U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-02-2010, 08:00 AM

77 posts, read 13,021 times

Advertisements

Home Depot - 8 a.m.Lowe's - 8 a.m.Aiken Mall - noon (effective Sept. 20)Books-A-Million - 10 a.m.Kmart - 8 a.m.Staples - 10 a.m.Sherwin-Williams - 10 a.m. (effective Oct. 4)Ross - 11 a.m.Advance Auto Parts - 9 a.m.Target - 8 a.m.T.J. Maxx - 11 a.m.PetSmart - 10 a.m.
Sunday hours expand with end to blue laws | Aiken Standard | Aiken, SC (http://www.aikenstandard.com/Local/0913Blue - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 AM

948 posts, read 817,612 times
You have received some good and bad advice in this thread.

The bad is that employment issues are here, just like anywhere else in the Nation- but South Carolina suffering worse than most. However, jobs are still available to some extent- but being underemployed may come along with that.

As far as racism goes, I never read anything in the paper or see anything with my own eyes- and I frequent the downtown area and spots a lot. I will say that while I don't think it is intentional, the younger AA crowd doesn't mix as well with the other younger 20's in the town for some reason. I only say this because I frequent the nightlife quite a bit and I know there are AA in their 20s than I see out. Maybe they have their "own" place to hang out or the places I go downtown just isn't their cup of tea. However, I don't feel racism is a problem. I see mature AA couples dining downtown quite a bit and Pat's Martini Bar is very mixed on a night with a Jazz band.

Aiken is a very nice place to live. I haven't traveled the US- but I just can't imagine lots of places like it. It isn't so small where everyone knows your business and there is nothing to do...but it isn't so large where overcrowding, crime, and filth is an issue. The city is very clean and has some nice places to dine, drink, and shop. Most cities this size don't have a centralized area where all of this is combined- especially one as nice as Aiken's.

However, I am going to be moving soon. It really has nothing to do with Aiken- I just want to live near the coast a bit more where fishing and boating is easier. I grew up near Aiken and have lived here for the past 3 years, so I guess I am also "tired" of it. One day I could see myself here again though.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,330 times
Smile Lived here for a few months now

Hello! I am African American and my husband and I moved here from Raleigh, NC. My husband just got a job at SRS as a scientist and I am a graduate student (online) and a stay at home mom (we are expecting our 2nd child in July) ...I must say that I very much enjoy it! I grew up in the South (Savannah) so there is NO culture shock for me and my husband (Atlanta). My daughter goes to a private school and loves it. We currently live "in the valley" as they say here in Aiken. We love our location because it puts us close to I-20 (2.5 hours from Atlanta and Savannah). Though we live in apartments, it is what we need right now. It is quite spacious. We are in the process of selling our old house (1000 sq ft) and our apartment has more space than it (1300 sq ft).

What we love about the area? We are right off the Aiken/Augusta Hwy so going to Augusta is a breeze. We have black friends and white friends. We have been welcomed here and thoroughly love it..I must definitely commend the YMCA of Aiken for being such a great place to meet people. We do not go to church but as others have mentioned be prepared for that to be the number one topic. Though we don't go to church that is not a hindrance and we don't feel excluded. For schools I would say choose Aiken Elementary or Chukker Creek Elementary. Once my daughter gets older and private school is no longer affordable my daughter will be going to one of these. SC has the law as long as you can get your child to the school it doesn't matter where they go. The elementary schools around here are superb but dramatically decline once they hit middle and high school

If you need more information please feel free to email. I hope you and your family choose Aiken to live.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,710 times
cmarie,
My husband and I are moving to Aiken for retirement. We visited in June 2009 and had a great time. He was surprised at how much he liked it there. We didn't experience any racism there. We've actually experienced more racism in California than South Carolina! We're looking forward to our move. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina