Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:23 AM

24 posts, read 62,605 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Columbia, moved away for several years, and decided to move back to Columbia a year ago. I really love living here! There is so much to do in terms of entertainment, outdoors, nightlife, etc. I'm an extremely active 26 year old, single man, and I've never been bored living here! I would compare the overall quality of life in Columbia against most ANY other city this country, because you have "big city" benefits without as many "big city" problems. You also have low cost of living, lack of major traffic, central location to beach/mountains, friendly culture, a major research university downtown, one of the best lakes in the Southeast, three rivers, etc.

But I am getting extremely frustrated with Columbia's massive "inferiority complex" about itself. I cannot go a single day without someone complaining to me about Columbia. It's amazing how many people who have never lived anywhere else are just CONVINCED that anywhere HAS to be better than Columbia. And, so, they move away, only to realize that Columbia is actually much better than many other cities! Trust me, I've lived in other places, I traveled extensively throughout the Southeast for the last three years for my job. I've been to other places, and it just convinced me that Columbia is a wonderful city that has so much more to offer than its residents even realize.

My point is this....Columbia residents need to drop this ridiculous mindset that Columbia is some massively inferior place. I would compare Columbia to a teenage girl who is actually very attractive, and with a lot to offer. She absolutely "brings a lot to the table," but she believes she is ugly and unworthy, because her older sister (named "Charleston") is one of the prettiest girls in school. While good looking and popular, "Charleston" is also a compete and toal snob, who constantly berates her younger sister, and tells her how awful she is. "Charleston" is in such a different world than the rest of the school (country) that she is completely out of touch with reality. It's not easy living in the same house (South Carolina) as the most popular kid in school. If Columbia lived in another house (state), she would no doubt have a much higher self-esteem, but "Charleston's" constant attitude toward her sister has scarred "Columbia." To make matters worse, Columbia's other sister, named "Greenville" just recently became good looking and popular. "Greenville" is new to this popularity thing, and therefore, is going through a "snobbery phase" of its own, in an attempt to be like its sister "Charleston."

Okay, got a little carried away there, but I think it's an apt analogy. Columbia may not be the GREATEST, MOST AWESOMEST, MOST COOLEST city in the world, but it sure as hell ain't bad at all!

Sorry for the rant, just needed to get that off my chest. Soap box off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 12:13 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,449,170 times
So you're saying it's all relative?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:24 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,608,174 times
Oh, don't worry, it appears that Greenville is supercilious enough to cover both cities.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 PM

24 posts, read 62,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
So you're saying it's all relative?

LOL, touche! I guess what I am saying is that, whether you are talking about a person or a city, success begins with self-confidence and the belief in yourself. Now, I happen to believe that Columbia has just as much to offer as Greenville--if not more in many areas. But where I give major credit to Greenville is that Greenville is a VERY self-confident city right now. Because of that, they have been able to continue to promote themselves in a positive light to outsiders. Columbia still lacks the self-confidence to promote themselves. Too often, Columbia residents almost take an apologetic approach for loving their city! And that is a big problem!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:35 PM

5,518 posts, read 15,289,849 times
This thread should be merged into the "Rivalries" thread, in my opinion, since that is the only point behind it.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:42 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,485,805 times
Rybar, I agree with you. Most people who HAVE lived other places really love Columbia and all it has to offer. I do think that part of Columbia's charm, though, is that most people here are down-to-earth and non-pretentious. It very much is a "middle-class" type of city and doesn't have a huge slough of very wealthy or very poor people. I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather live (though I'd have a condo in Manhattan as a vacation home if I were wealthy).

Old 05-21-2009, 07:35 PM

403 posts, read 1,186,050 times
I live in the Charleston area and I would take Columbia over Charleston any day of the week. I'm not sure why Cola residents would think of their city as inferior to Charleston because other than the beach there is really NOTHING here.

It's funny you made this thread because I tell my wife all the time how much Cola kind of reminds me of being back in NJ, as far as the urbanity of it. If my job didn't require me to be in this area I'd make the move up I-26 west in a heartbeat.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:19 PM

800 posts, read 1,454,956 times
I have to agree--Columbia seems to get an unfair rap for a bunch of reasons. The Charleston crowd knocks it (as they do most other places in the country) for its lack of coastal environs and relative lack of history. The Greenville crowd knocks it for its hotter summers and lack of proximity to the mountains. And, when you think about it, SC is very much an anti-government kind of place, so it makes sense that the center of state gov't would be looked at with some inherent mistrust.

I've lived in a lot of areas around the country, including Columbia and Greenville/Anderson in SC, and I have to say I enjoyed my years in Columbia as well as anywhere else.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,964,495 times
it's kinda funny, locals here can complain about what they have, or if "you gotta drive 2 hours to the beach", etc...

And for a transplant like ourselves from WI, those are all great qualities....

Old 05-22-2009, 06:19 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,651,337 times
Greenville and Charleston gang up on Columbia. What the problem is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina