Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 29,222 times

Advertisements

Hi I am from the northeast and my family has decided that a move to the Murrells Inlet area would be fitting considering the high cost of living up here in the north. I was wondering if anyone has any advice/opinions on the area and if there are any nicer places to move. And also if the cost of living is truely less than the northeast/western massachusettes area. thanks, all your help would be apreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 09:16 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,851,474 times
I've moved to the Pawleys Island area from Long Island and found it to be less expensive pretty much across the board. The only thing that has been significantly more expensive has been the homeowners insurance, in particular the windstorm rider. Some groceries may be a touch more expensive too. But just about everything else has been reduced from the LI prices.

There are several new housing developements along the Rte 707 corridor that I have heard are nice. Do you have an area in mind?

Old 04-29-2007, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 29,222 times
Default thank you

actually i dont really have any specific areas i was just wondering the just of things because i am actually a teenager who is having a hard time with the possible move and i wanted to know alittle about the cost and true positives and negatives. however i think the area we're looking into is Murrells Inlet near myrtle beach. and thanks alot i apreciate the info youve given me so far ill be sure to share it with my parents.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:36 PM

Here is a link to an informative thread on MI.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/south...lls-inlet.html

If your folks move to the Georgetown side of Murrells Inlet you will most likely go to HS at Waccamaw in Pawleys Island. My step son attends school there and I have been impressed so far but he has been resistant to most of it... he misses his freinds in NY. Here is the link to the school:
http://www4.gcsd.k12.sc.us/education...p?sectionid=22

If you move to the Horry County side you would go to the Saint James HS which I have heard is good but don't know much about it.

If you are not into sports there are many clubs at the schools and I have seen that many of the teenagers belong to youth groups sponsored by the local churches. Not necessarily holy rollers but a place for kids to chill out. This is one of the more active:
http://www.belinumc.org/youth

If you like to fish or go to the beach or boat, you are definately in the right area.

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 27,929 times
Default murrells inlet

Even tho this is a response to an old post, I think if you are considering a move to Myrtle Beach area, Murrells Inlet, has it hands down. From Murrells Inlet south thru Litchfield and Pawleys Island is beautiful. That is the quieter end of the beach and I think a little more money area. Many folks moving from up North, and that is a good thing!
Have been here since 1994 from MI. Had one son just starting High School (10th) at the time. He loved it the first 4 months, then realization hit him that it was a permanent move. Wanted to move back, but after a VERY short time, he adjusted. We always thought he would return once graduation and career came into play, but he loves it here now and opened a biz, as we did too.
Murrells Inlet is nice, we live in a private gated community and have to confess, we don't even know where the keys to our home are. Never lock the doors except at night, leave for work with the screen doors open for the fresh air. Very safe area. Wachesaw Plantation is a private golf course, but we do not belong. Nice walking paths, biking, tennis, Marina. Huntington Beach State park is just 2 miles down the road, across from Brookgreen Gardens. Fabulous, both places. We can go to the beach most days and not see more than a dozen people. Winter and fall we sometimes are only ones there. Ride our bikes out to the Inlet, grab a bite or just listen to the variety of music almost every restaurant will have during warm weather.

I would NOT recommend to buy off 707 as there is only 2 skinny lanes and they have built many many subs all along 707. Get behind a truck or slow moving good ole boy and you've had it. Traffic is not up north traffic, but still will slow you down. Prices out on the inlet are expensive. Cost of living is still lower than NE. Our $500K house taxes are about $1800 and the homeowners is high I think at $2700 even tho we are not near the water, the insurance co's. worry about wind & hail.

Much to do, great weather 10 months a year, well Dec. & Jan will be cold in the a.m. till 11 or so then around 50 degrees, might go to 26 once a year at night.
Redeveloped the old Air FOrce Base near the MB airport recently and all high end stores, i.e. Tommy Bahama,Orvis, (see Marketcommon.com) lots of fun things restaurants, concerts, paths for running, biking) Hard Rock just finished building a $400M amusement park. Great airport, arrive 1 hour ahead of your flight and have plenty of time. Walk to your car instead of a bus to the terminal. Lots to do besides golf.

Still trying to get used to the slow pace of locals tho after all these years, (you will never be a local - always a damn Yankee in their eyes) kind of hard to hear such prejudice still, but thank goodness for people moving here and changing some of that. Most of the Southern locals are very nice, but they will always think of you as a transplant.

I'd keep away from Forestbrook or Carolina Forest areas - horrible traffic, never move off Hwy 501.
Good luck - I'd do it again, can't take the cold anymore.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 AM

Good post Beachinit, what businesses do you have? I'm always happy to support the local shops, especially when they are a fellow City-data member!

Old 06-22-2008, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 27,929 times
We used to have 2 Softub Spa stores in Michigan before we moved here. Originally opened a store in '94 at Inlet Square Mall and sold tons of Pawley Island Hammocks and other gift items. Now it is so bad until they re-organize. Anyway, we are the Softub dealer for SC and WIlmington. We ship free nationwide and end up shipping to a lot of folks who see the spas on vacation. Our son decided to open his restaurant
(Parrotheads) back in Columbia in FIve Points once he graduated USC.
He's doing great and we're really proud of his efforts to build it all on his own.
We really love the area and think Pawleys is the place to be. My husband surfs there when the waves appear which is not too much lately. But he must check the waves each day "just to see if there are any". For anyone up North thinking of moving here, I'd say like Nike "Just Do IT" there are so many transplants and you can't beat the weather.
Our son's home in Myrtle Beach is 2500 st. ft. 4 bed. 2.5 baths, small pool, on a man made lake and taxes are only $684 a year. It's unbelievable compared to Long Island or Michigan. Miss everyone up North, but don't think we could ever go back.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:22 PM

151 posts, read 568,775 times
Love it there! Our dream retirement location. Only concern are hurricanes. It is most definitly a flood waiting to happen, just a matter of when, this century, next who knows. So home insurance will be at a premium. Good luck, and yes I am jealous.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
For anyone up North thinking of moving here, I'd say like Nike "Just Do IT" there are so many transplants and you can't beat the weather.
Agreed... glad your son's business is doing well. I am in the same frame of mind as your husband. I don't actually need to be in the water, but I still like to check. I'm sure we've passed each other walking along the water somewhere.

SatTerra, unfortunately if you reside anywhere along the coast you will be subjected to high insurance rates now. I am waiting to see if they raise the rates in Tornado Ally & the wildfire areas of California like they have done to hurricane path states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina