Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:11 PM

106 posts, read 431,420 times

Advertisements

Since so many wonderful people helped and gave me advice on this board before our trip I wanted to tell you all how it went ...

We left NJ at 9PM last Thursday night (took I95 all the way) and got into the Charleston area on Friday morning at 10PM. We had 2 hours to kill before we could check into our hotel so we decided to get back on Rt 26 and head to Ridgeville since one of the homes we were going to look at was there. We thought maybe we could find it ourselves.

We stopped at the general store to ask if they knew where the street was that we were looking for but nobody knew. The man behind the counter was so nice and tried so hard to help us. He got out a map and asked a few other people in the store and even offered to call the realtor for us. Then he suggested we go to the police station, which was right up the street, and ask them. So we did.

There was one officer there and he was super nice. He called 4 different people, including the sheriff but again, nobody knew. So he looked up directions on Mapquest and told us to follow him. He said we got him curious and now he wants to know where it is too. We followed him for a while, to the county line, and he said this is where Mapquest says it should be but it's not here, lol. And he told us that if we find it with the realtor (the next day) that we have to come back and tell him where it is. He also gave us his work and home phone numbers and told us that he's born and raised in Monck's Corner and would be more than happy to show us around anytime.

Trying to make a long story short ... We met with our realtor at 1:30 and he took us to see 3 homes. One in North Charleston, one in Summerville and one in Lincolnville. Unfortunately none of them were on our list and they were all 3 bedrooms (we need 4).

Saturday morning we had a great breakfast at Denny's which is NOTHING like the Denny's up here in NJ. Then we drove out to Cottageville (about 40 minutes) to meet our realtor at a house at 12:30. He got there at 1:45, lol. We loved the neighborhood and the house.

Then we headed for Ridgeville, following our realtor who was doing 80MPH and had warned us so many times about speeding. We actually lost him twice because he passed cars in front of him and ran a red light.

We got to Ridgeville about 70 minutes later and we LOVED this house! The only problem was there was a huge (about 200 feet) tower in the backyard that was NOT in any pictures. It also had a pond in the front yard, which was great, but ... my daugher and I walked over to it and I was SHOCKED to see what looked like a baby alligator, about 2 1/2 feet long. I wasn't going to say anything because I didn't want to sound like a paranoid notherner ... then all I could picture was this thing running up out of the water after us, LOL.

So I quitely said to our realtor, I don't want to sound paranoid or alarm anyone but ... there's an alligator in the pond. Well, our realtor, he was about 25-26 years old, just about jumped out of his shoes, ran to the pond, grabbed a handful of rocks and threw them at this thing. I immediately grabbed my 3 year old daughter and we backed up a couple feet. That's when our CRAZY realtor leaned down and took a hold of it's tail and pulled it out of the water a bit. It was dead and it's tail had been cleanly cut off (it was only about 10 inches long). I took a few picutres of it and he made me promise to e-mail them to him.

The next day (Saturday) we headed back out to Cottageville to look around on our own. We talked to a few poeple at the local gas station and found some more really nice homes. And on the way back to the hotel we looked through Summerville also, and we liked it there too.

We checked out of the hotel at 2 and drove to Conway, SC to visit friends. We hadn't considered Conway before but once we got there we decided to put it on our list. Mostly because it's closer to the water than Cottageville & Summerville and my husband and dad are avid saltwater fishermen and we're bringing a boat with us when we move.

We left Conway at 5PM on Sunday (taking Rt 701 to I95) and got back to central NJ at 5:45AM.

In all it was a great trip and we can't wait to move there. As soon as I came home I lowered the price of our house by $12,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 05:13 PM

890 posts, read 4,327,809 times
Wow, that's quite a story. That alligator thing is weird and your Realtor sounds, well, interesting. Glad it was a good trip though. Keep us posted.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:01 PM

425 posts, read 1,570,988 times
I am exhusted just reading it. SOunds like lots of fun. Hope your house sells soon.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:56 PM

12 posts, read 48,788 times
I loved your story!!! I live in Summerville and love it!

Old 04-30-2007, 08:13 PM

41 posts, read 216,529 times
You are boaters and love to fish!! Conway is right on the Intracoastal Waterway. If that isnt enough water, check out nearby Murrells Inlet or North Myrtle Beach.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgava View Post
Since so many wonderful people helped and gave me advice on this board before our trip I wanted to tell you all how it went ...

We left NJ at 9PM last Thursday night (took I95 all the way) and got into the Charleston area on Friday morning at 10PM. We had 2 hours to kill before we could check into our hotel so we decided to get back on Rt 26 and head to Ridgeville since one of the homes we were going to look at was there. We thought maybe we could find it ourselves.

We stopped at the general store to ask if they knew where the street was that we were looking for but nobody knew. The man behind the counter was so nice and tried so hard to help us. He got out a map and asked a few other people in the store and even offered to call the realtor for us. Then he suggested we go to the police station, which was right up the street, and ask them. So we did.

There was one officer there and he was super nice. He called 4 different people, including the sheriff but again, nobody knew. So he looked up directions on Mapquest and told us to follow him. He said we got him curious and now he wants to know where it is too. We followed him for a while, to the county line, and he said this is where Mapquest says it should be but it's not here, lol. And he told us that if we find it with the realtor (the next day) that we have to come back and tell him where it is. He also gave us his work and home phone numbers and told us that he's born and raised in Monck's Corner and would be more than happy to show us around anytime.

Trying to make a long story short ... We met with our realtor at 1:30 and he took us to see 3 homes. One in North Charleston, one in Summerville and one in Lincolnville. Unfortunately none of them were on our list and they were all 3 bedrooms (we need 4).

Saturday morning we had a great breakfast at Denny's which is NOTHING like the Denny's up here in NJ. Then we drove out to Cottageville (about 40 minutes) to meet our realtor at a house at 12:30. He got there at 1:45, lol. We loved the neighborhood and the house.

Then we headed for Ridgeville, following our realtor who was doing 80MPH and had warned us so many times about speeding. We actually lost him twice because he passed cars in front of him and ran a red light.

We got to Ridgeville about 70 minutes later and we LOVED this house! The only problem was there was a huge (about 200 feet) tower in the backyard that was NOT in any pictures. It also had a pond in the front yard, which was great, but ... my daugher and I walked over to it and I was SHOCKED to see what looked like a baby alligator, about 2 1/2 feet long. I wasn't going to say anything because I didn't want to sound like a paranoid notherner ... then all I could picture was this thing running up out of the water after us, LOL.

So I quitely said to our realtor, I don't want to sound paranoid or alarm anyone but ... there's an alligator in the pond. Well, our realtor, he was about 25-26 years old, just about jumped out of his shoes, ran to the pond, grabbed a handful of rocks and threw them at this thing. I immediately grabbed my 3 year old daughter and we backed up a couple feet. That's when our CRAZY realtor leaned down and took a hold of it's tail and pulled it out of the water a bit. It was dead and it's tail had been cleanly cut off (it was only about 10 inches long). I took a few picutres of it and he made me promise to e-mail them to him.

The next day (Saturday) we headed back out to Cottageville to look around on our own. We talked to a few poeple at the local gas station and found some more really nice homes. And on the way back to the hotel we looked through Summerville also, and we liked it there too.

We checked out of the hotel at 2 and drove to Conway, SC to visit friends. We hadn't considered Conway before but once we got there we decided to put it on our list. Mostly because it's closer to the water than Cottageville & Summerville and my husband and dad are avid saltwater fishermen and we're bringing a boat with us when we move.

We left Conway at 5PM on Sunday (taking Rt 701 to I95) and got back to central NJ at 5:45AM.

In all it was a great trip and we can't wait to move there. As soon as I came home I lowered the price of our house by $12,000.

Sounds like this has the great beginnings of a new comedy/sitcom/reality show~

Welcome to the Carolina's!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:54 AM

86 posts, read 611,284 times
Very Funny story! Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:04 AM

sixinthefamily: Sorry it was so long. I actually shortened it a whole bunch!

I didn't even mention the fact that our hotel was right next to an air force base and cargo planes & fighter jets were taking off right above us every 30 minutes or so. It was REALLY loud ... but really fun too. My daughter loved it!

Old 05-01-2007, 02:10 PM

245 posts, read 1,019,872 times
There are gators around. Heck at Goodale State Park, near Camden, there is a 15 foot gator that lives there. His name is Elvis!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:59 PM

Default wow

Wow, 15 feet! I don't think my realtor would have been throwing rocks at him!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina