U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:24 AM

3,400 posts, read 4,965,983 times

Advertisements

Haha! This gave me a chuckle.

You know you're from South Carolina if.....

This one's worth a look too. Much longer though..

You know you’re from South Carolina if: A Haute Collection

Add your own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:49 PM

1,941 posts, read 2,710,527 times
The first one is hard for me to relate to, but maybe that's because I didn't grow up in a rural area out in the middle of nowhere. SC's cities are nothing like that.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:24 PM

5,409 posts, read 9,487,343 times
I guess my birth certificate is phony then, because I can only relate to a handful of those silly remarks. I suppose this is considered humorous to people from out of state though.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM

6,444 posts, read 8,992,990 times
I've seen this list before. There are a few on the list that are funny, but most are either WAY too general and could apply to just about anyplace ("You've never met any celebrities", "You measure distance in minutes.") or barely even apply to SC at all ("You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day", for example. When is there ever need to do that in SC? Of all the places I've lived, SC has the smallest temperature shifts...)

Then, of course, there are many that are rooted in ancient stereotypes (Bib overalls? Even in the DEEP sticks, few people wear those anymore unless they're deliberately attempting to come across as "down-home"... with the exception of Carhartt overalls, which I see worn by working men as often up north as down south...) and those that celebrate a sort of intentional unsophistication (3 spices: Salt, Pepper, Ketchup... and again, none of those things are particularly Southern or South Carolinian.)

So, yeah. I think the list needs improvement.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:05 PM

5,020 posts, read 8,580,623 times
If you read the lists for many of the other states they are similar to ours in many ways.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:25 PM

269 posts, read 1,072,532 times
You know you're from SC when...

you here someone say "South Carolina" and you smile and think.."Home"

Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 AM

843 posts, read 1,758,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I guess my birth certificate is phony then, because I can only relate to a handful of those silly remarks. I suppose this is considered humorous to people from out of state though.
Don't take it personally, Skyliner. That same list has been passed around for at least 13 years under the guise of each of the 50 states.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:34 PM

3,400 posts, read 4,965,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
You know you're from SC when...

you here someone say "South Carolina" and you smile and think.."Home"
Hey! I like that one.

If ya'll want the list to be better, then add make up your own and post it here. Guess I shouldve said that in the 1st place...

Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 AM

3,541 posts, read 9,095,080 times
i thought the four seasons was pretty funny.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:03 PM

14 posts, read 26,701 times
I wish we still had Dairy Queens. Not the generic ice cream store, but the hambuger and hot dog version. You know you're from South Carolina when you sold your mama's gravesite so a transplant can build his McMansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina