U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-17-2013, 07:16 PM
NCN

14,087 posts, read 12,457,266 times

Advertisements

My first thought was Charlotte, N. C. and Savannah, Georgia. Maybe a better question would be where is a good place to move to South Carolina. The answer would be almost anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 07:47 PM

11,113 posts, read 6,974,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
I agree with you to a point. The folks I deal with in NYC are not familiar with Charleston. Not everyone in NYC is heavily Into the arts such that the would ever hear of Sploeto. Sure, some may but it is a very small group. But, if Charleston is so widely know as suggested by Scotty, you would expect more folks outside of niche areas to know that it does exist. Folks get out of shape and attack me because I don't believe it is widely known and shared a simple personal example. I have friends in Charlotte who are not familiar with Charleston, same for Atlanta. And since Scotty labeled someone else as ignorant because they did not agree with him, I simply pointed out that the folks I talk to are in no way ignorant but very high end and have not heard of Charleston. Of course. Scotty likes to tell others how to think so I am sure he can clarify why he thinks Charleston is so widely known.
I can understand people being confused by WHICH Charleston you might be talking about, whether the SC city or WV capital. Perfectly understandable. But to not have even HEARD of it? And I can understand people not being familiar with it. I live in metro Atlanta and work in north Georgia (have worked in two towns in north Georgia), and I've mentioned Charleston several times to different people, usually in relation to describing the geographical location of my SC hometown. And I have lived in Charlotte, discussed the city several times with countless people, especially since it's a very popular getaway location for Charlotteans. As an actual resident of both areas, never have I once ran across one person who didn't know a city by the name of Charleston in SC existed. I would truly consider a person ignorant in the denotative sense of the term if they didn't know there was a Charleston with a couple of exceptions (immigrants, perhaps West Coasters, etc.). And there DEFINITELY would be no excuse for a well-heeled, American-born New Yorker--that I assume would be well-traveled--to never have heard of Charleston. I'm sorry, but that would be completely astounding to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My first thought was Charlotte, N. C. and Savannah, Georgia. Maybe a better question would be where is a good place to move to South Carolina. The answer would be almost anywhere.
Why would your first thought be Charlotte and Savannah when the topic is "Best big cities in SC"? Neither of those cities are in SC.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:03 PM

5,317 posts, read 2,133,418 times
I can understand people being confused by WHICH Charleston you might be talking about, whether the SC city or WV capital. Perfectly understandable. But to not have even HEARD of it? And I can understand people not being familiar with it. I live in metro Atlanta and work in north Georgia (have worked in two towns in north Georgia), and I've mentioned Charleston several times to different people, usually in relation to describing the geographical location of my SC hometown. And I have lived in Charlotte, discussed the city several times with countless people, especially since it's a very popular getaway location for Charlotteans. As an actual resident of both areas, never have I once ran across one person who didn't know a city by the name of Charleston in SC existed. I would truly consider a person ignorant in the denotative sense of the term if they didn't know there was a Charleston with a couple of exceptions (immigrants, perhaps West Coasters, etc.). And there DEFINITELY would be no excuse for a well-heeled, American-born New Yorker--that I assume would be well-traveled--to never have heard of Charleston. I'm sorry, but that would be completely astounding to me.

Exactly. I have had the same experience with most people knowing about Charleston. Hell, you can read it on the threads in different areas of this forum that people know of Charleston. I am sure the less educated people that never get out of there own state might not understand.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:36 PM

747 posts, read 519,572 times
Quote:
Are you bored in Richmond and trolling for fights? Anything to add to the discussion? Since Scotty was sharing his infinite wisdom about the national attention towards Charleston in THIS thread, that is where I responded. Does that make sense? Since you are not a moderator, either contribute or move on.
Yeah, I'm bored in Richmond so I thought I would just drop out of no where and join in this little thread.

I'm not sure which city you're cheerleading for, but you're making youself look foolish. You my friend..are the troll. Charleston, my freind, is my hometown, and damn proud of it. Take your meds, lay down and relax.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 PM

7,329 posts, read 5,893,841 times
All I know is that in 1986 when I was last in Manhattan and stepped into a store I thought I might be interested in working in, the owner asked me where I was from, and when I said South Carolina he asked what part, and when I said Columbia he said he had been here and that it was a nice place. A little anecdotal story never hurts.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:30 PM

233 posts, read 120,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Yeah, I'm bored in Richmond so I thought I would just drop out of no where and join in this little thread.

I'm not sure which city you're cheerleading for, but you're making youself look foolish. You my friend..are the troll. Charleston, my freind, is my hometown, and damn proud of it. Take your meds, lay down and relax.
Zuman, the only folks who look foolish are the Charleston folks who think that it is a national city which is known at the drop of a hat. As I have said, I have spoken with many folks in other parts of the country about cities in my state and Charleston is in no way widely known. Business associates I deal with in Charlotte who moved there from other parts of the country did not know it existed before visiting after the move. They like the city as I do but, it is not nationally known. Heck, even th AP still designates it with SC so people know where it is located.

Personally, I don't care where you are from, maybe it is telling that you are from Charleston and no longer live there, it is hard to find a decent job outside of waiting tables. But, besides that, you have not offered anything other than crap which is what I expect from folks who know nothing more than what they want to believe. now, if you are finished trolling, it is a difference of opinion, live with it.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post

Exactly. I have had the same experience with most people knowing about Charleston. Hell, you can read it on the threads in different areas of this forum that people know of Charleston. I am sure the less educated people that never get out of there own state might not understand.
Less educated folks, common in Charleston, think that everyone in the country knows about Charleston. but, based on your comments here and in the political forum, you seem to know everything, another trait of less educated folks who never leave home.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Why would your first thought be Charlotte and Savannah when the topic is "Best big cities in SC"? Neither of those cities are in SC.
Nice exceptions.........of course if Charleston were so widely known, folks on the west coast would know of it as well, right? Or is it ignorant to say Charleston is a well known national city, except on the west coast part of Texas, Montana, The upper mid west etc.....fact is that Charleston cheerleaders think it is the center of the universe and anyone who is anyone would certainly know about it. I personally know folks who have more than enough cash to live anywhere and know nothing about Charleston. That is not ignorant, these folks just have to been interstd enough in visiting SC to care.

The ignorance is folks in Charleston thinking that it is so well known across the country.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 PM

11,113 posts, read 6,974,856 times
Quote:
Nice exceptions.........of course if Charleston were so widely known, folks on the west coast would know of it as well, right? Or is it ignorant to say Charleston is a well known national city, except on the west coast part of Texas, Montana, The upper mid west etc.
I said perhaps the West Coast because I've never lived out there so don't know how familiar the general populace is with the smaller, more niched leisure tourist destinations along the Eastern seaboard. And you should see the reasoning behind my mention of immigrants as exceptions. Several months ago in the General U.S. forum, I came across a dude who had only recently heard of Charlotte via the forum. I was flabbergasted, but he was an immigrant from the West Coast. With that information, it made sense (and there were a few other cities he had only recently learned about).

Quote:
....fact is that Charleston cheerleaders think it is the center of the universe and anyone who is anyone would certainly know about it. I personally know folks who have more than enough cash to live anywhere and know nothing about Charleston. That is not ignorant, these folks just have to been interstd enough in visiting SC to care.
I know plenty of folks who have never been to Charleston as well, but these folks DO know that a city by the name of Charleston exists, at least in one of the Carolinas. If they don't know that, with the few exceptions I mentioned (and there may be one or two more, I don't know), then that's ignorance on their part.

Quote:
The ignorance is folks in Charleston thinking that it is so well known across the country.
I'm not in Charleston, from Charleston, nor do I think the universe centers on Charleston, but I do think it's generally well-known across the country. It's very possible to find a happy medium between two extremes, you know.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 PM

5,317 posts, read 2,133,418 times
Quote:
Less educated folks, common in Charleston, think that everyone in the country knows about Charleston. but, based on your comments here and in the political forum, you seem to know everything, another trait of less educated folks who never leave home.

The more you run your mouth the more the ignorance flows forward. Keep it up you are making a fool of yourself. You know what you do when you ass u me? Please tell me about my education level and my travel experiences if you know so much. Waiting to hear your learned reply.

Brain Gainer metros Charleston Metro listed as #1 brain gainer for highest growth in adults with college degrees

Wall Street Journal September

Last edited by Scotty011; 05-17-2013 at 10:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina