Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:10 AM

126 posts, read 381,704 times

Advertisements

Back around the mid 80's there was a town that had a big scandal regarding voodoo. They might have been doing animal or human sacrifices or something, I don't remember the details. Anyway, due to the scandal the town changed their name.

Can someone tell me what the town was/is called. I believe it was somewhere in the Beaufort area(?) I want to say Frogmore but google yielded no results regarding name change, plenty of voodoo stuff though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,774 times
Frogmore Stew perhaps but I think this sounds more like a urban legend.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:39 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyogi View Post
Frogmore Stew perhaps but I think this sounds more like a urban legend.
We love Frogmore Stew ... but you must use Old Bay Seasoning!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:23 PM

899 posts, read 2,287,689 times
mica--When I read your question I immediately thought of an interesting South Carolina quirk--the Oyotunji African Village. It's supposedly its own nation within S.C. and they practice some form of what would be known as voodoo religion I guess. It's in Sheldon in Beaufort County. They even have their own website:
official website of Oyotunji African Village and Orisa-Vodou Spiritual Lineage

I remember learning about it years ago in the "Roadside America" book. I think it's even open to the public. Kingdom of Oyotunji African Village, Sheldon, South Carolina

Maybe it's what you are referring to--it looks like it was written up in the Washington Post a few years ago and the "King" of the village was on Oprah or something.
South Carolina Voodoo Sect. - The BN Village (http://www.bnvillage.co.uk/news-politics-village/99564-south-carolina-voodoo-sect.html - broken link)

Then again, maybe you are referring to Frogmore. I know Frogmore from "Frogmore Stew" as well, and I thought I remembered hearing that it was really the name of a former town on St. Helena Island that does not really exist anymore. Plus I googled frogmore south carolina voodoo and found several anecdotal mentions of voodoo there on chat boards like this and such.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:33 PM

I'm pretty sure I am not hallucinating this. I was stationed down there around the time and I am sure I read it in the newspaper.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:26 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mica View Post
I'm pretty sure I am not hallucinating this. I was stationed down there around the time and I am sure I read it in the newspaper.
Parris Island?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:10 AM

yeah, I was there in 87-88. I was there in 82 also but I wasn't allowed to read a newspaper that time.

I had 'heard' about it but never really paid much attention to the 'story'. Then some time before I moved away I read about it and for some reason all these years later it is bugging me to remember where it was. ugh.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 14,920 times
Frogmore was St Helena, St Helena's original name. Hoodoo was supressed there by the local "white" residents. The town changed its name when the federal government instituted zip codes, because frogmore was always associated with the hoodoo practices of the gullah people, so they changed it to get away from the stigma. You can still find frog statues around St. Helena. Hope that helps.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Default Of course there's voodoo in South Carolina!

How else do you explain Alvin Greene?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:49 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
How else do you explain Alvin Greene?
Voter machine manipulation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina