Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 AM

388 posts, read 1,784,441 times

Advertisements

Like everyone else who makes sweet tea, my recipe works for me and everyone around here seems to like it.

12 regular bags of Lipton tea in a quart container with 1 1/4 cup of Splenda.

Pour boiling water over the tea and Splenda and let seep for 7 minutes. (like posted above, the "sugar" must be part of the boiling mix)

Remove tea bags and squeeze real hard over the container to capture all the tea.

Transfer mixture to gallon container filled with ice to cool tea quickly. Add water to make one gallon.

Some folks say Splenda leaves a slight after taste, but no one has caught me at it yet, even the people who don't use lemon in their sweet tea.

I love sweet tea made with real sugar, but I try to limit my sugar intake, and this makes a pretty good brew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
I make it like i learn to make it from mom and grandmom, brewing tea and sugar, sometime I make a simple syrup and crush peppermint leaves

Old 04-26-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerhardt View Post
There was a time when you just couldn't find unsweetened tea down here - but with people moving around and diets we now have both... But when we (southerners) visit up north - they look at ya like you're crazy when you order sweet tea - '' there's sugar on the table sweetie'' - well, it aint the same... :-)
You got that right, and I pity the people who don't know the difference.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:19 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
You got that right, and I pity the people who don't know the difference.
HUGE difference.

Just because I love South Carolinians so much (and all who appreciate good, strong sweet tea), I will reveal the heretofore closely-held secret of my own tea:

I use only Red Rose brand regular black tea.

You can buy it online or find it in the coffee/tea section at your local Publix grocery store. Look for the blue box. Open the box, close your eyes and inhale for an out-of-body experience that will instantly transport you below the Mason-Dixon line to a Southern grandmother's kitchen.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:44 AM

actually Magrack:

we have always been able to find unsweetened tea, since tea starts out unsweetened we dont buy it in a jug, we make it ourselves and you have to add the sugar or leave it out for unsweetened tea.

I have always been able to find it sweetened and unsweetened out at restuarants here in SC, and other places throught the south.

always drank it both ways

Old 04-26-2007, 10:16 PM

True, here also. My wife drinks hers unsweetened, and I drink sweet tea, except when I make it at home, I use Splenda (recipe above).

When you get out of the southern states, and order sweet tea, they generally don't have a clue what you mean.

Many think adding sugar to unsweetened tea makes it "sweet tea", but we know better 8>).

Old 04-27-2007, 07:00 AM

108 posts, read 377,196 times
I agree, its not the same adding the sugar to already COLD tea.

Now, Im no expert but I know a couple of things which can make or break.

Number 1 is the brand of tea you use. It makes a big difference. {Thanks for the recommendation Figment!} My mom LOVES red rose too. I also like tetley but I might play around with other brands this summer. Anyone here use luzianne?

Number 2, if you let the teabags steep too long it can become bitter.

Number 3, someone already said, be sure to add the sugar while its hot, or make a simple syrup.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:41 PM

once when i was in college in New England in February, I ordered iced tea and they told me it was out of season. I said whaaaaaaa???

ok give me hot tea, a glass with ice and I will show you how to make iced tea.

what the heck kind of tea did they think iced tea was???

Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 AM

106 posts, read 431,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerhardt View Post
But when we (southerners) visit up north - they look at ya like you're crazy when you order sweet tea - '' there's sugar on the table sweetie'' - well, it aint the same... :-)

No, it's no the same at all. Not only does the sugar not dissolve in cold tea, it doesn't taste anything like it.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:22 AM

106 posts, read 431,309 times
magrack: Thank you. I tried another recipe this past weekend but it wasn't that good. I'm going to try yours later today.

Figment 07: Red Rose you say? Gotta run to the grocery store before I try magrack's recipe.

getmeoutofnj: When we were in SC I had sweet tea everyday but the one I liked best was from a gas station called El Cheapo (pretty funny) and it was Luzianne tea. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it here in NJ. I also tried the one from McDonald's because it was right across the street from our hotel ... I didn't like that at all. It was sickeningly sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina