Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:54 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dband22 View Post
Boy, you really sound like you are a BLAST at a cocktail party! How can you walk with that chip on your shoulder?

Someone give this person some cheese with that whine!
That is hilarious coming from a Jack-a-s who is on the Idaho thread and calling the town "a run down blue collar town"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 05:47 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
People really need to stop pretending that it is not the state of SC fault that things are jacked up in this state. SC had the 3rd worst unemployment this summer..........what that means is that there are a lot of other states that were hit by the recession too but not as bad as SC.

Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe if SC would have made some progress 20 years ago instead of fighting progress that maybe it would be in a better economic position right now and maybe we would not have so many people unemployed??
While the state has made some progress, it still has a long way to go. You speak truth.

Quote:
SC has a bad reputation of lagging behind the rest of the country economically.....it has been that way for years, it is that way now during this recession and it will be the same BS when the rest of the country has recovered. Trust me the state of SC will be the last state to recover from this recession because there are a bunch of people living here who lack vision, ambition and an open mind!
Well it won't be the last state to recover, but some intelligent decisions will have to start being made by the leadership of the state in order to chart a more economically prosperous future for the citizens of South Carolina. The state has been playing catch-up for some years now and it will have to work even harder if it doesn't want to get left further and further behind.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:50 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Here is an objective article about the current state of South Carolina's economy from the Greenville News. Manufacturing will have to be replaced by something else.

South Carolina's drop in jobless rate encourages experts | GreenvilleOnline.com | The Greenville News
And the process of doing so should have started at least 20 years ago. The metro areas can do a better job of playing catch-up much, much better than the rural areas can, and that's where the pain will continue to be felt due to the declining manufacturing sector.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:53 PM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times
The nation is going to become more and more urban and suburban anyway. And as far as getting left behind is concerned, that's the whole United States.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:41 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times
The US Census Bureau's just released figures show that from 2007 to 2008 SC's household income went in the right direction: 1.6% to $44,034. For comparison purposes, NY's went down 2.2% to $50,643. That's a difference of $6,609. Of course, that's just a comparison between the states, not between the cities or metros.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,383 times
I am 60, have vast experience in business and education. I also hate snow, and have a very wealthy family. I have lived in NC, SC, and close enough to GA (Lake City, FL) to give advice. I grew up in North Carolina, and have lived all over the state. Went to college the first time there. Lived in Charleston, SC for 3 years.

My point is that I know these areas from many viewpoints, economic, employment, quality of life, taxes, etc. Your current best bet would be in the vicinity of Spartanbury/Boiling Springs, SC. Near larger cities, but very quiet, and with a cost of living index of 87. US Average is 100. So you can live there cheaply, giving you youngster's time to establish yourselves, and save some money.

Once you are rich, move to Greensboro, NC. Then when you retire, move to Nags Head, NC.

Good Luck.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,215 times
well i need to say in all the world today our geatest need is one another nothing can be any stronger than a world who believe that anything is possible if we only believe in each others.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:04 AM

3 posts, read 6,360 times
My best bet for you is to move to Charlotte or Atlanta. There are more job opportunities there. South Carolina has nothing to offer as far as jobs unless you are in the healthcare industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina