Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2006, 02:30 PM

7 posts, read 25,400 times

Advertisements

Hello again! I am just starting my research on SC, so please offer any advice - I would love to hear from everyone. Something I am really curious about ... we live in Michigan, but were transferred here from the south. I have had a very difficult time with the overall "unfriendly" Michigan way. The people are horribly miserable (possibly the winters!), and I literally hate it here. When we go back south to visit, the difference in friendliness is so unbelievably obvious - from the minute the plane lands! I have always assumed that SC and NC were super friendly (have only visited Myrtle Beach a few times), but my concern is over something that I have read on the boards here, which is that so many northerners are/have moved to SC and NC, that these areas are not as "friendly" as possibly they once were. Please someone tell me this is not true. Also, I need to say that I completely realize there really are nice, happy people here in Michigan. We just have had horrible luck with this subject, and it has been suggested that the county we live in may be part of the problem. Coming from the friendly south, it makes it very difficult as we are the "minority" here because we are friendly people! Attitudes and happiness affect all aspects of our daily lives - i.e. the teachers at school, the local shop owners, the simple every day things we do in life suddenly become depressing because no one around you is happy!

Also, I wanted to ask about how SC/NC people are on welcoming newcomers. Sometimes that can be a problem (like in Texas, often times they really don't like the "Yankees"!).

We are being transferred, but do not have an exact location yet. SC, NC and Texas are the current options. I appreciate any advice/suggestions you can offer. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 05:56 PM

80 posts, read 562,553 times
We lived in Spartanburg, SC coming from MN. We did get called Yankee some, but not too much. I would say after living in MN, IN, SC and now WI, outside of MN which is our native state, SC would be the most friendly. My kids made the most friends there and did not want to leave when my husband was laid off there. My 13 year old constantly talks about going back. My oldest son who is the biggest introvert got involved in ROTC in his high school. What a difference! The kids in that program were so polite and so friendly, and he made so many friends there. He got very involved in the after school clubs and even helped plan and attended the military ball. We lived close to the border of NC there, and we drove up to the Tryon/Columbus, NC area a lot. People were super friendly there. Every time I took my kids to the parks around there, people talked to me, some gave me their phone numbers and asked to get together again some time. Compared to where we live now (Fond du Lac, WI ), people in SC/NC were really friendly.

With the Michigan thing, we lived in the Elkhart/South Bend area which is right on the border of Indiana/Michigan, and we went up to Michigan every once in a while, and we weren't too crazy about it either. Of course, visiting isn't the same as living there, but the people we ran into there didn't seem too friendly to us, either.

I totally hear you about how the attitudes and happiness affect everything in your daily life. That's what I've been trying to tell the Fond du Lac natives in the Wisconsin forum. I feel the same way there. If people aren't happy and act unfriendly, it makes it miserable to live there.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:23 PM

7 posts, read 25,400 times
Thanks for your input on SC. It's also nice to know that other people understand how I feel. Not ONE single day goes by that we do not encounter negative, mean, rude people! I'm just so ready to be out of here! I was out around town today for no more than 1-1/2 hours max, and I couldn't even begin to describe all the miserable, negative encounters! From the drugstore personnel to the KFC drive-thru lane! I'm convinced they really do not know just how rude they are! There is no way they could, and be proud of it. Well, at least I hope not anyway! Sorry to hear you hate Fond du Lac. I hope you find some happiness! Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina