Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2007, 10:22 PM

11 posts, read 41,436 times

Advertisements

Just curious. What is the norm when someone moves.... do the new people introduce themselves to the neighbors or vice-versa?? How about if it's an apartment complex?

I've lived in this tiny town in Illinois for 5 years. Honestly, I didn't introduce myself to anyone (worked alot... evening shifts and weekends). Our drunk neighbor did introduce himself and make us welcome. We get along with his family and have never had any problems. Also, a sweet older lady two houses down. But that's it. I don't know anyone else in this town. (except an officer who hates me..lol) I've seen some neighbors before and tried to strike up conversations, but it was really like pulling teeth. And other neighbors I have never even seen (except when they mow their grass).

Before we moved here, I told my husband I wanted to move to a place where the neighbors all waved at you. When we were in town looking at the house, several people waved (or maybe it was just the older lady driving by several times....lol) Now I'm wodering if this is just an unfriendly town or if I somehow caused this by not going door to door and introducing myself.

Any input? What's the norm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 07:08 AM

64 posts, read 303,962 times
I have always found here in the South the neighbors are very helpful. The times I have moved they have been over with a pie or cake, offered to help with the unloading, brought lunch over and told me which grocery store was best and invited me to church. My neighbor will mow my yard(if I dont beat him to it). Hope you find some like I have had. It makes life so much easier.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:34 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,177 times
I've only been to our property in SC once, and yet we met two neighbors who stopped to introduce them selves while we were standing by our car. I'm sure they wanted to 'check us out', but they also seemed genuinely friendly, and told us a lot about the area. In contrast, we've been in our current house in FL for 12 years, and only know a couple neighbors. The rest are 'nodding acquaintances'. I think because FL is such a transient population, people don't tend to form attachments. And my native CT can be very aloof. After 20 years in a town, you're still 'the new people'. Interestingly, I've found that the more up-scale the neighborhood, the less friendly people seem to be. When we move to SC, it is a rural and fairly poor area, yet people are friendly. I intend to try to meet the neighbors more so than I did in FL.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:12 PM

14 posts, read 49,337 times
Default the norm

the norm is that the neighbors should take the intiative and introduce themselves. it's THEIR neighborhood and you are moving into it. it would not be bad for you to take the initiative either - but the expectation should fall to the original neighbors.

check out our neighborhood: www.mymurraywood.org - great place.
i now have to go outside 15 minutes early so i can visit with my neighbors BEFORE leaving in my car. i love the south... and i grew up in Philadelphia.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:56 AM

57 posts, read 238,207 times
Default Hi,Heatherbee

Where did you move to?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:02 AM

11 posts, read 41,436 times
Default where I live

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbjf View Post
Where did you move to?
I live in a small town called New Athens. It's southeast of St. Louis, MO.

(warning - bloggy)
The reasons that I decided to move here is because it is by a river (Kaskaskia). We have a little marina in town. It's quiet and there isn't alot of crime. I wanted a safe/friendly place where my children could grow up. Also, it's beautiful at night because it's far away enough from the city that you can actually count stars at night. I use to come home from work and lay in my front yard and just stare at the stars thinking "this whole sky is all mine."

But after a few financial difficulties things changed. My lawnmower broke and I coundn't afford a new one, couldn't find anyone to mow my grass. The village kept getting on me about it. At first they seemed nice, then turned mean. Heck, I was 4 months pregnant (and showing) and out in the yard pushing the lawn mower that I had to borrow from a friend. I started getting the impression that this place expects you to make a certain amount of money and if you don't meet their criteria, they want you out. The neighbors have even told me that the cops said they have "chased" people off in the past. I think that's sad. When someone is down on their luck, they just need a hand. I think you should help them rather than "run them off".

Okay, I'm rambling. I'll stop now.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
we usually give or get cakes and pies and visits. Its nice, in the north we got nothing

Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 PM

286 posts, read 1,477,951 times
When we first moved to Travelers Rest 7 years ago, we had 8 neighbors show up bright and early with coffee and muffins. They all stayed for 4 hours to unload the Uhaul.

The landlords children made a poster that was hanging on the wall welcoming us to town!

In contrast, we ended up building in a transient community in Greer and things worked out very much like flgargoyle's experience in Florida. in 6 years there we had lots of "nodding acquantences".

We're now building again and this time back in Travelers Rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina