Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 04:38 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,254 times

Advertisements

The myth of Republicans being the "party of family values" is equivalent to the myth of Democrats being the "party of compassion." Both have carved out their niche to get votes, and the public falls for it. It's one thing to talk a big game, and another thing entirely to back it up in your actions.

By all indications, Sanford is a nice guy who messed up. Unfortunately for the GOP, he messed up and got caught. It will be interesting to see how they clean up this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
A "nice guy"? I don't care if he shtupped an armadillo, the point is he abandoned his job and the people who voted for him.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:00 AM

Story in The Greenville News today reporting that Gov. Sanford is now admitting that he saw his mistress more times than previously mentioned during his public apology:

Gov. Sanford admits additional liaisons with Argentine woman | GreenvilleOnline.com | The Greenville News

This quote sums up just how stupid he has been:

"In early 2009, after Jenny Sanford discovered the affair, the couple went into counseling. She has told The Associated Press that he asked her several times to visit the mistress and she refused."

So not only is he dumb enough to have an affair, but he had the brilliant idea to set up a meeting between this woman and his wife?!? He doesn't understand women at all!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:35 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Story in The Greenville News today reporting that Gov. Sanford is now admitting that he saw his mistress more times than previously mentioned during his public apology:
What a shock -- NOT!

Quote:
So not only is he dumb enough to have an affair, but he had the brilliant idea to set up a meeting between this woman and his wife?!? He doesn't understand women at all!
No, he wasn't trying to get the wife to go meet the other woman. He was begging his wife to let HIM go see the other woman.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
No, he wasn't trying to get the wife to go meet the other woman. He was begging his wife to let HIM go see the other woman.
I am not reading it that way. Here's that part of the article:

"In early 2009, after Jenny Sanford discovered the affair, the couple went into counseling. She has told The Associated Press that he asked her several times to visit the mistress and she refused.

But the governor claims he wanted to end the affair in person and, with his wife's permission, went to New York with a "trusted spiritual adviser" serving as chaperone. The three went to church and dinner together and parted ways the same night."

I think it's disgusting that he and this woman went to church together. "Hey baby, do you want to have adulterous sex before or after church?"

Old 06-30-2009, 01:02 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I am not reading it that way. Here's that part of the article:

"In early 2009, after Jenny Sanford discovered the affair, the couple went into counseling. She has told The Associated Press that he asked her several times to visit the mistress and she refused.

But the governor claims he wanted to end the affair in person and, with his wife's permission, went to New York with a "trusted spiritual adviser" serving as chaperone. The three went to church and dinner together and parted ways the same night."

I think it's disgusting that he and this woman went to church together. "Hey baby, do you want to have adulterous sex before or after church?"
I think skaternum is right b/c the line after 'he asked her several times to visit the mistress and she refused' is "But the governor claims he wanted to end the affair in person..." implying to me that he wanted to visit her so he could end it which is what he was asking her, not have his wife meet her - how awkward would that be! I mean he's proving right now that he's not the brightest crayon in the box, but that would be flat-out moronic to expect your wife to meet w/your mistress, and I don't think that he is even that dumb!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:23 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
OMG. This just gets worse and worse. AP: SC gov 'crossed lines' with women - Sanford - The State (http://www.thestate.com/sanford/story/846998.html - broken link)

Earlier today he admitted that he's seen Maria more times than he originally stated. And now ... wait for it ... he admits he "crossed the line" with other women, but didn't go all the way. Notably, he emphasized that this was before he became involved with Maria. Yep, it's still all about Maria for him. Sheesh. If this doesn't drive the forgiveness right out of Jenny's heart, I don't know what will.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:53 PM

Sanford is getting more pathetic as the days go by. First the teary apology, then the Bible lesson about David, and now the admission of additional contact with Maria as well as "crossing the line" with other women. He says that the latter did not include intercourse, but even if that is true it was probably much more than a walk through the park while holding hands! <insert "does oral sex count?" debate here> :P

I bet he's had an affair with at least one other woman at some point, but that's purely speculation on my part. He's clearly established that he cannot be trusted.

Jenny Sanford is a remarkable woman - intelligent, classy, and well put together. She deserves so much better than her scumbag of a husband. I hope she divorces him for all the world to see.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 PM

672 posts, read 2,113,502 times
I hope no one else has posted this but I found a funny! I called Sanford a complete MORON today after hearing this new information.

I looked up the technical definition of moron...interesting coincidence...

Moron is a city in Argentina, to the west of Buenos Aires

Old 06-30-2009, 04:28 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Once upon a time, I not-so-jokingly suggested to my state representative that we change the state motto from the oh-so-depressing Dum Spiro Spero (all we have is air and hope??) to Gratiae Dominei Mississippus. Because ... thank God for Mississippi, or we'd be LAST in everything.
Dum Spiro Spero is "While I breathe, I hope", which is one of my favorite state mottos, along with NC's Esse Quam Videri (To be, rather than to seem).

Anyway, this is a very bothersome story. I've been less than fond of Sanford for some time, but even if I liked his politics, I'd be left wondering why men in power can't seem to control their "little guv'ners".

It's embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina