U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:10 PM

177 posts, read 542,744 times
You are not going to escape Florida's heat and humidity by moving to SC. On the coast, the humidity is just as bad. Inland, it is a little drier (like Orlando) but at least equally hot, and often hotter, than coastal SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 01:59 PM

313 posts, read 310,933 times
My advice is Lake Norman. Its a huge lake and the one plus is no alligators. You will be close to Charlotte and you don't have to worry about alligators.

Now, some people will tell you, alligators don't bother humans and such, and there is some truth to that. However, why take the chance?

I live in a condo on Lake Norman and its a nice lake with pretty much anything you want for waterfront property.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:55 PM

8,190 posts, read 5,704,403 times
North Augusta is on the Savannah River, so that might be an option for you as well. You also have Lake Wylie that straddles the NC/SC state line. But I'm partial to Lake Marion myself.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:51 AM

180 posts, read 208,633 times
first, let me address the fl. gulf coast. From naples to sarasota, it is a ghost town. ask yourself why so many have left? Do you know Lee county Fl. ( ft Myers, and Cape Coral) is the hardest hit in the country ? There has to be a reason. You can't believe it down there. I lived in a subdivision in the Cape with about 300 homes. going for about 184K when I sold in 2005( yep, I got out just in time). Our property taxes increased from just under 3K to just over 5K IN ONE YEAR! and our home owners insurance, on a up to code home off water was 1,262.00 a year.
The gov is as corrupt as it can be, but not alot of smarts there either. Example, Cape Coral elected a mayor that owns over a couple million bucks of real estate before it got really bad, and when it did get worse, his company ( he's an estate attorney), started buying up property right and left. No accusations...I'm just saying. as of 2 yrs ago, Port Charlotte seems to be doing better with a jog around Tampa. But again, make sure you check on flood insurance, home owners insurance, hurricane insurance, and property taxes. The heat and humidity didn't bother me. But from Apr. until Nov you will have the A/C on, and it will be 90-100 degrees with 90 -100% humidity.

I too am looking for info on Lake Wylie. I have questions myself. We looked at keowee and Jocasse. I would love to live on Jocosse, and you can if you have 800,000 bucks to spend because that's where they start on that lake. Keowee and the other one mentioned have nuclear power plants on them. I thought, ok, no biggy. Then we stayed at a bed and Breakfast in Salem SC and pinned on the wall was the nuclear accident evacuation map. That did it for me, LOL. Plus, if I need radiation tx, I'll get it from the hosp, and not from my dinner. Then my husband started with the glow in the dark grandkids jokes and we left in the morning, and headed for home.
I thought it was no big deal until I was confronted with reality. having said that, many many people live there in beautiful homes. So I think it's just personal preference. Another thing, there are clinics for domestic abuse in every other strip mall, this always goes hand in hand with poverty, and we are talking Appalachian poor. It's generational, and thats hard to break, for many reasons. I thought it would be very hard to see that every day. It's pretty heartbreaking.
this whole area of NC and SC is beautiful, from west of Charlotte to it's GA boarder. the main highway that direction, 85, is a nightmare anytime I have driven in it. ( We take it to get to my ( daughter in GA.) we have driven on it at 4 am and it's been pretty bad. The traffic around Charlotte is horrible. Picture Chicago , but without good drivers. Sorry folks, no offence.
I have lived and traveled all over in my years, and Charlotte is a classic example of a city that grew to fast for the infrastructure to catch up. BUT, the outlying cities and towns are lovely and as southern charming as a postcard. and the best part of the area...the people!

Old 04-24-2010, 02:17 PM

180 posts, read 208,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBenn85 View Post
You are not going to escape Florida's heat and humidity by moving to SC. On the coast, the humidity is just as bad. Inland, it is a little drier (like Orlando) but at least equally hot, and often hotter, than coastal SC.
all of Fl is humid, way humid and Orlando is worse than on the coast because it has NO breeze. I lived in Fl for 20 some years and anyone who can stays away from the middle of the state in the spring , summer , and fall. This is why you will no Fl. residents at disney in the summer, we know better. LOL. plus alot of the summer visiotors are from europe and South
America , they don't use deorderant. Stand in line with that in 96% weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina