Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 03:32 PM

75 posts, read 183,877 times

Advertisements

I currently live in MI and have a job offer in Charleston. We went down to visit 2 weeks ago and found the area very run down, a bit scary and very few homes with pools. The realtor said pools are not common in the area and that we were looking in Ladson, where the job is, and that area is a bit run down.

I had a job offer a few years ago in Columbia but I turned it down. I loved the area, homes were good price, lots of pools and an amazing realtor who made it feel like home.

Now I have to decide if I should take the Charleston job or turn it down and seek one in Columbia. I don't mind driving about 40 miles or so but I want some land. I hate cookie cutter homes in sub divisions. I want an inground pool as well.

Thoughts on the 2 areas? Thoughts on where we should be looking and better yet where we should avoid?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 03:45 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,440,060 times
I don't know much about Ladson but Columbia has some beautiful areas. Why worry about whether a house has a pool. Find the house you like and put in a pool.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 7,299 times
More info would help. Is the job in Ladson? Charleston? North Charleston? I have live in Summerville most of my life. Ladson doesn't offer much its not really a town/city just an area. Are you looking for a nice subdivision with large lots? Or acres of land?

Old 01-18-2010, 06:54 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,151 times
Donna,
I love your post.
Very few pools.
I really need that laugh! Thank you.
You will find what you want. I would lean towards Columbia, but that is just me.
You will find a beautiful home with a pool and enjoy it this summer.
LOL!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,120 times
As another poster said, why not buy the house you really like and add a pool whenever you can? Honestly, even if you can't afford a pool straight away, you will survive without it! There are plenty of beaches in the area, OK it's not the same but it can do the trick for a while!
Good luck in finding your new place!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,009 times
Ladson isn't the nicest area. There are better areas. I would check out Summerville, some of North Charleston. What is your price range? Pools are not in as many yards here. Most neighborhoods have a community pool or you could add one later (as mentioned).
Have your Realtor show you/tour you through other areas. They should of done that during your last visit. I always tour my clients around the areas. Even if your job is in Ladson nothing is more than 30 minutes commute in our tri-copunty area.

Columbia is nice but there are bad areas there too. Make sure you find a Realtor that knows the area.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 AM

540 posts, read 1,678,393 times
Pools aren't as prevalent down here as they are up north. I was kind of surprised as well. Many of the areas, however, have community pools if you're lucky enough to find a home for sale there. Also, since we are close to the ocean, people just go there instead.

I wouldn't worry about a pool at this point since there are many optional ways to cool off during the summer. Like I said, you can look for a home in a neighborhood that has a community one, if you so desire. Then you won't have to worry about the higher home owner's insurance, either!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 AM

548 posts, read 1,979,530 times
Look in surrounding areas if the job is in Ladson, try Summerville, Goosecreek, North Charleston area off Dorchester Rd in the Wescott Plantation area. Travel won't be an issue if your coming from the Westcott Plantation area to Ladson because you'll be going against traffic up Dorchester Rd. There are pools if you look hard enough or subdivisions with community pools which many prefer because they don't have to upkeep. Even if not, you can always have one put in if that is your desire. If your looking for less cookie cutter look in Summerville and ask a realtor to show you houses not in subdivisions.

I don't know why people are telling you to look in Columbia, that's no where near Ladson where the job is.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:27 AM

367 posts, read 959,619 times
OP,
In your place I'd concentrate on finding a nice house in a good area with the potential for installing your own pool. Otherwise you may be restricting yourself unnecessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina