Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I think it's because much of the state politics in NC are eastern-based.
people in the east complain that the state funnels all infrastructure money into Charlotte and Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 09:02 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times
-Shrug-

SC has always been stubborn and ornery...and a thorn in several President's backsides. It is one of the reasons Im happy to say Im from SC, though I was born in NC and could claim either. South Carolina is the fighter of the two...and always will be.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:59 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,521 times
I love feisty people and there is nothing wrong with SC being stubborn and fighting to be different.....but at what price? When something is broken people should have common sense enough to see that it is broken and take action to fix it. If being stubborn were serving SC well I would say if it is not broke then don't fix it. The problem is that SC love affair with being ornery is keeping the state and it's residents in a state of poverty.

Maybe it is just me but I don't understand why anybody would want to accept failure when it is possible to succeed at greatness......never lived around people who so easily accept defeat until I lived in SC! I'm just sayin

Old 03-26-2010, 05:17 AM

12,902 posts, read 18,751,931 times
As far as the two states' cities' psyches are concerned (since this is Citydata.org), I think Charlotte loves Charlotte, Raleigh loves Raleigh, Charleston loves Charleston, Greenville loves Greenville and Columbia loves South Carolina.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:53 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Sounds like liberal propaganda. The writer failed to provide information regarding the high unemployment rate in NC (11.1%), caused by continual job losses. Furthermore, while the Myrtle Beach area may not be seeing new jobs added to help slow the bleeding, there have been a steady stream of new job announcements in other parts of SC (Upstate, Midlands, Lowcountry). These were completely ignored by the writer when he/she wrote about new job announcements in NC.

We need to look at places around the country where government has grown too large and is struggling or completely failing to accomplish what was promised. The government should not become our caretaker beyond basic national security, in my opinion.
Higher taxes don't solve the problem. Just look at California! http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,2015692.story

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=48452 (broken link)

Also look at Rhode Island where public school teachers are among the highest paid in the country www.whatcheer.net/ripr/ripr11.pdf
where there are only two high schools (Barrington and East Greenwich)with decent test scores where the majority of kids achieve grade level reading and math in 11th grade and where the majority of schools can't even manage to get half of the class to this level and in some cases it is as little as 6%. http://www.greatschools.org/cgi-bin/...all=1&from=tab

Compare this to Wando High School which outperforms even this "best" high school in RI. http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/.../254#from..Tab

Also note the state average standardized test scores for SC are far better than they are in Rhode Island. For Math the state average in SC is:85% ; for RI it is: 27% For Reading and Writing/Language Arts in SC it is:88% in RI it is: 69% for reading 42% for writing.

Even West Ashley High School in Charleston that gets a parental score of only 4 on a scale of one to ten far outshines the average Rhode Island public high school education based on their test scores of 85% in English and 75% in Math.
http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/...1440#from..Tab

The bottom line is you don't always get what you pay for. South Carolinians are getting a FAR better return on their tax dollar investment than they realize when it comes to public school education here.

Last edited by emilybh; 03-28-2010 at 07:06 AM..

Old 03-28-2010, 10:48 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Higher taxes don't solve the problem...
Emily, high taxes never guarantee success. Long-term inadequate funding, on the other hand, sooner or later results in failure, lack of growth and loss of opportunity. There's no question there are pockets of academic excellence within SC. Unfortunately, those who promote SC's education system always seem to cherry-pick the same schools, without looking at the big picture. The "Corridor of Shame (http://sic.sc.gov/sicvideoresources/viewcorridorofshame.htm - broken link)" has become a cliche' within discussions of SC schools. Very few are willing to take the time to see the full presentation, and yet, it is a graphic demonstration of what education is like on a daily basis in much of SC outside the more affluent districts.

I always get a kick out of my fellow citizens who proclaim SC's independence from the "huge, overbloated Feds", and yet rely daily on federal funding for much of our own responsibilities. For at least the past decade, SC tax cuts have underfunded things as basic as unemployment insurance. Even now, we are moving forward with drastic reductions in corporate taxes, while looking for DC to provide funding (that evil Stimulus money) to keep teachers employed.

Quote:
South Carolinians are getting a FAR better return on their tax dollar investment than they realize when it comes to public school education here...
If you would amend that to say "Some South Carolinians", I would agree with you, but only because the lack of our personal investment is being compensated by funding from that evil Big Brother.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:11 PM

35 posts, read 140,337 times
I'm from NJ and my husband and I are retiring to South Carolina--Part of it is the cost--but we really like the people there. We would both like to volunteer and try to contribute to our new community. SC is a really great state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina