Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:55 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Those are tame. Wait until you see them in their true form.
Whar scares me is when you have civic leaders that have push in the community to pass bills and court lobbyists when they have that kind of bitter, entitled attitude. Equal rights have come a long way, but all it takes is enough people like this to create a hostile environment towards equality. Just like the newest appointee to the Supreme Court being labeled as a racist decision? How is appointing a Hispanic woman prejudiced? Looks like a bunch of whiney Country Club members upset that they have to share their golf course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 AM

163 posts, read 664,492 times
To address the OP's question, I don't think these comments should scare anyone away from living in SC. I agree with what some earlier posters said: no matter where you live, there will be some people who are racists. And in SC, we have had to deal with the racial diversity that exists here, as opposed to some parts of the country, where racial minorities are novelties. I'm 33, and I believe that people in my generation and others that have grown up in our integrated society do not have many of the assumptions and inherent prejudices that came with the old guard. Again, I'm not naive enough to think that prejudice and racism have been eradicated in SC. As long as there are physical and other differences among people, there will be some who harbor hate or contempt for those who are different from themselves. But this is no more true for SC than any other place.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:55 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I would like to see the Confederate flag issue put to a vote in the November election. I bet that a majority of South Carolinians would vote to have it removed from the state house grounds.
You would be wrong.

The reason it won't be put to a vote is BECAUSE the overwhelming majority of South Carolinians do not want it removed from flying at the CONFEDERATE WAR MEMORIAL located on the Statehouse grounds.

I wish people would at least try to educate themselves on where the flag is flown.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:57 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
As to racist attitudes,be prepared to be ignored by the black population here in SC,at least here in the lowcountry.

Some of the most bigoted people around are black,of course in today's PC world we should never mention that.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:34 PM

551 posts, read 855,746 times
The sure are getting nasty about SC in the Political Forum...geesh

S.C. GOP Trying To Outdo Tennessee As "Most Racist"

Old 06-19-2009, 01:06 PM

709 posts, read 1,767,209 times
Quote:
I've been considering relocating my family to coastal SC but more headlines like these are making me think twice...

Mike Green (@gopgreenhouse) on Twitter: "Just heard Obama is going to impose a 40 percent tax on aspirin because it's white and it works." GOP Green House (gopgreenhouse) on Twitter
Indigo Journal:: More SC Republican Racism (http://digg.com/d1tuPO - broken link)

"Rusty DePass, South Carolina GOP Activist, Says Escaped Gorilla Was Ancestor Of Michelle Obama"
Rusty DePass, South Carolina GOP Activist, Says Escaped Gorilla Was Ancestor Of Michelle Obama (VIDEO)

These are civic leaders making these comments. Scary. Is this common in SC or isolated incidents? Seems every week SC is in the headlines for these kinds of remarks.

So how exactly does a South Carolina politician cracking jokes about aspirin and making fun of Michelle Obama's appearance, put the life of your family in danger if you move there ?

This Black university professor from North Carolina said that White people should be exterminated. So does that mean that North Carolina is a dangerous place for a White family to raise their kids ?

YouTube - exterminate white people

What the professor said is alot worst than your example because he is in favor of murdering an entire race of people.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Still doesn't make it ok. There are bigots on both ends, but that doesn't justify the existence of either, and to do so only means you are looking for an excuse to minimize the effects of racism.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:56 PM

709 posts, read 1,767,209 times
Quote:
Still doesn't make it ok. There are bigots on both ends, but that doesn't justify the existence of either, and to do so only means you are looking for an excuse to minimize the effects of racism.
Some racism is worst than others. Calling for the genocide of an entire race is far worst than making fun of somebody's appearance. And I am sure most people would agree with me on that.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:40 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
As to racist attitudes,be prepared to be ignored by the black population here in SC,at least here in the lowcountry.

Some of the most bigoted people around are black,of course in today's PC world we should never mention that.
I can see why you'd think so, especially feeling the way you do about the flag.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Some racism is worst than others. Calling for the genocide of an entire race is far worst than making fun of somebody's appearance. And I am sure most people would agree with me on that.
Racism is a concept and belief system that is based around inequity of power, representation, and basic human rights. It is up to the individual bigot/racist to see how far they will take it. Making fun of someone, or making a sweeping statement that is meant to degrade a race of people like "Obama is taxing Aspirin because it is white, and it works" might not have the same implications as killing people off, but it is all ignorant rhetoric that is unacceptable on both sides. You can't justify the actions of one simply by comparing it to the actions of another, and FYI I am certain you can go on a video sharing site like the one that is posted and find many, many more videos of whites calling for oblideration of black race, Muslims calling for oblideration of Jews, etc., but you chose a black man talking about obliderating the white race because you knew it would minimize the racist comments made by SC white civic leaders. This is why I say that greater racist acts of one race does not justify lesser racist acts of another. If that were the case white people would be well ahead in that game, with the whole slavery, segregation, KKK, neo-nazi, manifest destiny, stealing land from Indians, apartheid, third reich holocaust thing. But accepting the truth is not an easy thing to do, so we cry when a Hispanic woman is appointed to Supreme Court and make racially charged jokes about the president, all with the hopes and dreams that one day we will control everything once more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina