U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:03 AM

3,368 posts, read 4,267,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
He did - it is called Stateburg.
Interesting....I wonder why Sumter grew more than Statesburg? Maybe the arrival of the railroads??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:19 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,799,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Interesting....I wonder why Sumter grew more than Statesburg? Maybe the arrival of the railroads??

I'm really not sure why stateburg floundered -

It was intended to be the state capital, after the revolutionary war, but Columbia won out.

however, why Sumter grew and Stateburg didn't is a mystery to me.

If I had to take a wild guess - I would say that it has to do with agriculture. Sumter is in a better location for cotton distribution from Clarendon and Lee counties, and Tobacco from the pee dee. Stateburg is a little further up in the sandy hills.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:15 AM

404 posts, read 733,767 times
Honestly the best way to see what the most "metro" like city in a state would be is to see how big their airport is... Greenville, Columbia and Charleston all have small airports. So not really a big metro. In terms of being the most progressive and growing it would have to be the upstate with Greenville and Spartanburg.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:22 AM

7,108 posts, read 5,445,035 times
Columbia has the most big-city-looking skyline if you don't include hotel row on the beach at Myrtle Beach. As far as big-city metro? Columbia, Greenville and Charleston are comparable.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,242 times
Default Housing

My mother wants to move to SC.... She's on a fixed income... She mention about living in government housing... Does anyone have any recommendations as to where would be a good place for her to live... Where she's living at right now you have to drive 45 mins just to get to a grocery store...Any suggestions would be very helpful...

Old 01-16-2010, 07:06 PM

You might start with the Columbia Housing Authority. Also, call the TN Development Corporation. They provide apartments at below-market rental rates. And Christopher Tower, a high-rise downtown might have some openings if your mother is 62 or older (not government housing, but some Section 8 I think).

Old 11-03-2013, 09:42 PM

557 posts, read 341,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Columbia has the most big-city-looking skyline if you don't include hotel row on the beach at Myrtle Beach. As far as big-city metro? Columbia, Greenville and Charleston are comparable.
"Most big-city skyline" 'Wow' Now that really means it's the Biggest city in the state.
EGOS

Old 11-03-2013, 09:49 PM

2,817 posts, read 1,587,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
"Most big-city skyline" 'Wow' Now that really means it's the Biggest city in the state.
EGOS
Trolling again?

Old 11-03-2013, 10:05 PM

1,389 posts, read 597,120 times
Again. What does size have to do with anything? What does a big building stacked with floors of cubicles occupied by employees who hate being there.....do to make a city better/worse?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
EGOS
You dug up something from three years ago? I didn't say that having the most "big city" skyline in the state meant Columbia is the biggest city in the state. It's the largest municipality, but not because of the skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina