Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 05:52 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times

Advertisements

I laughed a bunch at all these posts, thank you to the life long South Carolinians who posted them.
I love this type of education in "real" culture. You don't learn this in books, and many of my neighbors whether Southern or not, don't really talk with the "slang" expressions given as examples here.

Funny thing is? Many of your slang words and or phrases are used as well in Southern Ohio.
I'm from Northern Ohio, and that state has 2 distinct dialects.

One thing I have a question about? My husband was born and raised in Charlotte NC. His mother's people were originally from SC (maybe 2 or 3 generations back) then to Rockingham NC, then to Charlotte. She has what I call the old Southern belle drawl. Puts me in mind of Atlanta, Charleston, etc. No twang, but the musical lilt of a real lady like drawl. I simply love it. Her husband however was born and raised in Ohio but lived a majority of his life in Charlotte.

They had 5 children. The first was my husband. This man spoke without any southern dilect whatsoever...except once I heard him say "I'm fixing to go to the store". I'm not sure if he made it a point not to speak with a drawl, or slang or not...I really never thought to ask him about it.

He had no accent, no slang. Yet his 2 sisters have the old Southern Belle drawl, but no slang.
Then we have his brother Chris....Chris is a "good ol boy" and I mean twang till I can not understand him, it does not remind me of a Southern drawl, but rather like someone from a mountain community or something. The youngest brother has what I think is just a normal southern accent, not as beautiful as my mother in laws or my sisters in laws.

How can parents of 5 children end up having kids that all speak differently, yet were raised in the same household, with the same parents, in the same city and state all their lives?

Me personally? I think Chris puts it on, as in fakes it. But now he's done it so long, he just talks that way all the time.

The more I live down here, the less I hear of that drawl like my mother in law has. A real shame. She is 90.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 02:41 AM

214 posts, read 872,011 times
well south carolina folks better get used to sum bay area slang "yada mean"

Old 08-15-2009, 11:58 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebreezy View Post
well south carolina folks better get used to sum bay area slang "yada mean"

Bring it on...we'll learn 'ya.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:32 PM

214 posts, read 872,011 times
on the real tho.....i'll be one the tryin to pick up the slang out there, but it's all gd

Old 08-16-2009, 11:10 AM

642 posts, read 1,170,570 times
My son lives just inside NC and we will be moving to the Fort Mill area in a couple (should I say coupla) years.

I just got back from the area after some house hunting on Wednesday last week. I just love the SC manner of speech. I am trying hard to mimic it but my daughter-in-law keeps telling me to shut up.

I fully intend to be fluent in SC dialect and speech ya'll, ya'll.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:37 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Default This is not the beginning of a Jeff Foxworthy joke but

what is the difference between the term a "good ole boy" and a "red-neck"? The comparisions that I have heard is that one classification has more money or is more refined or "edgacated" , and/or politically astute than the other but by enlarge.. a "good ole boy" can be a "red neck" but a "red neck" cannot be a ''good ol boy" ? I guess its based on how you wuz reard

Old 08-17-2009, 08:21 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,999,750 times
Both are Upcountry terms, and are more or less the same.

In the original usage, "redneck" was a farmer- neck bering red from working in the sun.

Never heard either term growing up in the Lowcountry, where "buckra", and "po buckra" were the norms.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:16 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I
Seems like at least where she is located in SC, they call what we call a water hose or a garden hose, a "hose pipe".
Born and raised here in SC ... when my husband was in the Army ... we had a heck of time at Ft. Carson, Colorado trying to buy a "hose pipe."

A friend in Wisconsin still doesn't understand when "I am fixin' to go to the store ... or fixin' to cook supper ....

And if one plans on fishing and needs bait ... don't forget to buy some minners (minnows).

Old 08-18-2009, 05:12 PM

119 posts, read 344,759 times
Taters - Potatoes
Dey - Used on the end of days of the week, example, Mondey lol that is how my friend says it, sounds like Mondeee I don;t say it but I think it's funny!
Dey can also be used instead of they
Ya'll ain't and cain't are important too, meaning you all, are/is/will/am/etc... not, and cannot
Yes a shopping cart is a buggy
A toilet is a commode
A trash can is a hurby curby
We do NOT say pop for soda, you will get look at funny
Grits are a yummy food, you should try it
When you go somewhere and order a tea, know that it will be SWEET, the only way to have it!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:00 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Both are Upcountry terms, and are more or less the same.

In the original usage, "redneck" was a farmer- neck bering red from working in the sun.

Never heard either term growing up in the Lowcountry, where "buckra", and "po buckra" were the norms.

Ok.. how about this very bad analogy from the Dukes of Hazzard... Boss Hogg is a "good ol boy" and the Dukes and Cooter are "red necks"? Boss could slip on overalls and yuck it up with the fellas at the Boar's Nest OR he could go to Hotlanta and sit down with the Guvna in his white suit for a photo op. He is a politician and a little monied which he likely made at the expense of his bretheren. Cooter could go to Hotlanta to meet with the Gov but he would be noticably uncomfortable in a suit and may have a problem talking polaticks. Plus he doesnt have a white caddy. This does not mean that all "good ole boys" are corrupt.. but just a little slick..all "rednecks" shouldnt be considered unwitty or not smart.. take Luke Duke for example

Last edited by Woodlands; 08-19-2009 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina