Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:59 AM

94 posts, read 362,618 times

Advertisements

Help!!!! Im thinking about starting over in a medium-city in sc. List some second tier citues to choose from and give ur opinion on them!

Last edited by Mountaineer_195; 07-25-2009 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:49 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
I'd rather not bite into this bait. A quick look through your 44 other posts in the Georgia forum (since yesterday) shows you are VERY happy in Columbus. We don't need any more city vs. city arguments in the SC forum today, thank you.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:55 AM

94 posts, read 362,618 times
I just want to know, dude. My daughter and I want to get away from my ex wife in Columbus and go to south carolina. I need choices. Please?

Old 07-25-2009, 10:04 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Just read through the subforums here and you'll have more than enough information to digest. The main cities (not all are "second-tier") in each region of the state are:

Upstate
  • Greenville
  • Spartanburg
  • Anderson

Midlands
  • Columbia
  • Sumter

Lowcountry
  • Charleston-North Charleston
  • Orangeburg

Coastal & Pee Dee
  • Myrtle Beach
  • Florence

Rock Hill is another notable city, just south of Charlotte, NC.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:15 AM

34 posts, read 174,442 times
I think Greenville is the best choice, it's vibrant and the entertainment downtown is amazing!!!!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:20 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer_195 View Post
Help!!!! Im thinking about starting over in a medium-city in sc. List some second tier citues to choose from and give ur opinion on them!
It depends on what your definition is of a 'second-tier medium city' means.

From a national perspective, the largest cities in SC are medium-sized cities - Columbia, Charleston & Greenville. Any of the three are good, and offer variety from each other. My recommendation would be to find work first and then get picky about which city is ideal for you as jobs aren't exactly easy to come by right now anywhere in the state.

Medium-sized cities by SC standards are small cities from a national perspective such as Spartanburg, Rock Hill, Florence, Sumter, Myrtle Beach & Hilton Head being the main cities in that category.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:04 PM

45 posts, read 156,802 times
I have lived in Myrtle Beach and just loved it!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:43 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
It depends on what your definition is of a 'second-tier medium city' means.

From a national perspective, the largest cities in SC are medium-sized cities - Columbia, Charleston & Greenville. Any of the three are good, and offer variety from each other. My recommendation would be to find work first and then get picky about which city is ideal for you as jobs aren't exactly easy to come by right now anywhere in the state.

Medium-sized cities by SC standards are small cities from a national perspective such as Spartanburg, Rock Hill, Florence, Sumter, Myrtle Beach & Hilton Head being the main cities in that category.
Not to get too picky, but I think from a national perspective, Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville would be viewed as small cities and Rock Hill, Spartanburg, Florence, etc. would be viewed as big towns.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:31 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Not to get too picky, but I think from a national perspective, Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville would be viewed as small cities and Rock Hill, Spartanburg, Florence, etc. would be viewed as big towns.
I guess it's all in your perspective. The MSA rankings are: Columbia - #69, Charleston - #81 & Greenville #82; given that there are over 300 MSA's in the country is why I consider them all to be medium-sized cities. Some other cities that are right around them that I consider to be mid-sized cities are Greensboro (#72), Akron (#71), Baton Rouge (#67), Little Rock (#78), Toledo (#79) & Syracuse (#80); yet, at the same time, I don't think of Bradenton, FL (#73) or Springfield, MA (#74) as being in that same category.

If the state weren't so strict on annexation requirements, all 3 cities - but especially Greenville & Columbia - would have much larger populations than they currently show. Charleston's problem is it has very little land area available to grow into w/the ocean to the east, Mt. Pleasant to the northeast, and N. Charleston to the north, it can really only grow out to the south and west.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:33 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I guess it's all in your perspective. The MSA rankings are: Columbia - #69, Charleston - #81 & Greenville #82; given that there are over 300 MSA's in the country is why I consider them all to be medium-sized cities.
There are just very few big and true midsized cities in the nation and many more smaller cities/big towns. They aren't evenly divided. Personally, I consider NYC, LA, Chicago to be huge cities (might be able to thrown SF in there too). Then DC, Boston, Seattle, Philly, Detroit, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami, etc. are the big cities. The midsized cities are Charlotte, Austin, Tampa, Phoenix, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, etc. Then below that are the small cities like Columbia, Charleston, Greenville, Greensboro, El Paso, Fresno, Toledo, etc. Then there are the big towns and so on. At least that's my own particular grouping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina