Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 05:29 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times

Advertisements

Next Sunday, May 22nd, The State newspaper will have an article on Columbia's Main Street, including the uniqueness that drew Mast General Store there and information on why the "New Main Street" is hot, maybe not Famously Hot yet, but hot. Columbia is already as good as any "big" city in South Carolina, but since so many in S.C. equate a relatively quiet Main Street at night to failure, it bears mentioning that what's in store for said street is bound to soon quiet the negativos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 09:02 AM

74 posts, read 224,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
Go in their forum and say things about Greenville that you've said about Columbia and see how much "cooler" they are, LOL.
That's the funny part. All I said was that Columbia, IMO, is boring and that my vote for best SC city would be Charleston. Suddenly, my offhanded remark became the entire focus of this thread. That's just laughable, and it shows the kind of petty, provincial attitude that exists here. The OP should take note.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:49 AM

The OP should come see for the OP's self, spending time in each city, looking at each downtown, assuming downtowns are important to him or her, and beyond the immediate central business districts to size up the entire package of each metro. The OP should also attend the ballet, orchestra, staged theater and museums in each, assuming they are interested in such amenities, and see which city is stronger all around in the arts, excluding periods when special arts events are going on. The OP should spend time talking to the average joe on the street in each area to see which area they think has the most charming speech pattern. The OP should check out local news rags in each area to see what kind of big name acts play in the largest venues, assuming such things are important to the OP. There are so many things involved in picking a city to suit one's tastes that this argument is silly.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:23 AM

257 posts, read 327,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopDude View Post
That's the funny part. All I said was that Columbia, IMO, is boring and that my vote for best SC city would be Charleston. Suddenly, my offhanded remark became the entire focus of this thread. That's just laughable, and it shows the kind of petty, provincial attitude that exists here. The OP should take note.
And as I also stated, nothing's really been said here by people in the Columbia area that people of other cities wouldn't be saying if their city was being criticized. I'm more than certain I could go into another random city's forum on this message board and find people saying the same thing you're saying and see residents of the area speak up for the place in which they live. I'd actually be a little concerned if people didn't defend their city against such criticism.

And I'm pretty sure the OP probably isn't around or has already made a move since the first post in this thread is almost five years old.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:06 AM

74 posts, read 224,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
And I'm pretty sure the OP probably isn't around or has already made a move since the first post in this thread is almost five years old.
Good point. When I first clicked on this thread I thought it was a recent one. Oh well, it's been fun anyway.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:08 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
After living in Columbia for the last 10 years I would have to say Greenville has more. More of what I want anyhow. I love being close to Ashville & what it has to offer. The people in Greenville seem healthier then those any where that I have been in South Carolina. I LOVE the fact that Greenville is VERY pet friendly too. As someone else pointed out Greenville seems to be have a cleaner feeling over all then the places. For some reason or another Charleston & Greenvile tend to get more compaines setting up there then Columbia. Why this is I am not sure. I doubt that anyone else really knows either, at some point it is speculation. I've only been to Charleston twice & the beaches were beautiful, Myrtle Beach doesn't even compare. I think the best think Columbia has going for it is that it is three hours from the beach. At the same time your three hours from the mountains. In the end I think the person who started this thread should take a good look around for themselves. I have moved around more then most people ever will I have seen this country three times over. I'm just stating that to show I've had done lots of traveling to know what I'm talking about. In the end it really comes down to personal preferences & nothing more. Good luck to the OP!

Damn it just saw that this post was 5 years old!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:28 PM

Even after five years, and 22 years before that, Columbia is home. What more can or should I say? This comparison crap is for people still searching.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:16 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopDude View Post
GS, finally a voice of reason!! You've just demonstrated what I've always believed; people in the upstate are much cooler ! Very well stated. And you're right, Greenville has a very good vibe for a small city and one of the nicest downtowns in the state.
Thanks!

I did find an intangible vibe in Greenville that drew me there. It has drawn many others there as well. I think some cities can only see the tangibles. It is those intangibles that make a city a special place. Seems from reading your post that you are keenly aware of that fact.

Of the 3 big cities in SC this thread is talking about, I spent time in all three to decide which was best as I was moving a company operation to SC. Charleston is great, the only drawbacks for me personally with Charleston were the mosquito population and the summer humidty. Beyond that, I find Charleston a great place. Columbia was not a fit in any way for me. Greenville, I fell in love....and it was the intangible qualities that drew me there. PM me if you would like more detail.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:15 PM

gsupstate: "Columbia was not fit in any way for me." Sounds like a start.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:09 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
gsupstate: "Columbia was not fit in any way for me." Sounds like a start.
Columbia clearly wasn't what he was looking for. As the state's largest city, others obviously feel differently. What's the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina