Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 15,944 times

Advertisements

We are looking at the northeast side of Greenville - around Taylors and Greer. What can you tell us about those areas? We are looking for a retirement home (read last move!), but we will continue to work for the next few years, so don't want to be totally in the "boonies". Thanks!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:44 PM

13 posts, read 68,496 times
Default question for kat2k about moving to Surfside Beach

Hi,
I am wondering if there are many young families living in the surside/murrells inlet area? My parents live there and my husband and I are thinking about moving there with our 4 month old son. Do you know if its just mainly tourists and retirees? Do you think its a good place to raise a family?Thank you for your help!!
Nikki

Old 06-18-2007, 02:03 PM

13 posts, read 68,496 times
Default Dear savesouthcarolina, question about myrtle beach..help!

I noticed that you ranked myrtle beach as a dangerous place. My family lives in surfside and my husband and I live in California. We are thinking of moving to surfside/ murrells inlet (southern towns of myrtle) with our 4 m. old son. do you think this is far enough away from the crime? Do you know these areas south of Myrtle? I dont want to move my family somewhere dangerous. Thanks SO much for your help
Nikki

Old 06-18-2007, 03:15 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Nesters View Post
We are looking at the northeast side of Greenville - around Taylors and Greer. What can you tell us about those areas? We are looking for a retirement home (read last move!), but we will continue to work for the next few years, so don't want to be totally in the "boonies". Thanks!
I would suggest checking out the Rolling Green Village in the Pelham-Batesville area.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:13 PM

87 posts, read 329,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveSouthCarolina View Post
I have lived here my entire 33 years of living! I know just about every town, community and city in the State! I will list the best and worst places to live!

Worst Places in South Carolina...
Anderson...Lots of Crime, most areas are not good on the eyes, Prostitution, Drugs, and alot more!

Spartanburg...Alot more crime! Bank robberies are numerous! Southern Spartanburg "In the country" going towards Union is virtually crime free..Anderson & Spartanburg may be the worst Bigger Cities

Union...Dont move here! NO JOBS..Highest Teenage Pregnancy rate, Tons of dropouts, Drugs, Crime ...All in a town or city with 9000+ That is why you can buy houses with Lots of land for $40-60K

Gaffney...Crime, Drugs, etc...Land is cheap

Florence...Crime, Drugs, the city could use a facelift all over!

Myrtle Beach...Yes, Myrtle Beach is LOADED with Crime and not just from the Tourists! In the dead of winter there is still tons of crime! I went to the Gas stations in the middle of winter and the gas station had just been robbed!

Clinton...Small town of 7000-9000..Lots of Crime unless you are in the country towards Whitmire, Newberry or Greenwood. CHEAP HOUSING!

Laurens...Used to be the murder capital of South Carolina..I think that may have changed but there is still alot of crime!

Rock Hill, Fort Mill....Pretty bad! Not the worst but NOT GOOD!

OK enough of the bad...

THE BEST PLACES TO LIVE

Simpsonville ...Hardly any crime, Beautiful Scenery (although alot of the Farm Land is gone due to OUTSIDERS moving in). Still Very Cheap Housing versus just about any other Place in the USA! 15-20 Minutes from Greenville..45 Minutes to the Mountains (Table Rock State Park, etc), 3+ Hours to the Beaches.. The weather is Very nice except for about 5-6 Weeks of 90's!

Greenville...In Most areas very nice. Stay Away from White Horse Rd. and a few other areas.

Fountain Inn...VERY NICE. Cheap Housing. Low Crime.

Greer...Very Nice but there are quite a few places that are getting bad!

Aiken...Very Beautiful City! Cheap House Prices in MOST areas! Some Crime but mainly on one side of town. VERY HOT IN THE SUMMER!!! 100+ alot of days with Humidity!!!

Chapin..Virtually no Crime, Lake Murray, House Prices have gone way up over the last 10 years! HOTTER than the upstate in the summer!

Newberry...VERY nice small city or town of 11,000. Opera House, Nice Downtown, Not much crime (cops are ALL OVER, watch your SPEED!), CHEAP house prices! You can get LAND and Houses in and towards WHITMIRE for NOTHING! They just sold an 8 BR 5000 Sq Ft. House in Great Condition for $115,000...There are Houses for $20-40K and Land very cheap! BUT you have to drive 45 Minutes to Columbia or Greenville and there are not alot of jobs in that area!

Mount Pleasant..Very Nice, Low Crime, right at the coast..BUT HIGH house prices compared to the upstate or midlands, VERY HOT in the SUMMER!

There are other towns and cities that are good and bad but these are the main ones. I know more about all these areas if you want to know more!

There is nothing wrong with Fort Mill. It has one of the best districts in the state. Nice area, right on SC/NC border and considered an extention of "Charlotte".

Where ever you think you might want to move, do your own research. I doubt this person has been outside of the areas they mentioned above...

Dont mean to be snippy, but clearly I'm wondering what you were thinking

Old 06-18-2007, 05:13 PM

49 posts, read 272,365 times
To: Empty Nestors...Greer would be the best of those 2 choices. Greer has fairly low crime, still cheap houses, and right near Everything. Just make sure if you are concerned about crime to stay out in the country in Greer...There are some nice areas if you go down the road by the blockbuster and head out towards the Childerns Book Store..Nice Area. Simpsonville is alot better for crime as you have alot more areas to choose from. Greer is NOT in the boonies as you are minutes from everything.

To Nikki....Surfside is away from the BAD Crime of Myrtle Beach but I WOULD NOT live there with my 4 kids! Too many tourists and you will need to go into Myrtle Beach for Shopping and there is crime there even in the Winter and in the spring, summer and Fall the Traffic is HORRIBLE!

To Cutejanelle1...Exactly, Fort Mill is an extension of Charlotte and so the CRIME IS AS WELL! I have been ALL OVER THIS STATE! Probably MORE than any 33 year old in this state! I know almost every town and city and most neighborhoods in those places! Yes, there are some nice places in the Fort Mill area BUT I WOULD NOT raise my 4 kids there!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:47 PM

87 posts, read 329,195 times
Quote:
I have lived here my entire 33 years of living! I know just about every town, community and city in the State! I will list the best and worst places to live!

Worst Places in South Carolina...
Anderson...Lots of Crime, most areas are not good on the eyes, Prostitution, Drugs, and alot more!

Spartanburg...Alot more crime! Bank robberies are numerous! Southern Spartanburg "In the country" going towards Union is virtually crime free..Anderson & Spartanburg may be the worst Bigger Cities

Union...Dont move here! NO JOBS..Highest Teenage Pregnancy rate, Tons of dropouts, Drugs, Crime ...All in a town or city with 9000+ That is why you can buy houses with Lots of land for $40-60K

Gaffney...Crime, Drugs, etc...Land is cheap

Florence...Crime, Drugs, the city could use a facelift all over!

Myrtle Beach...Yes, Myrtle Beach is LOADED with Crime and not just from the Tourists! In the dead of winter there is still tons of crime! I went to the Gas stations in the middle of winter and the gas station had just been robbed!

Clinton...Small town of 7000-9000..Lots of Crime unless you are in the country towards Whitmire, Newberry or Greenwood. CHEAP HOUSING!

Laurens...Used to be the murder capital of South Carolina..I think that may have changed but there is still alot of crime!

Rock Hill, Fort Mill....Pretty bad! Not the worst but NOT GOOD!

OK enough of the bad...

THE BEST PLACES TO LIVE

Simpsonville ...Hardly any crime, Beautiful Scenery (although alot of the Farm Land is gone due to OUTSIDERS moving in). Still Very Cheap Housing versus just about any other Place in the USA! 15-20 Minutes from Greenville..45 Minutes to the Mountains (Table Rock State Park, etc), 3+ Hours to the Beaches.. The weather is Very nice except for about 5-6 Weeks of 90's!

Greenville...In Most areas very nice. Stay Away from White Horse Rd. and a few other areas.

Fountain Inn...VERY NICE. Cheap Housing. Low Crime.

Greer...Very Nice but there are quite a few places that are getting bad!

Aiken...Very Beautiful City! Cheap House Prices in MOST areas! Some Crime but mainly on one side of town. VERY HOT IN THE SUMMER!!! 100+ alot of days with Humidity!!!

Chapin..Virtually no Crime, Lake Murray, House Prices have gone way up over the last 10 years! HOTTER than the upstate in the summer!

Newberry...VERY nice small city or town of 11,000. Opera House, Nice Downtown, Not much crime (cops are ALL OVER, watch your SPEED!), CHEAP house prices! You can get LAND and Houses in and towards WHITMIRE for NOTHING! They just sold an 8 BR 5000 Sq Ft. House in Great Condition for $115,000...There are Houses for $20-40K and Land very cheap! BUT you have to drive 45 Minutes to Columbia or Greenville and there are not alot of jobs in that area!

Mount Pleasant..Very Nice, Low Crime, right at the coast..BUT HIGH house prices compared to the upstate or midlands, VERY HOT in the SUMMER!

There are other towns and cities that are good and bad but these are the main ones. I know more about all these areas if you want to know more!
Quote:
To: Empty Nestors...Greer would be the best of those 2 choices. Greer has fairly low crime, still cheap houses, and right near Everything. Just make sure if you are concerned about crime to stay out in the country in Greer...There are some nice areas if you go down the road by the blockbuster and head out towards the Childerns Book Store..Nice Area. Simpsonville is alot better for crime as you have alot more areas to choose from. Greer is NOT in the boonies as you are minutes from everything.

To Nikki....Surfside is away from the BAD Crime of Myrtle Beach but I WOULD NOT live there with my 4 kids! Too many tourists and you will need to go into Myrtle Beach for Shopping and there is crime there even in the Winter and in the spring, summer and Fall the Traffic is HORRIBLE!

To Cutejanelle1...Exactly, Fort Mill is an extension of Charlotte and so the CRIME IS AS WELL! I have been ALL OVER THIS STATE! Probably MORE than any 33 year old in this state! I know almost every town and city and most neighborhoods in those places! Yes, there are some nice places in the Fort Mill area BUT I WOULD NOT raise my 4 kids there!

NO CITY IS CRIMELESS... Where is your data to support that Fort mill is a crime ridden hole in the wall. If you've traveled more than me, all I can say is posters beware.... talk about over generalizations.. NOt everyone seeks middle of nowhere living... and for those who have children who work in a more city like atmosphere , Fort Mill/tega Cay is a great area. Since you have 4 kids, I would think the education of those children would be important to you, cant yet figure out why you wouldnt want them in one of the best school districts in your state (although, I do realize they are a little over crowded from the droves of parents who seek to have their children educated there)...

i think you need a hug

Old 06-18-2007, 06:54 PM

117 posts, read 449,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypat View Post
Can't wait to move from Long Island. My husband loves the area. I researched the area and I am sure I will be comfortable, also there are no crime free areas. You find them everywhere you go. Also, I am a new mom moving in the middle of May to Fort Mill. My husband has already relocated and started his job. I was wondering if there are any mommy and me groups that I could join with my l year old son. I have no family in the area and it would be nice to have friends for me and my son.
Any information would be helpful. Thanks, can't wait to get settled.
This may be late but there is a yorkcountymommies site that you can join and the people on there are great and get together for playdates all the time.Good luck with your move! It's a great area.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Hi no signal!
I see you are in Carlisle, PA. I have family in the area and have been there countless times over the past several decades. Are you looking to move down or did you move up from SC? Anyway, it is great to see a Carlisle resident in our forum.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:59 PM

49 posts, read 272,365 times
In reply to Cutejanelle1... Well you are right in a sense. Fort Mill is not a crime ridden hole in the wall by far, and I never said that. There are alot worse cities in the state as I stated in the original post. BUT, you are right in the middle of two unsafe places in Charlotte and Rock Hill. I mean you are only a few miles from the strip where teenage punks cruise around till 2 or 3am street racing, drunk teenagers, drug deals and so forth. SO, if you stay in Fort Mill then you should be OK!

Yes, I have 4 kids and 2 of them are a grade ahead! I am not being mean as you seem to be as I am only trying to share my vast knowledge of this area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina