U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:53 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,587,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
mica--When I read your question I immediately thought of an interesting South Carolina quirk--the Oyotunji African Village. It's supposedly its own nation within S.C. and they practice some form of what would be known as voodoo religion I guess. It's in Sheldon in Beaufort County. They even have their own website:
official website of Oyotunji African Village and Orisa-Vodou Spiritual Lineage

I remember learning about it years ago in the "Roadside America" book. I think it's even open to the public. Kingdom of Oyotunji African Village, Sheldon, South Carolina

Maybe it's what you are referring to--it looks like it was written up in the Washington Post a few years ago and the "King" of the village was on Oprah or something.
South Carolina Voodoo Sect. - The BN Village (http://www.bnvillage.co.uk/news-politics-village/99564-south-carolina-voodoo-sect.html - broken link)

Then again, maybe you are referring to Frogmore. I know Frogmore from "Frogmore Stew" as well, and I thought I remembered hearing that it was really the name of a former town on St. Helena Island that does not really exist anymore. Plus I googled frogmore south carolina voodoo and found several anecdotal mentions of voodoo there on chat boards like this and such.
Yeah, but that's just the imported stuff- the Johnny-Come-Latelies.

Homegrown variant is called Kunjah (or perhaps with a 'c', as in Cunjah.). It was practiced extensively on Johns Island (and other islands) as later as the 1960's- of that I can attest.
Many nights I was lullabied to sleep by the sounds of the drums drifting across the marsh, across the Stono River.

Dr. Buzzard was the chief "Root Doctor" in those days; practiced out of Beaufort. Which is why if someone said, "I'm goin' to Beaufort on your a**", people got scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 PM

18 posts, read 36,190 times
About 14 years ago, I visited the grave of Revolutionary War Patriot and Guerilla warfare general Francis Marion. His grave is a mausoleum above ground. On the edifice was a fresh sweet potato, with intricate designs carved into the potato. That is root magic: someone was seeking a blessing or a curse and intending to invoke the powerful spirit of this successful powerful patriot. Very interesting stuff.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:50 AM

4,465 posts, read 4,587,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdvincit View Post
About 14 years ago, I visited the grave of Revolutionary War Patriot and Guerilla warfare general Francis Marion. His grave is a mausoleum above ground. On the edifice was a fresh sweet potato, with intricate designs carved into the potato. That is root magic: someone was seeking a blessing or a curse and intending to invoke the powerful spirit of this successful powerful patriot. Very interesting stuff.
Many older houses (allover, but esp in the Awendaw area) are painted a dark blue- "Egypt Blue" they called it.

That was to ward off the evil eye.

Didn't work as well as spoofy dust did- that according to the old folks.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,555 times
Default voodoo in sc

the name of the place ur thinking about was frog island right over the bridge out of downtown beaufort. we were stationed there at the time u are referring to. there also was tell of a witchdoctor being killed. also ppl were warned not to cross the bridge after dark.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,852 times
do any one know of a voodoo worker in st. helena

Old 09-07-2012, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,852 times
Default looking for voodoo

do anyone know where find a vooder worker in frogmore town

Old 09-18-2012, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,379 times
I would like to know if there is a voodoo worker currently on st.Helena Island or Frogmore also.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,359 times
This is a Yoruban Village, not Voodun Village.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,955 times
It was Frogmore. I went to Parris Island in 1990. There was a recruit in my platoon who was from the place. He used to tell me some very scary and freaky stories about the place. And yes voodoo was practiced heavily there. I always told myself I would travel there and check out the place. But wisdom showed up a little later and convinced me that I should leave it alone.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,359,734 times
It was the mid-80's after all and the only things scarier than child abduction back then were satan worshipers. The dangers of heavy metal music were being preached from every pulpit and every dead cat found on the side of the road was thought to be the work of devil worshipers doing animal sacrifices. It makes sense that this would take a voodoo slant in the Lowcountry.

Does no one else of a certain vintage remember?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina