U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,398 times
Default Possibly moving to Aiken and have some questions

My husband recently found out that his company will allow him to telecommute from home. We currently live in the Annapolis, MD area and would like to move south. We have friends in the Aiken area and they really love it there. I am looking for some additional input on what the pros and cons are about the area. Also, what parts of the city or subdivisions are the best. With the help of the internet, we have been looking at homes in Woodside Plantation and Houndslake. These subdivisions both offer the amenities that we are looking for (golf, pool, clubhouse). Are there any other areas that we should focus our attention? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 06:59 AM

9,639 posts, read 4,160,311 times
Well, you have looked in two of the best neighborhoods of the town - then it all depends on your budget, since Woodside will be more expensive that Houndslake. We live in Woodside but are tenants and don't use the amenities, but I know the fees are quite high.
Life in Aiken is great, it's a nice little town everything one needs- but I suppose your friends have already told you! Then it depends on your lifestyle and what you are used to...

Old 03-02-2010, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,398 times
Thanks for your input, Sudcaro:-) We are going to visit at the end of March and will take at look at these neighborhoods.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:15 AM

11 posts, read 9,951 times
Default Woodside Plantation Aiken, SC

We are looking at relocating to Aiken South Carolina and are interested in Woodside Plantation? Please share any comments on both retiring to Aiken and living in Woodside Plantation. My husband and I are both golfers and appreciate thoughts on The Reserve also. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:39 PM

166 posts, read 25,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie2007 View Post
We are looking at relocating to Aiken South Carolina and are interested in Woodside Plantation? Please share any comments on both retiring to Aiken and living in Woodside Plantation. My husband and I are both golfers and appreciate thoughts on The Reserve also. Thanks.
I lived in Aiken for two years when I worked at the Savannah River Site. Woodside Plantation is one of the best neighborhoods there but it is a gated community so I was never able to check out in person. I am thinking the Reserve is out in Jackson near the Savannah River Site and that looks like a nice neighborhood too but good aways from Aiken. Many people I worked with lived in Woodside.

AIken has several other golf courses including Houndslake.

You might want to check out a new community called Trolley Run Station or something like that, it is out behind USC-Aiken. I don't think they have a golf course out there yet but I drove through there few months ago and it seems nice. There is a new and very nice YMCA out that way too.

Aiken is a nice town with probably the best downtown in the state for a small town. They have more chain restaurants there now that were not there when I was like Five Guys Burgers. It has a reputation as a retirement town so I think it is a good place to retire b/c lot of people in your age range to hang out with.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:16 PM

100 posts, read 76,475 times
The reserve club is an upgrade at woodside. Kind of a private club within a private club.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,671 times
Aiken Blows.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:11 AM

100 posts, read 76,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Body View Post
Aiken Blows.
So where are you from?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 AM

425 posts, read 231,388 times
Aiken is probably the nicest small town overall in South Carolina. Florence is a tad bit bigger but also nice but doesn't have have a nice downtown area like Aiken.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenites View Post
So where are you from?
Funny how the people who say things like this don't ever come back to explain why their home town/city is better...haha. In my opinion, people who would say that "Aiken blows" are the types who only want to waste their paychecks at bars and clubs. If you understand that there is more to life than going to bars and vomiting on carpets after getting drunk at parties, you will find plenty to do in Aiken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina