Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:33 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,063,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCNativeRN View Post
I am a native South Carolinian, born and raised in the Midlands. I moved to TN and lived in Knoxville for 7 years. Then I had some sort of idiot attack and moved to Charleston. It is NOT what the people on this board are making it out to be. It's a nasty city, with hateful wanna-be natives. Full of transplants who've brought their trashy ways with them. Everyone wants to "be from here" and NONE of them are. Traffic is nightmarish.....live on Johns Island or Mount Pleasant and have a high wind day.....You're NOT getting off the island to go anywhere, because the JI connector and the Ravenel bridge close. I've since moved to Columbia, and while it has it's flaws, it's a nice place to live. For the most part, people are friendly and there is a lot to do. If you happen to root for a college football team other than USC, you are an outcast, and they WILL try to convert you....not happening. Housing is pretty cheap, but urban sprawl is in full swing. The job market is pretty good, especially if you're in healthcare. In the next year or so, I plan to try and move to Greenville....I love the mountains and actually having 4 seasons...In Columbia, you get two....summer and the other one.....Be forewarned, it gets HOT here, and the humidity is murderous.....However....You're an hour and a half to Charleston, and 2 hours from Myrtle Beach and the Upstate, and just a bit over 2 hours to Hilton Head and Beaufort. Easy day trips to anywhere!
You're entitled to your misguided opionion of Charleston, but tell me, exactly when did the JI Connector or the Ravenel Bridge ever close due to a "high wind day"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:27 PM

304 posts, read 266,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCNativeRN View Post
I am a native South Carolinian, born and raised in the Midlands. I moved to TN and lived in Knoxville for 7 years. Then I had some sort of idiot attack and moved to Charleston. It is NOT what the people on this board are making it out to be. It's a nasty city, with hateful wanna-be natives. Full of transplants who've brought their trashy ways with them. Everyone wants to "be from here" and NONE of them are. Traffic is nightmarish.....live on Johns Island or Mount Pleasant and have a high wind day.....You're NOT getting off the island to go anywhere, because the JI connector and the Ravenel bridge close. I've since moved to Columbia, and while it has it's flaws, it's a nice place to live. For the most part, people are friendly and there is a lot to do. If you happen to root for a college football team other than USC, you are an outcast, and they WILL try to convert you....not happening. Housing is pretty cheap, but urban sprawl is in full swing. The job market is pretty good, especially if you're in healthcare. In the next year or so, I plan to try and move to Greenville....I love the mountains and actually having 4 seasons...In Columbia, you get two....summer and the other one.....Be forewarned, it gets HOT here, and the humidity is murderous.....However....You're an hour and a half to Charleston, and 2 hours from Myrtle Beach and the Upstate, and just a bit over 2 hours to Hilton Head and Beaufort. Easy day trips to anywhere!
Knoxville is ok but I think I like SC a lot better than it. What you said about Columbia and USC is probably even worse with Knoxville and U of Tenn. Knoxville doesn't seem particularly clean so weird you think Charleston is nasty. Urban sprawl along Kingston Pike in Knoxville probalby some of the worse in the states.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,225 times
I won't to relocate to sc somewhere by the ocean i have a son that is in middle school and I'm moving form ohio where we stay now is a mix of all races and i won't the same when i move i just don't won't my son to feel out of place is there anywhere in sc that has that feeling of a melting pot of different races going on

Old 07-19-2014, 11:29 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
You're entitled to your misguided opionion of Charleston, but tell me, exactly when did the JI Connector or the Ravenel Bridge ever close due to a "high wind day"?
The old Cooper River Bridge i can see closing but the new one has only closed once during the ice storm, and that was because it heated up so fast the ice came down all at once...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina