Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:20 AM

15 posts, read 80,588 times

Advertisements

I've been pondering doing a family tour of quaint towns in NC and SC. Specifically, I am looking for places with the small town atmosphere...a modern-day Mayberry, so to speak.

Which towns would be tops on your list, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 08:22 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,241 times
Try Aiken...........I swear I have been looking for Wally and the Beaver since I have moved here 9 years ago. We have a BEAUTIFUL Downtown area with everything from simple southern shops to a great sushi place! (I was just in Hawaii and paid big $$ for sushi and my little ol' southern town still had better!) Aiken is also a big horse community so most weekends you can find some type of horse event going on. (polo, jumping shows, etc.) The town is also built around 2000 acres of maintained woods and trails that are well marked for everyone enjoyment. You can google Hitchcock woods and download the map before your arrival. (It will also give you the history and rules for the woods) There are plenty of lovely places to stay either in the donwtown area (historical area) OR save a few bucks and stay in a chain hotel located on Whiskey road which is at most 5 minutes from downtown. You could arrive here on a Friday night, have a nice relaxing Saturday doing downtown stuff, and take a hike Sunday morning and leave after lunch. Hope this helps. (oh, and no I do not work for the City--just a girl who loves her town)

Old 05-10-2007, 09:41 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Aiken is definitely not a modern day Mayberry though.

I would recommend checking out all of the towns between Anderson, Greenwood, and Edgefield counties. There are many that I love for their old, authentic, small town southern charm. Favorites include, Abbeville, Ninety Six (just east of Greenwood), Due West, Honea Path, Williamston, and Pelzer-West Pelzer, among others.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:41 PM

36 posts, read 149,955 times
Hi SCYOGI, just bought a house in Aiken. Will be there part time, until my house sells. I have been in Aiken about 5 times, loved your city. Thats why we are moving there with our horses. Would love some more info about the city. What would you suggest for "newbies"? We are retired. Thank You

Old 05-11-2007, 02:15 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Aiken, Camden, Chester (has a pretty nice downtown)

Old 05-11-2007, 05:45 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,241 times
Any downtown dining is great. Always pop in the Art Center when you have a chance. Also check out the classes they offer. (full disclosure--I am biased because I do work there) THey offer everything from Bridge (guys are welcome in that group) pottery, to yoga. It does not take long to fall in love with this Mayberry town. (wink, wink Skyliner)

Old 05-11-2007, 09:26 AM

36 posts, read 149,955 times
Thanks SCYOGI, we will be coming up on Mon or Tues with a pick up truck loaded to the brim..lol

Old 05-11-2007, 11:30 AM

559 posts, read 2,115,525 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Aiken, Camden, Chester (has a pretty nice downtown)
So nice to see Chester in there! Chester redid the downtown area when the TV miniseries "Chiefs" was filmed there back in, I believe, 1983. Our house was actually across the street from the house used in the film as Tess Harper's house, so the crews set up in our yard. I still remember seeing Tess Harper talking on the phone in my kitchen...

Chester has had it really rough since all the Springs cotton mills closed, though. It is trying hard to reinvent itself. I was home this past Christmas, and it really looked dead. Also Chester had a fire there about that time, and one of the old historic buildings in town burned to the ground. I don't know what they will replace it with; it was on top of the "hill" too.

I would love to see someone with a great new industry come in to help the citizens recover from the loss of the cotton mills.

Billy Graham's nephew just announced that he was planning to build a new place down in the Richburg area of Chester County (I think he is calling it Montrose Plantation) that will have 3000 homes, doctors' offices, etc. It has been interesting to "watch" via my local hometown paper that I have mailed to me every week.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:56 PM

153 posts, read 715,548 times
Camden is a good one. You may also want to look at Newberry.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:17 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
In SC; Newberry, Camden, Conway, Georgetown, Beauford

In NC; Mt. Airy (the real model for Mayberry), Southern Pines, Brevard, Elizabeth City, Southport (near Wilmington)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina