U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 06:20 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,724,708 times

Advertisements

Wife loves Fred's, but if you're in love with
Mrs. Mack's chicken and red rice, then ya gotta hit the Pig on Savannah hwy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:58 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2Midlands View Post
Here in Columbia our choices are a bit different. We don't have Harris Teeter (left the market some years ago) or Lowe's. In terms of upscale/organic groceries, we have EarthFare, The Fresh Market. We have smaller local organic/natural food places like Rosewood Market in the city and 14 Carrots in Lexington. While I wish I could shop at any of these places on a regular basis, it would get too expensive quickly.

The mainstream supermarkets here are Pig, Food Lion, Kroger's, Bi-Lo, and Publix, with Publix being the most upscale (but without quite moving into Harris Teeter territory).

When we first moved here, we witnessed the opening of the first Super Bi-Lo in the whole company (it's out in Northeast Richland near our home). That quickly became our favorite place. It was the closest thing to Harris Teeter we had. They had a dry-cleaning place inside, a movie rental machine, large pharmacy, and a great produce/deli/bakery area. Excellent selection of ethnic and natural/organic foods as well.

The we started appreciating Publix more (it's also closer to home). The deceiving thing is that the store layout, while very pleasant, isn't as upscale as Harris Teeter or even the Super Bi-Lo. But a closer look, and after trying some of the unique Publix offerings, and we were sold. Their cakes are wonderful and have a great reputation. And they, HANDS DOWN, have the most awesome store brand this side of Trader Joe's. They have, for example, a wide variety of low-fat yogurts with fun, whimsical flavors like coconut creme pie and lemon chiffon. They even have an organic store brand (called Greenwise). And I've even bought Publix batteries. My only complaint, at least about our local Publix, is that their produce quality has been spotty.
I think Publix is the best in the Columbia area, very clean store, and totally agree w/their 'Publix' brand being the best private label brand this side of Trader Joe's. They offer high-quality products. I do shop at Bi-Lo some mainly b/c they are the closest to our house. Have not been all that impressed w/the Pig, they are by far the most expensive, do very little shopping there. The Kroger in NE Richland is very nice as well. Would love to see a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods come into Columbia. While EarthFare & The Fresh Market are nice stores w/organic food, expect to pay double for everything, TJ or WF would offer more of that type of food at a more reasonable price.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 AM

468 posts, read 1,098,747 times
up until a couple of months ago, we were a military family so we did most if not all of our shopping on base. we also just moved from new england and i loved STOP & SHOP. i haven't picked a clear favorite here, but we split our shopping between food lion, bi-lo and the pig. we found publix a bit pricey (as compared to the other stores in lexington.). i do wish there was a whole foods here in cola. a bit pricey, but there are some products that we like that they carry.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:10 AM

135 posts, read 328,647 times
For myself and my family, Harris Teeter by a long shot. When I was younger, my grandmother would only shop "the pig" on Meeting Street. I think I spent so much time there as a child, I resent it now, j/k.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:50 AM

549 posts, read 1,131,011 times
Earthfare, Piggly Wiggly, and Publix all have stores adjacent to my neighborhood and I most often shop at the Piggly Wiggly.

EarthFare's quality is obviously a cut above the rest but, because it is a speciality store, it is not really practical for everyday. If I want to pick up a box of Tide with my groceries I'm not going to find it at EarthFare. I guess that I could walk next door and get my detergent from the CVS pharmacy but that's a pain in the rear.

The Pig in my neighborhood is the nicest "real" grocery store in this area but I some Piggly Wigglys are the pits. The Pig also has a lot of Southern specialties that you just can't find at Florida-based Publix.

I'll go to Publix in a pinch but they aren't competitive on quality, selection, or price so what's the point? Publix does have good prepared foods which I suspect keeps them in business.

If we had Harris Teeter in Columbia I would shop there but alas they are not in this market.

Bi Lo... I really don't see the point. High prices on produce and low quality. How are they still in business?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:53 AM

549 posts, read 1,131,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I think Publix is the best in the Columbia area
I think this varies by neighborhood. You may be right about NE Richland County but here in Shandon the Pig is tops.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:59 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
I think this varies by neighborhood. You may be right about NE Richland County but here in Shandon the Pig is tops.
I will give you, the Pig in Shandon is 10 times (or at least seems to me) nicer and cleaner than the one out near us in the SE on Garners Ferry. It's amazing to me how much a store can vary from location to location, and it's not just the Pig, the Kroger in the NE or in Irmo is much nicer than the ones on Forest Dr. or St. Andrews, and the same w/Bi-Lo, I think it is much nicer near you on Devine than out near us in the SE. I guess that's why I kind of went w/Publix as the best b/c every location I've been in has always seemed very well kept, clean, and the produce seems fresh.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:28 PM

3,400 posts, read 4,947,021 times
[quote=Palmetto Heel;6322284]

I'll go to Publix in a pinch but they aren't competitive on quality, selection, or price so what's the point? Publix does have good prepared foods which I suspect keeps them in business.

quote]

How is Publix not competitive? Last I checked, the store does price comparisons every week with surrounding stores, and will tweak their prices to reflect the lowest one. Its also one of the few stores that will special order an item for a customer, and offer a no-questions refund if you arent happy with the quality of your stuff.
Grocery is the biggest department, and is what keeps Publix afloat. Deli and Bakery have high sales usually, but that can vary depending on whats going on at the time. Prepared foods are definately not what keeps them in business.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:02 AM

362 posts, read 951,625 times
When I first moved here (Aiken) a little over a year ago, I was EXCITED to see a Kroger's here and did most of my shopping there. Then I moved to the south side of Aiken and WalMart was more convenient to get to -- and besides I could purchase things other than just food.

THEN I discovered Publix and I was sold! It was the only place in town that I could find ground veal (for meat loaf). Their customer service is second to none. I requested Vernors (a ginger ale that, unless you're brought up on it, most people won't like). Every time I go into Publix, I buy more Vernors, just so they keep stocking it. They have not disappointed me yet. I do all of my grocery shopping at Publix now.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:46 PM

7,001 posts, read 14,584,358 times
I live in northeast Tennessee and we do not have any of those. I think we may have an Earth Fare about 25 miles from here.

However, my aunt that lives in Anderson SC often shops @ Publix. They have two there I think. I went in one a few times during our visit and found it pleasant and clean.

Up here, we have Food City (local chain in the region), Krogers, Food Lion, Whites Fresh Foods, Save-a-lot and Ingalls. I think we may have a Winn-Dixie or two, but I think most of them have went under- maybe even those last two I remember, as "http://www.foodcity.com/ " (FOOD CITY) has about finally took over the market up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina