Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:10 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,616,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Charlotte is in North Carolina, and while the very southern suburbs along I-77 down to Rock Hill are in South Carolina, it is very much a North Carolina city.
Agreed, although some of the more provincial Triangle & Triad people will act as if Charlotte was in South Carolina.

Quote:
What is South Carolina's big metro, in your opinion?
My opinion, it is Charleston, due to its dense downtown, and its name recognition. It isn't any larger than Greenville or Columbia, just more well-known.

Of course this all depends on how you define "Big Metro". CSA, MSA, city limits? Size, population, GDP, or some subjective comparison?

Quote:
I don't understand why some people try to include North Carolina and South Carolina as one state, as though it functions together.
This is a transplant thing, natives don't see it this way.

You typically hear this from people and organizations who don't have any familiarity with this area, like the New York Times, Forbes, or CNN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 01:30 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,008,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

This is a transplant thing, natives don't see it this way.

You typically hear this from people and organizations who don't have any familiarity with this area, like the New York Times, Forbes, or CNN.
I think it can be argued that it's more than just a transplant thing. 2 of the 3 pro teams just use the 'Carolina' name - Panthers & Hurricanes. I know here in Columbia, a lot of people including the guys on TV & radio will refer to the Gamecocks as just 'Carolina' and I know that especially when it comes to college basketball, people refer to the Tar Heels as just Carolina more than hearing UNC or North Carolina.

You also have terms such as 'Metrolina' - referring to Charlotte.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,616,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I think it can be argued that it's more than just a transplant thing. 2 of the 3 pro teams just use the 'Carolina' name - Panthers & Hurricanes.
"Carolina Panthers" was a marketing tool, and did in fact upset some people with the use of just "Carolina", back in 1994 or so, when they started.

"Carolina Hurricanes" are a Connecticut team playing ice hockey in Raleigh, which is nothing but transplants anyway, and I refuse to believe that any native North or South Carolinian plays ice hockey.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,668,749 times
There's a reason the CAROLINA Panthers have their training camp in Spartanburg instead of Charlotte.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:58 PM

925 posts, read 2,598,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
"Carolina Panthers" was a marketing tool, and did in fact upset some people with the use of just "Carolina", back in 1994 or so, when they started.

"Carolina Hurricanes" are a Connecticut team playing ice hockey in Raleigh, which is nothing but transplants anyway, and I refuse to believe that any native North or South Carolinian plays ice hockey.
I've got to agree with you. The Raleigh-Durham area seems as though it is loaded with northern transplants, much more so than in the Charlotte area.

In Charlotte, it feels very much like a southern city, despite the fact that it too has seen lots of transplants. It seems, however, that southerners are still the dominant majority by a heavy margin, whereas in Raleigh, it seems closer to 50-50 southern/non-southern.

The Triad seems to have even fewer transplants than Charlotte, but the Triangle seems to attract very many of them.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:59 PM

925 posts, read 2,598,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
There's a reason the CAROLINA Panthers have their training camp in Spartanburg instead of Charlotte.
For a few years, the Atlanta Falcons held their training camp in Greenville, South Carolina, while the Carolina Panthers held their training camp in nearby Spartanburg.

Under your premise, I suppose Atlanta is a "carolina" city.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:09 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,491,510 times
South Carolina has 3 medium-sized metro areas - there are no big cities in South Carolina.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:21 PM

93 posts, read 214,643 times
I have to agree with NewYorkBorn. I moved to Charleston a little over a year ago from Brooklyn, NY. Coming here from a neighborhood where the population density was maybe 50,000 per square mile to a place like Peninsular Charleston, which has about 10,000 per square mile, felt kind of like a small town to me.

Nevertheless, to answer the OP's question, Charleston appears more urbane than other southern cities of similar size due to its higher than average density in the historic district and adjacent neighborhoods.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:48 PM

5,519 posts, read 15,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Yes, there is a reason and his name is Jerry Richardson. He is the ONLY reason they would consider a place like Spartanburg.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:58 PM

5,231 posts, read 6,156,138 times
Well- the Panthers actually played in South Carolina their frst season and train in SC. Their home city is on the SC/NC border. So to me it is logical they are more of a shared Carolina's thing. If they were in Raleigh I would not extend the same leeeway.

And to me Columbia feels the most like a city. I live in Charleston and outside downtown (which is a nice old city but is too low to give away its size) the area is generically southern, sprawl or low country. Greenville really is about sprawl as well and does not have a big city feel.

If you want a true big city you need to look elsewhere. Also none of the SC metros holds an outrageous sway in terms of politics or culture. We are not like Missouri where everyone has to wait up on election night to see how high vote counts are in St Louis- or Virginia with NOVA. Greenville has the most economic power, Columbia has the state Gov't and Charleston has the culture and most of the prominant (within the state gov't) office holders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina