Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 06:46 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times

Advertisements

i have noticed since spending alot of time out side and in my garage that there are lots of spiders here in sc. has anyone ever been bit by one ? i have found alot of websites that are very informative but i wanted to find out from people first hand that live here. being new to the area anything you can add will be very helpfull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:17 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,244 times
I have a ton of golden orb weavers outside of the house I am about to close on. Supposedly they are poisonous, but not bad enough to kill you. Big suckers, though.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:34 PM

WOW, i just googled those. your right those suckers are big. i don't see any of them around my house. how big would you say those are ? the biggest spiders i have seen around our house are about the size of a quarter. there are so many different spiders around here i'm just trying to identify them so i know which ones i need to look out for.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
WOW, i just googled those. your right those suckers are big. i don't see any of them around my house. how big would you say those are ? the biggest spiders i have seen around our house are about the size of a quarter. there are so many different spiders around here i'm just trying to identify them so i know which ones i need to look out for.
Old timers call them "writing spiders" because they create zig-zaggy patterns in their webs that look like writing. They can get very large. You may not see them around your house, but chances are you do have them. They like to live in shrubs and bushes or may sometimes create a web in the corner of a porch. They're beneficial, so don't kill them, but don't "play" with them, either - they tolerate people getting extremely close to them, but they will bite. Chances are unless you have some odd allergic reaction to their venom (like people who are allergic to bee stings) a bit won't hurt you beyond a swelled welp, though.

Here's a pic of one that lives just outside the doors of our office area here in Atlanta (note, this is a relative baby one in terms of size, about 5 inches across, maybe) ...

Inside your house you'll get common Wolf Spiders. They're good. They actually walk around and hunt down poisonous spiders and kill them. Some are solid brown, but some have stripes on their butts.

In basements, garages, or corners that are not commonly used, you might get Black Widows. They ARE poisonous, and though there have been extremely few deaths from bites, it hurts like hell and makes you just about wish you were dead. Red hourglass marking on bellies - you can't miss 'em when you see them. Don't reach under stuff unless you can see or are wearing gloves in areas prone to them.

The last poisonous one is the Brown Recluse. Small. Their venom will cause "ulcerations" where your skin basically rots and creates a hole of varying sizes. In extreme cases, skin grafts or amputation have resulted in venom reactions, but much of the time you get a honkin' nasty ulcer/sore that hurts hurts hurts and requires antibiotics, etc.

Just keep your house clean, don't leave piles of papers and stuff piled up in the basement or garage, spray once a month, yadda yadda. You should be fine.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 AM

wow atlantagreg thanks for the very informative information. this will help very much. what would be good to use to spray around ? we keep our home and outdoor area around the house cleaned up. i did read from a website that if you can't see you fingers when reaching for something to wear gloves.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
wow atlantagreg thanks for the very informative information. this will help very much. what would be good to use to spray around ?
Well, I belong to Costco, and buy the 1 gallon jugs of Ortho Home Defense spray. I think it runs around $18 per gallon there, but you can also get it at places like Home Depot, though it will most likely cost more. I do know it works, because I use it in an outdoor work shop too, and there are tons of dead spiders where I spray it. Use with caution in pet/child areas (read the directions). Unfortunately, it doesn't discriminate between the good and bad spiders.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:08 PM

i'll have to make sure ijust use it outside and in my garage then. i just hate spending money on stuff that doesn't work. it's nice to find out from someone that has used it. have you ever seen a spider that is about the size of a nickel and has like a red and black strip down it's back ? i came accross one this afternoon while i was cleaning up some yard stuff outside. have you seen any websites that have spider identification pictures ?

Old 06-29-2009, 05:20 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Black widows are probably the most common dangerous spider to keep an eye out for.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
have you ever seen a spider that is about the size of a nickel and has like a red and black strip down it's back ? i came accross one this afternoon while i was cleaning up some yard stuff outside. have you seen any websites that have spider identification pictures ?
Black Widows are black and red, but the red is usually on their undersides.

Here's a Google Search for "black red spider". Maybe it'll have some results for you: Google

Old 06-30-2009, 06:47 AM

thanks for the google search it was very helpfull. atleast i'm getting a good idea of what spiders are here and which ones to look out for. being new to this very warm climate would you recomend having my house sprayed inside and out ? i haven't seen any thing insde besides ants and i have been looking pretty much very where. i have also spray foamed and caulked every crack. we remodeled the entire place so it's pretty sealed up. is there such a thing as pet friendly spray ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina