Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times

Advertisements

Perhaps this is the first time the O.P. has left New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 08:17 PM

35 posts, read 105,018 times
I have barely been out of NYS and the times I have I wasnt looking for front plates. The car I drive is not really ment to have a plate on the front, it looks akward and silly. So being that I am moving there I was very curious to see if SC had front plates.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,805 times
most people aren't responsible enough to do it them selves that's why it's mandentory in almost every state. the only reason you can't run with a check engine light on is do to emissions. that is the only time it will come on. the only reason why they check seat belts and i found this out from being a firemen is that alot of seat belt retractors were not working there fore it doesn't serve it's purpose. i have lived in nh as well as ny and they are both strict on state inspections. in nh you don't have to have insurance their so strict. also to the person that wanted proof of inspections causing more accidents . why do you think sc has on of the highest insurance rates in the country ? i can bet it's because of no inspection and more accidents. i know since moving here our insurance has doubled and i have a clean record and drive an older car. we were even told that by our insurance agent the samething. i don't have figures to show you but with all the cars i've seen running around that are falling apart with pieces hanging off and falling off. if it's driver error then it's probably to do with all the broken windshields i have seen, every other car has one and that causes impaired vision because it distracts the driver from the road.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:20 AM

199 posts, read 493,009 times
Default Cost of freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
most people aren't responsible enough to do it them selves that's why it's mandentory in almost every state. the only reason you can't run with a check engine light on is do to emissions. that is the only time it will come on. the only reason why they check seat belts and i found this out from being a firemen is that alot of seat belt retractors were not working there fore it doesn't serve it's purpose. i have lived in nh as well as ny and they are both strict on state inspections. in nh you don't have to have insurance their so strict. also to the person that wanted proof of inspections causing more accidents . why do you think sc has on of the highest insurance rates in the country ? i can bet it's because of no inspection and more accidents. i know since moving here our insurance has doubled and i have a clean record and drive an older car. we were even told that by our insurance agent the samething. i don't have figures to show you but with all the cars i've seen running around that are falling apart with pieces hanging off and falling off. if it's driver error then it's probably to do with all the broken windshields i have seen, every other car has one and that causes impaired vision because it distracts the driver from the road.
If high insurance rates are the cost of freedom - I'll take it!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,196 times
I think that JFrracing makes a very good point. And, Tinabean drives that point home. Inspections do flag safety problems with your car. If you do not have enough money to repair your car, you may, as Tinabean stated, just get by. However, the inspections force you to get the repairs done. I do not have the statistics on whether or not this has caused less traffic accidents. Yet, I would imagine that it is always safer when people's blinkers are working, their lights or working, etc.

SC is the first state that I have lived in where I haven't been required to get an inspection. I still have my inspection sticker in my car from the previous state that I lived in. I will keep it there until it expires. After all, I did pay for it

As for the front license plate, I placed my university license plate in the front. It breaks the monotony of seeing all of those USC license plates

Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 AM

187 posts, read 980,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
Again, the majority of car accidents are caused by driver distraction and error, not mechanical issues. Talking to a passenger, using a cell phone, texting, changing the radio station, eating...that is fact. Over the course of several decades, there has been no conclusive evidence that mechanical faults are to blame for any significant number of accidents.

People that are not responsible enough to maintain their cars are not going to be responsible enough to give their full attention to the road while driving.

Trust me, I am certainly not a fan boy of South Carolina--our government is still in the dark ages in many regards--but I just do not buy for one second that the mandatory inspections actually do anything except produce revenue for the government.

The effectiveness of vehicle safety inspections: an analysis using panel data. | Trends & Events > Inspections from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/specialty-businesses/155310-1.html - broken link)
http://www.ncleg.net/PED/Reports/doc...VSI_Report.pdf

You should look into some of the studies that show vehicle safety inspections do not improve highway safety and prove to be little more than political interest. Some studies suggest safety inspections may reduce the number of fatalities, but do absolutely nothing to reduce the frequency of non-fatal accidents.

The number of states actually requiring safety inspections is dwindling and is now 16 plus the District of Columbia. If it were truly effective, this would not be the case. Back in 1973, Congress rescinded the requirement of safety inspections in order for states to receive federal highway funds due to lack of evidence they actually reduced the accident rate.

Why does South Carolina have such high insurance rates? It is because we have a high accident rate because laws are not enforced. People drive without licenses (especially common with our illegal immigrant population who also do not typically carry insurance), they drive with suspended licenses, operating vehicles without at least liability insurance, they drive while intoxicated with few consequences. That is the reality of living in this state.

South Carolina also has the highest rate of violent crime in the nation. What sort of government inspection could create a false sense of lowering that statistic?

Old 07-10-2009, 11:59 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,805 times
all your points are very good and also some information i wasn't aware of. i see your point about insurance rates being so high. we just moved here back in march and it doesn't seem like it's that bad but then again we live where it's pretty rural and there isn't to much around us.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:44 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
My insurance rates dropped by half when I moved from Chicago to Greenville. I understand that everyone's situation is different but I just don't understand how you could be paying more here.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBenn85 View Post
Again, the majority of car accidents are caused by driver distraction and error, not mechanical issues. Talking to a passenger, using a cell phone, texting, changing the radio station, eating...that is fact. Over the course of several decades, there has been no conclusive evidence that mechanical faults are to blame for any significant number of accidents.

People that are not responsible enough to maintain their cars are not going to be responsible enough to give their full attention to the road while driving.

Trust me, I am certainly not a fan boy of South Carolina--our government is still in the dark ages in many regards--but I just do not buy for one second that the mandatory inspections actually do anything except produce revenue for the government.

The effectiveness of vehicle safety inspections: an analysis using panel data. | Trends & Events > Inspections from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/specialty-businesses/155310-1.html - broken link)
http://www.ncleg.net/PED/Reports/doc...VSI_Report.pdf

You should look into some of the studies that show vehicle safety inspections do not improve highway safety and prove to be little more than political interest. Some studies suggest safety inspections may reduce the number of fatalities, but do absolutely nothing to reduce the frequency of non-fatal accidents.

The number of states actually requiring safety inspections is dwindling and is now 16 plus the District of Columbia. If it were truly effective, this would not be the case. Back in 1973, Congress rescinded the requirement of safety inspections in order for states to receive federal highway funds due to lack of evidence they actually reduced the accident rate.

Why does South Carolina have such high insurance rates? It is because we have a high accident rate because laws are not enforced. People drive without licenses (especially common with our illegal immigrant population who also do not typically carry insurance), they drive with suspended licenses, operating vehicles without at least liability insurance, they drive while intoxicated with few consequences. That is the reality of living in this state.

South Carolina also has the highest rate of violent crime in the nation. What sort of government inspection could create a false sense of lowering that statistic?
South Carolina has high insurance rates? I only pay about $700 a year for full coverage on a 3 year old Volvo. I don't think that's high. I agree about the ineffective state government here, but the reason for the high violent crime rate is because of domestic violence. If you can figure out how to empower people to make better choices of friends/spouses then I'm all ears.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:03 AM

187 posts, read 980,465 times
SC is not the highest, Washington DC followed by New Jersey are. South Carolina is right in the middle for average premiums, though not "cheap." North Carolina is significantly cheaper while Georgia is quite a bit more expensive (on average).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina