U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:45 AM

142 posts, read 685,073 times
Default Best overall place to live: SC, GA, or FL ?

Hello Everyone,

I am just looking to get some opinions on this matter. I used to live in Miami, FL, and then moved all the way across the country to Portland, OR. Portland is a safer, greener and more far more peaceful place to live than Miami, but I find myself missing the beach and the sunny winters of FL. If I were to move back to the southern east coast, which of these states do you think has the most to offer? Think about things such as cost of living, climate, culture (and acceptance of other cultures), crime, pollution, job opportunities, etc. Thanks!!

Also, which specific areas within these states would you all consider the best overall? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 02:03 PM

142 posts, read 685,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGUSTA 520 View Post
augusta,ga
Care to elaborate?

Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 PM

404 posts, read 1,008,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGUSTA 520 View Post
augusta,ga
I suggest that the area around Augusta is very nice. I include the suburbs of Augusta as well as South Carolina right next door (North Augusta and Aiken to name but two nice spots). However, the city of Augusta would be a less than desirable place to live.

Rich

Old 06-07-2007, 02:28 PM

95 posts, read 297,282 times
Anywhere but Orlando! I can't wait to get out. Traffic, crime, high cost of living, low wages, poor quality of life all around.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:32 PM

49 posts, read 177,882 times
Florida is out! People are moving in left and right from Florida to the Upstate of South Carolina.

Augusta is terrible. I lived in Aiken SC and we would visit Augusta a good bit and the crime is terrible and the area is not attractive either. Aiken is a beautiful place but the heat in the summer is horrible. About every day is 90 to 100+ with alot of humidity and the ground is mostly sand in alot of areas. Also the crime in Aiken on a few sides is pretty for such a small place.

Although I do not wish for MORE people to move to South Carolina it is the best place to live. I have been all over the USA and you will be hard pressed to find a place with cheap housing, overall good weather, low crime, Nice people, Beautiful Mountains and the beach, etc.

The best places in South Carolina are Simpsonville and Fountain Inn if you want to be near Greenville. Columbia is very hot and humid also in the summer months but there are a good bit of small towns near columbia. The coast is too expensive for most people from South Carolina.

There are quite a few very small towns (2000 to 15,000) that have very cheap housing and nice weather. My hometown has an 8Br House in Near Perfect Condition for $115,000. Nice 2 Bedrooms for $30,000 Land Dirt Cheap but you are 45 Miles from Greenville or Columbia or Spartanburg. Newberry is very nice, very cheap and only 30 minutes from columbia.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:14 PM

660 posts, read 1,257,099 times
I don't know how long since you left FL, but you better be rich to move back. In recent years, real estate has tripled, property taxes have tripled, and homeowner's insurance has quadrupled, at least anywhere within 25 miles of the water. We can't wait to leave; we have acreage outside Greenville SC, and plan to build in a couple years. We looked around GA, but fell in love w/ Greenville.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:01 PM

2,141 posts, read 4,759,887 times
I live in Florida but I have a home in South Carolina, I'm not a halfback due to the fact I was born in Florida. I would say hands down the upstate of Carolina. But sometimes I feel like I'm doing to Carolina what Killed Florida.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:20 PM
YSS

5 posts, read 40,130 times
Hi.,
I can give you a quick insight as I'm currently living in Fl. and had just recently visited Charleston and Summerville in SC and found both places actually offer more than what I have here in Fl. ..The people I've met were extreemly friendly and kind...... both towns were absolutely beautiful..The beaches are far more beautiful....the sand is nothing like you see anywhere else..I have lived in Fl. for 20 yrs and never had much desire to be at the beach but could stay 10 hours at the beach in Summerville..Everywhere we ate were great..no matter what road you're on, you feel like you're on a Sunday drive.. the plantations are priceless in Summerville and for the same amount of money, you can actually have more of a house there then you would in Fl. I would love to one day live in Summerville or have a vacation home there..it's that beautiful..just pure tranquility with a real country feeling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am just looking to get some opinions on this matter. I used to live in Miami, FL, and then moved all the way across the country to Portland, OR. Portland is a safer, greener and more far more peaceful place to live than Miami, but I find myself missing the beach and the sunny winters of FL. If I were to move back to the southern east coast, which of these states do you think has the most to offer? Think about things such as cost of living, climate, culture (and acceptance of other cultures), crime, pollution, job opportunities, etc. Thanks!!

Also, which specific areas within these states would you all consider the best overall? Thanks again.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:25 PM

882 posts, read 2,229,020 times
As others have stated:

The midstate area of SC is HOT. There are more jobs readily available in the service & professional sectors and the cost of living is more moderate.

The upstate I'm not that familiar with, but seems to be increasing in popularity.

The Lowcountry/Coastal area is a hotbed right now and has been for a number of years. I see no real slowdown for the next 5-10 years. Certain sectors of the market have grown exponentially, especially during the 'flip-craze' of 2005. This has allowed other sectors of the market to continue to climb while the condo market corrects itself, and let's face it, any market, regardless of locale, will correct itself if prices get out of control...

I've lived in Myrtle Beach now for 15 years, and like any tourist driven area, there are growing pains that are associated with the growth patterns. In that respect, it's as simple as this.. I can do nearly anything I like to do YEAR ROUND and any store, shop or eatery that isn't within a 15 mile radius of my house I don't need. The simplicity and convenience that this area offers is ideal for me. The lifestyle and pace of life fits me to a 'T'.

Depending on what, exactly, is important to you, you may want to consider the Myrtle Beach area. If it's NOT your 'cup O tea' consider Georgetown, Johnsonville, Andrews and the surrounding areas. Property is still very inexpensive there, well, maybe save areas of Georgetown, but jobs and 'amenities' are scarce as well.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM

10 posts, read 47,263 times
I can't wait to follow this one as I have a job offer in SC, TN, GA and FL and can't decide what to do.
Columbia? Goodlettsiville? Tallahassee? Newnan?
Donna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina