Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:26 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter77 View Post
Why should he be made to resign? If i remember correctly Clinton lied under oath and still got to be President after that. Why should a man who made a bad mistake and was man enough to stand up and tell the world in a press conference be MADE to resign.
His being made to resign is not about having an affair. People have affairs all the time. He should be made to resign because he left his job and the state of SC un-attended and then lied and had his staff lie about his whereabouts!! His personal life has nothing to do with his responsibility to the state. Besides that he did not stand up and tell the world in a press conference until he was CAUGHT! The only reason he got caught is because he deserted his job, lied and as a public official people begin to get suspicious and ask questions. Otherwise his private life and affairs would have continued without this scandal.

Therefore he should step down because he abandoned his job and responsibilty, the affair is not for the public to deal with that is between him and his wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga2email View Post
I'm willing to bet that all politicians misuse state property and pay for stuff with tax payer money. They just don't get caught.
This is true, but it doesn't absolve of their wrongdoing the ones who get caught.

Quote:
Another thing, why is SC suddenly a "big state" with a "big budget". Is that to emphasis how irresponsible Sanford was? I don't recall much talk about SC being a "big state" with a "big budget" before all the Sanford fallout. I guess we are a big state like Texas or California now.
I fail to see why this is an issue with you, but ... whatever. Just because I haven't referred to myself as a white woman recently doesn't mean I'm not a white woman. It simply hasn't been relevant.

Quote:
The ladder part of your post might be true, I prefer to see the cup half full.
I assume you mean "latter." (SC public education at work?) You can interpret this situation any way you want, but the facts of the matter stand quite nicely on their own. Regardless of what anyone else on the planet may have done, Sanford did WRONG. He got caught. He needs to accept the consequences. And South Carolinians need to realize that they'll be a laughingstock for a long time if they don't behave accordingly. What a terrible statement about the state if everyone just says, "Oh well. Everybody else has done it. I'm a good Christian. Let's just let him keep going because the Lt. Gov is a douche."

Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
In the best interest of the citizens of South Carolina, Mark Sanford should resign his position as Governor. Then again, he has not given much thought to our best interest during his term in the office, so I am not holding my breath.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:39 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
I'm from SC and I, very reluctantly, say Sanford should serve out his term and not run for re-election. It would be in the best interest of our State, which is an extremely sad thing to admit, for him to stay in office. The behind the scenes story here from some media people indicate that other Repubs with political aspirations finally had something on Sanford. They orchestrated the leaking of information and this media frenzy. Sanford is guilty. No doubt. If we had a good runner-up to finish the term, his resignation should be demanded. NOt for the affair but for leaving his position and our state interests without leadership and representation. Perhaps some good things can come out of this debacle for our state. Perhaps finally this corrupt, good-ole boy network of politicing will be irrepairably broken. Perhaps this will be the impetus to get folks here to begin to think differently about what we need in our leadership. I'm a fiscal ultra-conservative and a social moderate/liberal....which is not the norm for the voting block in our state. It's time that we find a good business-minded independent to lead our state out of this stagnation...... 3rd highest unemployment rate in the nation, extremely high teen pregnancy and domestic violence rates, near the bottom of all educational rankings.....Folks, we have had serious problems down here for decades. The same type of folks marching through that office will NOT bring us the change we need. And finally, concerning his Christian faith...... ALL Christians are hypocrits. Yep. I'm a Christian and we all sin. Can't get around that. Christians are humans and we do things we know are wrong. Sometimes, very wrong. Don't let that throw you. The problem with Sanford is that he judged others by Christian standards that he himself failed to meet. God will forgive him. It looks like his wife might forgive him. This is a lesson in humility that we as Christians must be verrrryyyyyy sensitive to. There is a reason we are taught: Judge not, lest you too shall be judged. As soon as you start pointing a finger at someone else and their sin, you set yourself up to be tested in that same way. God bless his family and God bless and help our state to navigate through this to better days. Lord knows we have a great many suffering people down here.
Amen!! Someone who is willing to admit that there has been problems going on in South Carolina for decades and that the corrupt 'good ole boy' network down here needs to be stopped. Others on here like to deliberately twist the facts and ignore the real reality here. They act like the only reason there is so many problems with progress here is because of the bad economy when they know the truth is that progress has been slow here way before the economy took a nose dive.

Good for you, you are a stand up person!

Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 AM

134 posts, read 262,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
This is true, but it doesn't absolve of their wrongdoing the ones who get caught.

I fail to see why this is an issue with you, but ... whatever. Just because I haven't referred to myself as a white woman recently doesn't mean I'm not a white woman. It simply hasn't been relevant.

I assume you mean "latter." (SC public education at work?) You can interpret this situation any way you want, but the facts of the matter stand quite nicely on their own. Regardless of what anyone else on the planet may have done, Sanford did WRONG. He got caught. He needs to accept the consequences. And South Carolinians need to realize that they'll be a laughingstock for a long time if they don't behave accordingly. What a terrible statement about the state if everyone just says, "Oh well. Everybody else has done it. I'm a good Christian. Let's just let him keep going because the Lt. Gov is a douche."
Im'a from floorida's edumacation sistem

u saund like yer relly ticketed of.
relax... breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 AM

199 posts, read 493,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
His being made to resign is not about having an affair. People have affairs all the time. He should be made to resign because he left his job and the state of SC un-attended and then lied and had his staff lie about his whereabouts!! His personal life has nothing to do with his responsibility to the state. Besides that he did not stand up and tell the world in a press conference until he was CAUGHT! The only reason he got caught is because he deserted his job, lied and as a public official people begin to get suspicious and ask questions. Otherwise his private life and affairs would have continued without this scandal.

Therefore he should step down because he abandoned his job and responsibilty, the affair is not for the public to deal with that is between him and his wife.
I'm not going to try and stand up for his actions, but something has to be said here about his "abandonment" of his job.

When the Gov leaves the state, he does not formally hand all power over to the Lt. Gov. It is a given that if there is an emergency and the Gov couldn't be reached right away, the Lt. Gov would be in charge. That whole part of the story was made up by the Lt. Gov and his cronies to bring out the fact that the Gov was having an affair.

Everyone on the inside knew EXACTLY where the Gov was. How do you think the Miami Herald had photos of the apartment he was at in this mornings edition? It was a big inside secret. The Gov just ticked off enough people and they outed him on his outing. The whole "abandonment" story with all the fake outrage by the state legislature was just made up to get to the point of the affair. But, the sheeple of the country followed the propoganda and followed along. You must look at the facts! You're being played if you honestly think that they didn't know where he was.

As for the Lt. Gov wondering who is in charge when the Gov. leaves the state, it just proves that he has the leadership ability of a fly. A wise man I know once said "If you have to tell people that you are in charge, then you are clearly not in charge."

Did he cheat - yes, is he still cheating - maybe
Did his staff lie - yes (did anyone notice his staff yesterday? many were giggling in the background and then 4 guys no older than 30 pulled him away.)
But the abandonment charge was a political hack job that achieved what they wanted. But it was a bogus claim all the same. They knew where he was and how to get in touch with him.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:40 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
Gov Sanford deserves a break. He has done nothing but make this state a better place to live. I hope he has a nice refreshing time away from the dumb legislature. Thumbs up Mr. Sanford
This has to be a joke.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Man View Post
But the abandonment charge was a political hack job that achieved what they wanted. But it was a bogus claim all the same. They knew where he was and how to get in touch with him.
The guy flew to another country, lied to the public about it, and turned off his cell phone, making himself unavailable. I don't care what prompted people to rat him out; he still did all those things. Further more, reports are coming out that he flew there in the past no the taxpayers' dime. No matter how you slice it, no matter what ticked off political hack outed him, he still did those things. He needs to just take his lumps.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:28 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,369 times
Thanks, NYBORN. I just hope and pray that somehow we can wrestle the power away from Bauer and the circling vultures, as someone else so aptly put it. If anyone on the forum has ideas or suggestions as to how those of us outside the political circle can help to push our state in the right direction, please share them. HOw can we as individuals make a difference outside of exercising our right to vote.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:25 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,319 times
Politicians have had affairs in office since the nation began. Thomas Jefferson
fathered children from his slaves. Jefferson could truly be called the "father of our country". Their behavior certainly does not mean that type of behavior should be encouraged but it seems as if it is a normal part of the office.
The news media love this story. CNN had "experts" discussing Gov. Sanfords'
psychological reasons why he had an affair while in office. While watching I wondered how do they know what is in his heart? Its really none of our business. Why can't we focus on the real issues as our nation crumbles around us? The voters will decide in the next election if Gov Sanford remains in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina