Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times

Advertisements

Has the ARRA actually created 3 million new jobs? Usually we hear that it has "created or saved" _X_ number of jobs, which unfortunately provides an illusion regarding the total estimated impact and may easily be misinterpreted. How many of the created jobs are/were temporary Census jobs, temporary DOT jobs, and new IRS jobs?

I am seriously concerned about the way our federal government continues to dig a deeper financial hole instead of taking necessary action to climb out of it. No financial adviser worth listening to would recommend that an individual household continue spending whatever money and credit flows in while ignoring the multiplying long term debt that must be paid back. (read more)

I am also concerned about the out-of-control spending to increase the power and size of the federal government (mostly for unnecessary programs to satisfy politically important special interest groups) at the expense of independent small businesses, which are basically the heart of our national economy. (read more)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 07:36 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,336 times
Greed is what it is. Companies cut back on funding, workforce, or ship jobs overseas. Also SC doesnt value education, Im sure most of those jobs were blue collar. Why do you think the economy sucks so bad? GREED GREED GREED. Also the gov't doesnt care!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Has the ARRA actually created 3 million new jobs? Usually we hear that it has "created or saved"
Yes, it has. Created or saved 3,000,000 jobs.

And what's the difference? A saved job still means one more American who is NOT in the bread lines.

THe Congressional Budget Office, a neutral arm of the legislative branch, one that both Dems and GOP agreed was the best source of info (until it said what the GOP didn't want to hear, anyway) is the source of the number.

I can post the info, if you'd like.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
Greed is what it is. Companies cut back on funding, workforce, or ship jobs overseas. Also SC doesnt value education, Im sure most of those jobs were blue collar. Why do you think the economy sucks so bad? GREED GREED GREED. Also the gov't doesnt care!
The Republicans are the party of big business- greed.

The Democrats, until Clinton, were the counterbalance, but now they are the party of a 'kinder, gentler' greed.

Both represent the same corporate interests.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 AM

540 posts, read 1,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
True. "The One" said that with the passage of the stimulus, national unemployment would not go above 8%. Wow, was he ever wrong. Seems "The One" has been wrong on most everything......so much so that instead of calling him "The One" people are now calling him "The One Term".
Definitely agree. Don't see him getting another term, thankfully. Even people that were staunch supporters have changed their attitude once their eyes opened. Hopefully it won't take the next president his entire term in office to undo the damage. I was on the fence about him in the beginning...definitely not so much anymore!

When a President hopeful makes some strong statements like he did on his running platform, you darned well better know you will be expected to at LEAST attempt some of those things. I think his downfall was trying them all at ONCE. People just got sick of the promises and his pointing of fingers. This time he needs to stand up and admit HE is currently at fault, and not his precessesor any longer. It's sort of like when you have your kids all saying "I didn't do it! Wasn't me!" when something breaks and they all look around innocently. You KNOW one of them did it, and it's usually the one pointing the fingers the most.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
When a President hopeful makes some strong statements like he did on his running platform, you darned well better know you will be expected to at LEAST attempt some of those things. I think his downfall was trying them all at ONCE. People just got sick of the promises and his pointing of fingers.
The main problem Mr. Obama has is that he ran as a Progressive, and is now governing as just another Corporate Democrat.

This is seen in his poll numbers where his greatest drop (%-wise) has been among Progressives.

If Democrats would have wanted another corporate character, they would have supported Hillary Clinton.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:50 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,045 times
Quote:
Even people that were staunch supporters have changed their attitude once their eyes opened
Quote:
When a President hopeful makes some strong statements like he did on his running platform, you darned well better know you will be expected to at LEAST attempt some of those things. I think his downfall was trying them all at ONCE.
I have to say I have avoided this thread but I have to stop in and defend my President. Maybe my eyes are still closed but I happened to think Obama has done quite well under the circumstances. According to Politifacts.com, a Pulitzer prize winning, political fact checking group who is tracking over 500 promises made by our president, he has kept 121 of his promises and 240 more are in the works. Only 22 out of the over 500 were broken, 39 compromised, and 81 are stalled. I think that accusing him of not attempting to follow through on what he promised is a little disingenuous.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
I have to say I have avoided this thread but I have to stop in and defend my President. Maybe my eyes are still closed but I happened to think Obama has done quite well under the circumstances. According to Politifacts.com, a Pulitzer prize winning, political fact checking group who is tracking over 500 promises made by our president, he has kept 121 of his promises and 240 more are in the works. Only 22 out of the over 500 were broken, 39 compromised, and 81 are stalled. I think that accusing him of not attempting to follow through on what he promised is a little disingenuous.
We can go to the Politics section if this gets too far away from the subject of the OP, but one of those Politifact promises 'kept' is Health Care Reform.

And that's a joke.

Candidate Obama promised a Public Option (in Iowa, just before the caucuses); it's what had him beat Ms. Clinton there.

President Obama withdrew the Public Option at the onset of talks- had Max Baucus arrest people who went to the hearings on Health Care with a pro- Public Option stance, despite the Public Option being the most popular remedy among the populace.

Why?

Mr. Obama is a man of corporate profits, not of people.

Last edited by Geechie North; 09-02-2010 at 11:15 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,045 times
Geechie North you have just reminded me why I was avoiding this thread in the first place!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Geechie North you have just reminded me why I was avoiding this thread in the first place!
Please feel free to list any material fact which I have mis-stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina