Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:17 AM

10 posts, read 19,197 times

Advertisements

To all other SC drivers, WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH ALL THE TAILGATING? Stay off mine and everyone else's ass. I do the speed limit or a few over (not more than 5 mph over) and people will just be all up my ass. I notice that a lot in this state. I look at cars in the other lane going by doing a good speed and right behind him is a dummy three feet off his bumper. I like to just give the brakes a very quick very light tap to let the person behind me a little sign saying "back off". If that doesn't work I hit the brake hard for a second the gun the gas just to scare them. That tends to work most of the time.

But can someone please tell me what driving school in SC is teaching people to tailgate? They must be full to capacity because I can't tell you how many times a day I see this. WHY PEOPLE, WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,279,297 times
i haven't seen to much of that but i do think they need a state inspection because nobodies directionals work. everytime someone makes a lane change or turns there's never a signal. are cars sold here with those as an option ?

Old 05-03-2009, 07:44 AM

843 posts, read 2,738,319 times
Those people riding your ass are the same morons that will then sit in the 'fast' lane, nose-to-nose with a car in the 'slow' lane, refusing to get over.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 AM

745 posts, read 2,224,680 times
You're in NASCAR country. They're not tailgating, they're drafting!

As for turn signals, NOBODY seems to use them ANYWHERE. Even old people, who grew up using them. I don't get it- how do you get out of the habit of doing something you've been doing for years?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:24 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,738,575 times
I have to agree about the bad driving. I've been all over the country and it seems the worse here for some reason. People always drive slow in the passing lane, don't use their turn signals and either drive really slow or really fast. My mother in law just moved here and I was telling her about it, she didn't believe me. She's here three weeks now and said she's afraid to drive it's so bad. I guess with low taxes comes not many cops on the road which then leads to bad drivers.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,712,257 times
They must be from Virginia. Since moving here, I've noticed almost every driver on the road tailgates...they are HORRIBLE! I've even seen them tailgate police cars without being pulled over.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:15 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,970,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I have to agree about the bad driving. I've been all over the country and it seems the worse here for some reason. People always drive slow in the passing lane, don't use their turn signals and either drive really slow or really fast. My mother in law just moved here and I was telling her about it, she didn't believe me. She's here three weeks now and said she's afraid to drive it's so bad. I guess with low taxes comes not many cops on the road which then leads to bad drivers.

Besides the poor community services, I'd also credit the fact that you're seeing drving styles from all over the country being the "norm" for SC.

There is no probability of what any individual driver will do in a given situation, as that driver may have learned/been accustomed to the backroads of Tennessee, the turnpikes of NJ, the low traffic volume of the Dakotas, or the self-taught style (sans any license) that is so common in SC.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:47 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,966,463 times
i don't know, after spending many years driving the "beltline" in Madison Wi; where ( posted limit is 55 ) you'd be tailgated even going 70, and if you happen to leave a little space between you and the car in front for safety reasons ( esp in winter ) some moron would glide right in there. Guess my point, it's bad everywhere. The only thing we've noticed worse here then back home is the # of cars running reds. And actually accelerating thru ( the mustang with the modded exhaust today must not have thought anyone would hear him gun it thru the intersection! ).

Now for us, tying to learn/get used to the middle turn lanes used down here has been fun. I think i'd be better off when driving along Harbison to just close my eyes and say a prayer when i try to turn into a lot ( jk of course )

Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 AM

152 posts, read 463,764 times
I'm from Nj, we get a rap for the worse drivers but a few years back we were in Washington NC,
and traveling the back roads was a nightmare..You could not enjoy the ride ...Right on your butt,
no matter your speed!..We blamed it on NY transplants!...We blame everything on them...I was
hopeing SC would be different...I don't care how fast you drive, but your an idiot if you tailgate...
Your going to kill sombody....

Old 05-04-2009, 08:03 AM

152 posts, read 463,764 times
one more thing..You have no shoulders on the roads, so how can you let the morons pass??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina