U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 8 days ago)

21,919 posts, read 38,841,671 times
Default South Carolina ranks 6th in most religious state

The study ranks states that people on how important religion in ther lives

Pew Forum: How Religious Is Your State? (http://pewforum.org/docs/?DocID=504 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 PM

7,106 posts, read 5,438,492 times
Thank God it's not number one. Why does Boston have to be so cold?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Status: "SC - Protecting the world from equality." (set 7 days ago)

1,822 posts, read 2,450,046 times
Quote:
Thank God it's not number one...
LOL! Bless you, my child

Old 12-30-2009, 08:12 AM

2,345 posts, read 2,554,929 times
Just curious -- does your distaste for the "religious" include the liberal left? An example would be the new Bishop Lawrence of the Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina -- very liberal.

Everyone immediately assumes "religious" means the right but there are equally passionate "religious" on the left.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:50 AM

I just get tired of people talking about religion all the time. Look at the most religious state: Mississippi - it's also the fattest. Did they forget the verse about gluttony? Massachusetts and Vermont are among the least religious and they are also the some of the healthiest and best educated Americans.

I'm happy about the new bishop. It gives me an option for finding a church without being a hypocrite, since I'm a man's man.

The most religious places have a larger percentage of people who think they have a monopoly on how to worship and on what parts of the Bible are to be taken literally.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Status: "SC - Protecting the world from equality." (set 7 days ago)

1,822 posts, read 2,450,046 times
Quote:
Just curious -- does your distaste for the "religious" include the liberal left?
Just curious -- does *everything* in your life get twisted into a liberal vs. conservative argument? That must be a terribly boring view of this world.

To answer your question, my "distaste" goes back to being raised Southern Baptist and the decades it has taken to recover.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 AM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 12,036,196 times
Wouldn't you love to see this chart compared to the happiness chart or list of states? I think people who believe in God are more happy and secure than those who do not. Religion covers more than Christian, but hopefully that chart means mostly Christian.

Mississippi used to be the only state ranked below North Carolina in education and our teachers used to say, "Thank God for Mississippi." Now we have another reason to "Thank God for Mississippi." That state just went up in my opinion of the importance of a state. Must be a lot of really good people living there. Congratulations Mississippi! You just won the poll on the most important aspect of life. For what doeth it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his soul?

Last edited by NCN; 12-30-2009 at 10:09 AM..

Old 12-30-2009, 10:09 AM

7,993 posts, read 6,781,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Wouldn't you love to see this chart compared to the happiness chart or list of states? I think people who believe in God are more happy and secure than those who do not. Religion covers more than Christian, but hopefully that chart means mostly Christian.
Check this link out. Most of the happy states are the religious states.

Happiest U.S. States Pinned Down | LiveScience

With some others above dissing religion, I must say I think religion is a great thing. This most religious state thing doesn't say the most Baptist state. It says most religious.....that could be Christian, Jew, Buddhist, etc, etc. As a gay man, I don't want people to be against me for my sexuality, so how can I be against people for their religion? Live and let live!

Most religions preach harmony, peace and tend to believe in helping others. In todays world, seems we need more of that, not less.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:17 AM

5,409 posts, read 9,177,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Sadly, despite a few added benefits to our society (like the protection of freedom to openly worship God as you wish), today's popular "Christian" culture is far from representative of truly biblical Christianity. Of course, perversion of truth is to be expected, as Christ himself clearly stated.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:56 PM

I'm just tired of the subject of religion. I belong to the fastest-growing religious group of Americans: none of the above - the kind who like to keep their spiritual beliefs personal and who don't care to hear about others' beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina