U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2010, 05:42 PM

17 posts, read 28,326 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on where to live in SC that is horse friendly. Would like to be approx 1.5 hours or less to a major airport and near good riding trails. I am so confused on where I want to relocate.Thanks for any input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 05:47 PM

615 posts, read 1,027,881 times
When you say major airport, Charlotte comes to mind. I know that it is in NC but it is right on the border. I am 20 minutes from the Charlotte airport and live in SC myself. Other airports are Charleston, Greenville, and Columbia but while they are considered "International" airports, you are extremely limited in flights and would likely have to connect through Charlotte or Atlanta anyway. This area has a ton of horse folk and there are quite a few local parks and even more options if you are willing to trailer 1-2 hours away.

I have two horses so if you would like any more information, feel free to contact me.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:32 PM

748 posts, read 1,211,999 times
There are three places in SC that I can think of that are known as "horse towns":
Aiken
Camden
Landrum (along with bordering Tryon, NC)

The whole horse/equestrian thing is a part of the atmosphere/environment of all three towns. Aiken is the largest of the three. I would start your research by looking at each. All would be within 1.5 hours of a major airport.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 PM

282 posts, read 492,226 times
Camden is a wonderful town! I lived there as a teenager and loved it. It is the oldest inland town in South Carolina (Charleston is the oldest on the coast!).

Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 AM

9,751 posts, read 4,394,024 times
As it has been said above, Aiken is a horse city.
The nearest airport would be Augusta, which is not a big airport but has flights going to Atlanta and Charlotte. Columbia is about an hour away (max) and has flights going to several US cities.
The drive to Charlotte airport takes less than 3 hours from Aiken and is a very easy drive.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 AM

582 posts, read 1,817,890 times
Aiken has an amazing horse community. Everything from polo, carriage, english riding, fox hunts, etc. Hitchcock Woods is a 1200 acre preserve dedicated for horses/trail riding/fox hunt. No Rv, hunting, biking allowed.
The Hitchcock Woods | Aiken, SC
The Aiken Polo Experience!
Aiken Steeplechase
Lots of beautiful farms....everything from super chic to good old basics,

Old 01-23-2010, 11:42 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,417,261 times
Aiken, South Carolina.
Come on down and see.
Seeing is believing!
Be sure to check out Hichcock Woods while your here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina