U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-05-2007, 06:07 PM

174 posts, read 21,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oct15 View Post
Ha ha. Looking for something closer than 3 hours away. We'll be more near the Columbia area, so would like a lake within about 20-30 mins if possible.
I'm sure that it has already been mentioned but the answer is Lake Murray.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 12,783 times
We, too, are looking at the Greenville area. Both teachers, but over 55 and highly unlikely to get teaching jobs. DH is thinking about tutoring HS math & science. What area would you recommend that has the greatest number of schools to draw from?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:25 PM

5,409 posts, read 9,460,074 times
I would consider the Taylors or Cherrydale areas, which are near Downtown, Wade Hampton, Eastside, and Riverside, among many other public and private schools.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:55 PM

4 posts, read 32,358 times
Ok, I've read the posts on Florence, and it scares me. My hubby has been offered a job down there and he wants to take it. We do not have any children (can't) so schools are not an issue for us. What about the surrounding cities around Florence? Can anyone tell me about them? I'm interested in getting a job at the McLeod Hospital/Hospice, so a city closer to that area of Florence perhaps? Weather, Shopping, taxes, crime, traffic, etc. Thanks! Oh, we are in our mid to late 30's, if that helps.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:39 AM

4 posts, read 9,043 times
Smile Maybe you can help

Kat2k --

Maybe you can read my thread I jsut started "Good Area for Family with Children".

I would appreciate any help you could give!

Thanks!!!!

Old 06-16-2007, 09:36 AM

47 posts, read 91,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat2k View Post
Read what I told the above poster about Irmo, it's nice. Here's their website: Town of Irmo, South Carolina

Camden is nice, but a good ways from Columbia. I know it's Over 30 miles, around 35 I think. It's a small, historical town...the people seem hard working and friendly. Lots of horse-related things. Good luck!
Depending on where you are in Camden, Columbia is only 20-25 miles away. I live in Camden, now. I had to go to Columbia, near the heart of it and thought it would take over 40 minutes to get there and it it only took 25-30 minutes. As far as Camden is as a town, I don't like it. It has a lot of old money here. There is nothing to do and very few places to eat at, I have been here 1teay and already tired of the same old food here. Plus, the schools suck. I have 1 going in 1st grade and she has a speech problem, she went to speech class for 1 hour a week and most of the time she did not get to go because of problems at home the teacher had, don't get me wrong about things coming up at home, but she should of at least had my daughter see the other teacher. She was almost held back in kindergarten because of it. My other child was in middle school, he had so many kids picking on him, one African American girl, who was talking to her friends said "That white boy over there". Now if he had said the same thing but said black instead, everyone would have beat the c**p out of him. He had a kid who broke his nose in gym class and we are going after the school, because their is only 1 teacher for gym class and there should be 2. We could not even find a lawyer in our town who would take the case, because they are all buddies and all old money. I have 1 friend here. No one talks to us and I even tried to make friends in my neighborhood, by having a Partylite show and only 1 person came.
We just had a guy who was shot in the face at Wal-Mart. Even my husband who was born and raised in NC, is ready to get the heck out of here. We bought a brand new house and it is was so cheaply built, just a way to make a quick buck. You have to be careful where you buy a house at, because if you want to move resell can be very hard. There is a house right across the street from me in a very nice, old subdivision and it has been on the market for over 1 yr. It was going for $124,000. But it is so old and in need of fixing up, that no one wants to pay the price.
Also we moved her last Jan. and at thanksgiving the yr. before (2005), a guy died from simonella, a lot of people got sick from it, they ate at a restaurant here called Old South, and the ovens broke down and they never checked them and served the under cooked meat. By the way I had breakfast there and it sucked, the biscuits were flat like pancakes and hard. Oh and lets not forget about those wonderful fire ants that are all over the darn place, and the roaches. I don't care how clean you house is, they will still come in.

Last summer it got up to 107 degrees. It is very hot here and the cold only lasted about a month. Also you never know how to dress when you go out because it will be 30 in the morning and by noon it's up to 65-70. It gets so hot here in the summer that you don't even want to go outside to water your plants and if you do, you better be out there by 7 or 8 the latest to do it.
Also there is a blue law in Camden (and all of Kershaw county), Most stores will not open until 1:30 p.m. on Sundays. Wal-Mart is open 24 hours a day, but you can only buy certain things, like food, and they do not sell beer on Sunday's either. This law was made up because too many people were not going to church and the churches felt like you should be there instead. Camden is very religious, but thankfully they are going to vote on this soon and I hope they get rid of it. Sorry, but I don't think a church has the rights to tell me that I can't shop until 1:30 pm on Sundays, just because they think I should be at church. If I wanted to go I would, but who are they to try and force me to go.

Last edited by Sierra2Caden; 06-16-2007 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: want to add

Old 06-17-2007, 01:40 PM

49 posts, read 181,762 times
I have lived here my entire 33 years of living! I know just about every town, community and city in the State! I will list the best and worst places to live!

Worst Places in South Carolina...
Anderson...Lots of Crime, most areas are not good on the eyes, Prostitution, Drugs, and alot more!

Spartanburg...Alot more crime! Bank robberies are numerous! Southern Spartanburg "In the country" going towards Union is virtually crime free..Anderson & Spartanburg may be the worst Bigger Cities

Union...Dont move here! NO JOBS..Highest Teenage Pregnancy rate, Tons of dropouts, Drugs, Crime ...All in a town or city with 9000+ That is why you can buy houses with Lots of land for $40-60K

Gaffney...Crime, Drugs, etc...Land is cheap

Florence...Crime, Drugs, the city could use a facelift all over!

Myrtle Beach...Yes, Myrtle Beach is LOADED with Crime and not just from the Tourists! In the dead of winter there is still tons of crime! I went to the Gas stations in the middle of winter and the gas station had just been robbed!

Clinton...Small town of 7000-9000..Lots of Crime unless you are in the country towards Whitmire, Newberry or Greenwood. CHEAP HOUSING!

Laurens...Used to be the murder capital of South Carolina..I think that may have changed but there is still alot of crime!

Rock Hill, Fort Mill....Pretty bad! Not the worst but NOT GOOD!

OK enough of the bad...

THE BEST PLACES TO LIVE

Simpsonville ...Hardly any crime, Beautiful Scenery (although alot of the Farm Land is gone due to OUTSIDERS moving in). Still Very Cheap Housing versus just about any other Place in the USA! 15-20 Minutes from Greenville..45 Minutes to the Mountains (Table Rock State Park, etc), 3+ Hours to the Beaches.. The weather is Very nice except for about 5-6 Weeks of 90's!

Greenville...In Most areas very nice. Stay Away from White Horse Rd. and a few other areas.

Fountain Inn...VERY NICE. Cheap Housing. Low Crime.

Greer...Very Nice but there are quite a few places that are getting bad!

Aiken...Very Beautiful City! Cheap House Prices in MOST areas! Some Crime but mainly on one side of town. VERY HOT IN THE SUMMER!!! 100+ alot of days with Humidity!!!

Chapin..Virtually no Crime, Lake Murray, House Prices have gone way up over the last 10 years! HOTTER than the upstate in the summer!

Newberry...VERY nice small city or town of 11,000. Opera House, Nice Downtown, Not much crime (cops are ALL OVER, watch your SPEED!), CHEAP house prices! You can get LAND and Houses in and towards WHITMIRE for NOTHING! They just sold an 8 BR 5000 Sq Ft. House in Great Condition for $115,000...There are Houses for $20-40K and Land very cheap! BUT you have to drive 45 Minutes to Columbia or Greenville and there are not alot of jobs in that area!

Mount Pleasant..Very Nice, Low Crime, right at the coast..BUT HIGH house prices compared to the upstate or midlands, VERY HOT in the SUMMER!

There are other towns and cities that are good and bad but these are the main ones. I know more about all these areas if you want to know more!

Old 06-17-2007, 01:44 PM

1,958 posts, read 3,480,182 times
Hey SaveSouthCarolina,

Thanks for the info. very eye opening. What do you know about Easley, Pickens, Welcome, and Traveler's Rest?

Thanks

Old 06-17-2007, 02:19 PM

49 posts, read 181,762 times
Easley...ok area..average crime for south carolina..there are better places nearby

Pickens..The county itself has very nice areas up near Table Rock State Park is AWESOME! The house prices are higher because you have AWESOME mountain views and you are still 20-30 minutes from Downtown Greenville. VERY NICE in that part of Pickens County!

Welcome..Small town..Alot of gossip..average crime for SC. ok place

Traveler's Rest..Scenic..Cheaper houses than Greenville...Pretty Low Crime..

Pickens County would be the best out of these places especially in the Table Rock State park area. But alot of Born and Raised South Carolinians can not afford these houses! But if you have the money a great place to live right beside the mountains. A few degrees cooler in the Summer than in Greenville and only a few degrees colder in the winter. ALL THIS and you are only 20-30 minutes from downtown Greenville and still only 4 Hours from the Beaches!

Are you just looking for small towns near Greenville...?

Old 06-17-2007, 02:47 PM

1,958 posts, read 3,480,182 times
SaveSouthCarolina,

We live in a large metro area right now. High everything taxes, crime, drugs, food, gas, etc. We live on 1 1/2 acres in the middle of this mess. I moved here from a Texas small town 30,000. I don't like the big cities unless the wife and I need to go there. So Traveler's Rest and Pickens area's are in our sights

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina