Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 11:02 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,919 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

We now have a fourth place to look-the Bluffton area. What can you tell me? We are about to be empty nesters as our youngest will be going to SCAD. Looking for imput about jobs in the area. We've been looking at Savannah/Pooler/Midway, Myrtle Beach area, Greenville, SC and Florida-not high on my list really after feedback. Our older two moved to FL in the last 2 years. My family are all native to NC/VA and I would be a lot closer to visit with them.

We have no mortgage when we sell our home. Looking to spend around 200K-maybe as high as 250K depending if we get the $350K we are asking for our place here in the Dutchess County of NY. Not looking for HOA's as they are too restrictive and we do have a travel trailer.

I dispatch school buses and still have my CDL B with P&S endorsements. I can do office work or drive again for school or I'd consider Fedex. Hubby works at Wal-Mart-it's a job since construction dried up here and he was a concrete dispatcher for 21 years. He'll be putting in for a transfer to a local store until he can find a job that is better suited to his skills. I do have a degree in hospitality and tourism management, so being near a tourist area might be something I can consider also. Office work is office work.

What can you tell me about the area? I drove through last summer and I did like it. I'll be dropping off the youngest to school here in a few weeks and will be spending two days poking around. We are outdoor folks, we prefer fishing, camping and travel. Not into city life.

Tell me as much as you can. Looking for information to about builders. Who is reputable in the area? We can build again if we'd have to. We've done it for this home. I'd rather turn the key though. We are hoping to be there by the holidays as the house will be listed by mid-Aug.

Thank you all very much any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 03:47 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I have friends that live in Sun City Hilton Head (Bluffton) and I visit the area several times a year. Aside from Hilton Head traffic on SC 278 it is a relatively quiet area with little crime. Many old timers complain about traffic in the area but to me, it is still sissy traffic.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:25 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Looking to spend around 200K-maybe as high as 250K.......Not looking for HOA's as they are too restrictive and we do have a travel trailer.
I have only picked up a few tidbits as I window-shopped homes in Sun City.

Bluffton has grown so fast, and everything is so new, that almost everything appears to be in developments with HOA's. You may have to go further out in the country to find a non-HOA property, maybe to a town like Ridgeland. A Realtor can certainly help.

The other item is that Bluffton addresses are in two counties: Bueaufort and Jasper. Jasper County has a significantly higher property tax rate than Beaufort County.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:34 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have only picked up a few tidbits as I window-shopped homes in Sun City.

Bluffton has grown so fast, and everything is so new, that almost everything appears to be in developments with HOA's. You may have to go further out in the country to find a non-HOA property, maybe to a town like Ridgeland. A Realtor can certainly help.

The other item is that Bluffton addresses are in two counties: Bueaufort and Jasper. Jasper County has a significantly higher property tax rate than Beaufort County.
Thank you! That points me in the right direction!

Old 07-26-2016, 07:43 PM

380 posts, read 1,756,974 times
We are currently building a home in Sun City Hilton Head in Bluffton. It is Hilton Head that first drew us to the area. We would vacation there from Ohio. Now we live in Charlotte and still vacation in HHI. Bluffton was just a place we passed through to get to our vacay spot. But we have developed a love for Bluffton. It is such a quaint town. Love the Old Town area with so many art and craft shops, outside dining and bars. The river is beautiful. I have heard there are festivals all year long. I can't wait to live there. And then, if you live in Sun City there are a ton of things to do.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:30 PM

82 posts, read 91,014 times
Every year, I always drive down to Hilton Head Island and stay with relatives in Sun City for a few weeks. Sun City, Bluffton, and the surrounding area is beautiful. The only thing I don't like about the area is that during the summer, it gets really, really hot.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:28 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,653 times
I know people complain about the summer heat, but any other negatives about Bluffton? Wife and I are exploring renting a second home down south and Bluffton is on the radar. Goal is to find a place to rent for a year (or two), then hopefully buy.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,090 times
Traffic and summer heat is brutal! Savannah Charleston, and the beach are a couple of Tylenols away.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:19 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,653 times
Interesting. I was in Savannah a few weeks ago and didn't find the traffic all that bad. Could be because I'm in the Boston area where the traffic is truly horrendous on a daily basis. How bad can the traffic in Bluffton really be?!

Old 08-21-2016, 10:02 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Interesting. I was in Savannah a few weeks ago and didn't find the traffic all that bad. Could be because I'm in the Boston area where the traffic is truly horrendous on a daily basis. How bad can the traffic in Bluffton really be?!
I agree. During tourist season the traffic on and off HI (Rte 278) can be heavy during rush hours but otherwise, it is sissy traffic in Bluffton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina