Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:46 AM

56 posts, read 392,074 times

Advertisements

This forum is great! You guys are so great in answering questions for everyone. I have a couple of questions of my own. I hope someone can help.
I have a husband and two boys 4 and 10. We visit Myrtle beach every year for the last 4 years. We love it there so much, that this year we decided once and for all we are leaving MD and moving to SC. But we dont want to be too close to the ocean or the action.
We have a friend who is going to let us stay in their family home in Summerton until we decide where we want to live. My questions are where can we find country living close to a big city? We want the same things as everyone else, good schools, sports for the boys, quiet, safe and family oriented area? We need to be close to jobs I am in the childcare and healthcare field and my husband is in the property management, with armed guard experience. Is Summerton a good place to stay for a couple of months?
I'm sorry for all of the questions but you guys are so good at answering all questions and relocating is very hard.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 09:19 AM

268 posts, read 1,106,636 times
Default also moving from MD to SC

Hi there

My family is also moving from MD to SC. We have decided to build in Rock Hill. It's close to the Charlotte but not too big. I would probably compare it to a smaller Frederick, MD. The only difference is that you don't have the Maryland prices, traffic, rudeness, etc...

So far that I have seen (I have been there quite of few times during the process), people are so much nicer. I definately feel the difference in stress level.

Good luck with your move and if you would like any more information you certainly can PM me.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:06 AM

Thanks for your reply. I will be making a couple of trips to SC this summer as well, unfortunately I will only be looking not building.
Good luck to you also with your move.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 16,988 times
I'm a realtor in the Charleston, SC area. It's beautiful and has the award winning Dorchester District II School system. You could find what you're looking for in the Summerville, SC area.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:15 AM

48 posts, read 212,263 times
All us northerners moving South.....amazing...We bought a lot in Aiken and are in the process of building. The house is about half done. Aiken is so charming and just perfect, because it's far enough away from the coast that I'm not worried about hurricanes.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:24 AM

51 posts, read 238,550 times
How about Rock Hill/Fort Mill, like another poster mentioned. Last time I saw those areas they appeared to be exploding, especially FM. Rock Hill is a nice size but isn't too far from Charlotte for 'extra' events, more shopping, etc. Both areas are really nice.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:42 AM

Thanks soo much your reply was very helpful. Charleston, SC is on our list of places to visit this summer.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:58 PM

5,541 posts, read 15,313,819 times
Without knowing exactly where you are interested in living within the state, I can recommend checking out the larger cities here. The "Big 3," as we affectionately call them, include; Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville. Each of these has great advantages that differ quite a bit from each other. The main natural attractions are as follows; Charleston has the ocean, Columbia has the larger rivers, and Greenville has the mountains and waterfalls (my favorite). Each city is at the center of a rapidly growing metro area where you can find all of the amenities you want.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:56 AM

9 posts, read 45,434 times
I'm moving to Columbia this summer. The Irmo-Harbison area is extremely family oriented with tons of kids sports & family activities. Nice houses at afforable prices & the low crime rate is a plus. There are lots of outdoor activities, state parks & a huge lake called lake murray close by. All the good shopping is on harbison with malls & outlets. If you want a taste of the city (Columbia)it's a 20 to 30 minute drive depending on time of day. There are large medical facilities for employeement opportunities. If you look on Realtor.com under zip code 29212 you'll get a good idea of home values. You can also look up Irmo, Harbison State Park, Saluda Shoals Park to see the activities. Some neighborhoods have private community pools, tennis courts & rec centers for
about $250.00 per household per year but there is also a YMCA & rec centers
for the area at large. My sons are grown now but if they were still young I would definitely move there. It's a good healthy place to raise a family & everyone I met was friendly & welcoming & would be glad to help you find your way around. I didn't even have to ask - people offer to help if they see you're new. Myrtle Beach is about an hour & 20 minutes from there. Hope this helps & good luck!
Margaret Bangs

Old 05-25-2007, 12:53 PM

251 posts, read 1,125,557 times
Yikes---Summerton, SC!!!!? Please don't expect that area to give you any idea of what most of SC is like. Summerton is about the poorest town in the poorest part of the state. It is the area that gives SC a bad name. Third world economically and socially and very poor schools. 1950's race relations, etc. Locals have been fleeing there for generations. Find somewhere else to explore SC from...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina