books.

I couldn't find this information, in as complete a form as it is here, when I needed it last.

What I like is how they've ranked the soils red, yellow, green for the various purposes. Red is worst, green is best.

Anonymous, you're a great asset to us all. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,613 times
Wink How hurricanes & tornadoes in the Beufort area?

Do you think that Beaufort is any safer than Bluffton since it's a little further north when it comes to hurricanes and tornadoes? Would you estimate that homeowner's insurance would be over $200 per month in those areas? I'm going to look at real estate to retire in those two areas in the very near future. Of course a realtor will give one a low figure (the most optimistic view), and can't say as I'd blame them for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina