U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:33 AM

17 posts, read 96,477 times
Cool Wackenhut Security

Has anyone or does anyone in the Aiken/Augusta areas work for Wackenhut at the DOE-SRS? I need the truth about working there as a special response team employee (Police III or something like that). My husband has been offered employment there and I absolutely do not want to move there. Nothing against those who do, but I just am very happy in my home state and with my current job, etc. and do not want to relocate. He is convinced that this is such a great job opportunity (he's getting out of the Marine Corps) and I am not convinced. I need any advice about this at all --the good, the bad, and the ugly of working and living in the area. We'd apparently have to live in Augusta, b/c there's just no where to rent in Aiken that we can afford with only one income initially and we want at least a townhouse, so we have been limited in selection. It seems like it may be at least 30-40 min. drive from West Augusta to New Ellenton based on mapquest. Is it that far? I've already read the posts of crime in Augusta, although it was nice when we visited. I liked the riverfront, but it's so desolate and I hear that's because of crime. I hope that it's not as bad as people say. People say we have crime here, but I've never encountered any problems. I know you can't believe everything you read. OK..someone please give us some scoop on Wackenhut..fast, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 08:10 AM

401 posts, read 451,344 times
While some may like Augusta I would not live there. City Gov is in constant disarray. A good city gov. is almost NEVER in the news theirs almost always is.
You might want to look at houses a little nearer New Ellenton. While the Augusta side of the river is more exciting, I believe Aiken County has a lower crime rate, and more stable local governments.
Augusta is quite a distance away from New Ellenton, but I haven't been there in quite a while but a 40 minute drive sounds about right.
I can't say much about Wackenhut, It is almost never in the news. But from what I hear the people who work for Wackenhut are almost always board
you could be very confident of your husband coming home at night.

I live in New Ellenton.

Last edited by wzippler; 06-02-2007 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: I forgot to put where I live.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:11 AM

We have tried to locate rental homes in the vicinity, but haven't had any luck. I've only found maybe 5 homes and they were out of our price range, with only one income to start out ($1000+). I don't want to be too far removed from the city, but if you know of rental companies that may have homes in Aiken, North Augusta, even towards New Ellenton, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:05 PM

25 posts, read 83,404 times
Wackenhut dycked over my husband for 5 years. He relocated from NC to MD with them and they continued to give him the shaft. Moving him for this location to that one. Downgrading him at time in rank and position and finally sticking him in a 3rd shift job for months. We finally broke free of that place and never looked back.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:47 AM

What was your husband's position? That sucks. Has anyone worked specifically as a special response team member for the Savannah River Site? Not a security guard..but as a police officer III. This is a 5 month training position that pays better than the 10-12 an hour positions that I know they also have. I really want some information from this area, if possible. Is there anyone else who just got hired this year? Supposedly there are about 40 people starting in July. ??

Old 08-30-2007, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 7,951 times
Be skeptical about taking that job. The training is very long and if you mess up just one time, you are gone without a job and jobs are very hard to come by here. The pay and benefits are ok for what you do, but the turn over is very high and it is not to me worth the risk of moving to a new state uprooting your family to possibly be out of a job as quickly as you found it. I know many people who work/worked out there and not too many are happy with their jobs. They train like they are going into combat to do nothing but guard their posts, sometimes not in contact with anyone for their entire shift. Another thing is rent is very high here, because of SRS, the people employed there can afford lavish homes, then the average Joe who doesn't have the income struggles to make ends meet. The schools aren't too bad here, that depends on who you ask. I've seen a lot worse and a lot better. I was born and raised here and it is an OK place to live and it is fairly safe, crime isn't all that bad compared to big cities. There are a lot of retired people and a lot of people who own Thoroughbred horses and play Polo or race them here. Lots of old money and the playground for the rich is what's its been called. Weigh your options and be careful. Like I said if you don't work out there there isn't much else that pays like that.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 PM

15 posts, read 42,978 times
Question Wackenhut and Security

We will be moving to Richmond County this week. I worked security (Wackenhut) in Florida for a few years and quit. Cold reptilian company, in my humble opinion. Will not be doing anything for a time and then thought about applying to one of the local security companies such as Sizemore. SR Project would be way too far to drive and I don't want to be a some sort of para-military or SRT.......just regular physical security.

Does anyone know anything of regular security jobs, the companies, or how well, (or badly) they pay? Any advice appreciated.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:56 PM

6 posts, read 24,243 times
Default security jobs

Pay is average for security companies. Some sites locally pay well, others do not. I work for Regent Security in Augusta. They seem to pay more than Sizemore. Security that requires some computer abilities seem to pay more here.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 24,243 times
Pay is average for security companies. Some sites locally pay well, others do not. I work for Regent Security in Augusta. They seem to pay more than Sizemore. Security that requires some computer abilities seem to pay more here.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:30 PM

15 posts, read 42,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augusta68 View Post

We will be living on the southernmost edge of Richmond County near Burke. Actually, we're almost halfway between Augusta-proper and Waynesboro. I am wondering what kind of jobs exist out there in the woods? I'm female with about 5 more years to go before retirement so career-building or making a big salary isn't important. I'd just like something to do part time for the joy of it and for extra money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina