Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 03:59 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Sorry, but saying people will only move South if they are earning the same salary as in the NE doesn't sound right to me. Many have moved from the NE to the SE because of lower taxes ,home prices etc. You don't need the same amount of money to live on,unless of course you're greedy!
It is not greed to expect to be paid more then minimum wage - $12.00 an hour which is the going rate for most of the jobs here. Everyone I know from the Northeast that has relocated to the south and has an education, good resume and is used to making real money would not have made the move if it was not going to be financially beneficial. They sure will not move here to take $9.00 an hour jobs!! If people expecting to live well is greed then so be it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 07:46 PM

12,877 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Someone deleted a lot of stuff on here. How sucky. At any rate I've learned something new and have been reminded of something. I've learned it's not true that if you can make it there you can make it anywhere and I've been reminded that northerners know it all.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:57 PM

All of a sudden the stuff I thought was deleted reappeared. How weird. One second it was gone and the next second it was back. Oh well. Almost all the jobs to be had in New York right now are low-paying compared to the cost of living there. There are exceptions, but that's all I've been reading. I know - don't believe everything you read. The change in population in the NY MSA between 2007 and 2008 was 0.4% and the largest segment of that population increase was new immigrants seeking any job they could find. Stores are closing all over the place. That's been in the New York Times. I know - don't believe everything you read.

If you have a good attitude you can find a good job, even in these times, even in South Carolina.

I'm 51 years old and all my life I've met people who moved here from New York. Not many of them if any have said they felt they made a mistake and that they wanted to go back up there.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:59 PM

The agency I work for is hiring now for $32,000 a year to start, in Columbia, Greenville and Charleston. The position requires a college degree and only four years of professional experience in any field.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Exactly and if there were good paying job opportunities in SC more of them would move here and enjoy more spacious living.......therefore the fact that the 8 million people stay there with more people arriving to live there everyday points to the fact that there are employment opportunities there. If there were no jobs in NYC people simply would not want to live there.
So the bottom line is that as you said there is a long history in NYC which is the reason that city was established a long time ago. It is time for the natives to stop burying their heads in the sand and admit that jobs are lacking here.

Speaking of slums there are people here in SC living in ragedy trailers that are practically falling on their heads out in the country!
Since this is called City Data, I didn't mention the poor people in the country in South Carolina. By and large people don't just pick and leave where they are from. The Southeast, while enjoying newcomers and new development, is depending on the vast majority of New Yorkers and people from the other large cities of the Northeast to stay put where they were born and raised since we can't possibly absorb them all.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:16 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Sorry, but saying people will only move South if they are earning the same salary as in the NE doesn't sound right to me. Many have moved from the NE to the SE because of lower taxes ,home prices etc. You don't need the same amount of money to live on,unless of course you're greedy!
Retired people are the bulk of those who move down here, or those who can AFFORD to move down here. My parents can certainly afford to live here on their (fixed) income. Why say people are greedy just because they enjoy a higher quality of life? I don't understand it.

My parents don't suffer financially by any means, can afford 2 homes, go on vacation any where they choose to, own whatever car they want...Could they do that back up in NY? No way. Their taxes were over 7,000 a year.

However, there is no way in hell my parents could have survived up there making SC pay rates. You CAN live down here, with northern pay (bring your northern job with you, along with the pay; retire down here with your northern pay rate, etc.).

It really is sad, because people here work just as hard. Why not get paid accordingly?

Old 09-14-2009, 05:28 AM

Put simply, there's a reason people living and working in NYC are paid NYC wages and people living and working in SC are paid SC wages. It's called the cost of living.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
All of a sudden the stuff I thought was deleted reappeared. How weird. One second it was gone and the next second it was back. Oh well. Almost all the jobs to be had in New York right now are low-paying compared to the cost of living there. There are exceptions, but that's all I've been reading. I know - don't believe everything you read. The change in population in the NY MSA between 2007 and 2008 was 0.4% and the largest segment of that population increase was new immigrants seeking any job they could find. Stores are closing all over the place. That's been in the New York Times. I know - don't believe everything you read.

If you have a good attitude you can find a good job, even in these times, even in South Carolina.

I'm 51 years old and all my life I've met people who moved here from New York. Not many of them if any have said they felt they made a mistake and that they wanted to go back up there.
I respect everyones opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours. As far as your belief that all of the jobs available in NYC right now are low paying.............that is false. Several of the big fortune 500 companys are hiring recently, such as:

Sony Music Group
Citigroup
Bank of America
Columbia & New York University - which by the way is where I received my education.
Revlon Inc., Madison Ave location recently hiring.
BET (television network)

And the list goes on and on.........hiring not for low paying jobs but good paying jobs. Not sure what you are reading, but if you go to some of the popular job boards and do a job search there are plenty of jobs in NYC. Also go to the websites of the companys that I mentioned and you will see jobs in their career section. Anyone with some education, work experience and a decent resume will find a good paying job in NYC. SC can not say the same thing, good attitude or not! SC is unfortunately a place that is stuck in time and 20 years behind when it comes to catching up with other states.

As far as not knowing anyone who moved south and then moved back to NYC or other places, you may not know any but I know a lot of people that did it. If someone is retired and not worried about money then there is no problem for them here in SC. Other then that, moving here expecting to find an abundance of decent paying employment opportunities will leave a newcomer in a state of shock!

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 09-14-2009 at 06:47 AM..

Old 09-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I respect everyones opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours. As far as your belief that all of the jobs available in NYC right now are low paying.............that is false. Several of the big fortune 500 companys are hiring recently, such as:

Sony Music Group
Citigroup
Bank of America
Columbia & New York University - which by the way is where I received my education.
Revlon Inc., Madison Ave location recently hiring.
BET (television network)

And the list goes on and on.........hiring not for low paying jobs but good paying jobs. Not sure what you are reading, but if you go to some of the popular job boards and do a job search there are plenty of jobs in NYC. Also go to the websites of the companys that I mentioned and you will see jobs in their career section. Anyone with some education, work experience and a decent resume will find a good paying job in NYC. SC can not say the same thing, good attitude or not! SC is unfortunately a place that is stuck in time and 20 years behind when it comes to catching up with other states.

As far as not knowing anyone who moved south and then moved back to NYC or other places, you may not know any but I know a lot of people that did it. If someone is retired and not worried about money then there is no problem for them here in SC. Other then that, moving here expecting to find an abundance of decent paying employment opportunities will leave a newcomer in a state of shock!
I didn't say all the jobs currently available in NYC are low-paying. I said the vast majority of them are and that the low-paying ones are going largely to immigrants who are looking for whatever jobs they can find. And I don't know how many people out of all the people storming into NYC for a better life will land those high-paying jobs, but the competition is steep I'm sure. And NBC is saying right now that the Feds are coming down hard on BOA for the same 'ol, same 'ol business as usual practice of paying obscene bonuses to the big city CEOs. I'm sure they'll need every penny of those bonuses to have a decent life in the Big Apple, though.

The mantra about SC being 20 years behind the rest of the nation is the same one I've been hearing all my life. Good to know we're not losing ground.

It's been a while since I got my B.A. in English at USC, and I'm sure a grammar rule or two has changed since then, and that I probably could use some brushing up, but I'm certain that when a word ends in y and the y is preceded by a consonant as in the word company, you still drop the y and ad ies to make it plural. As I mentioned once before, other than that your grammar has been pretty impeccable.

I'm sure you know people from New York than I do.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 PM

Columbiadata, some things I agree with you and some things I do not. We will have to agree to disagree. As far as a majority of the jobs in NYC going to immigrants........there is no way any fortune 500 company is hiring an immigrant to fill a good paying position. Just to clarify what I mean by a good paying job........I do not consider a $30,000 annual salary to be a good job.......most who earn that amount of money by the time they pay apartment rent, light, gas, food, gas in the car (used car in most cases) and God help them if they have children to take care of.......by the time they pay for all those things there is no money left to do anything that is enjoyable!

You are right about what you said though I too have heard all my life about the southern states being economically behind the other states. However rather then listen to the warnings that my NYC work colleagues gave me when I told them I was transferring........I instead decided to give SC a chance and see for myself. Now that I have had an open mind I see that everything that I have heard for years is very true. In the end SC has a very long way to go but like you said with another good point the way things are right now this state simply can not absorb us newcomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina